Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
I once rented a room in a flea-infested house. Shampooing all the carpet helped a great deal.

toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Get a flea killer for the cat (like Frontline) and shampoo carpets like toofrugalformycat suggested. This took care of our problem. When it is spring / summer we treat our indoor cat with Frontline just to stop anything like your experiencing from happening.

F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
Borax laundry powder in carpet and rugs is amazingly effective, and cheap. Doesn't help those of us in hardwood/tile land, though. Borax will also kill roaches.

I fight and lose, expensively, every year. What we spend on flea control could feed an army! But with 4 dogs and 5 cats right now, it is inevitable.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The first thing I did was get rid of all the carpet in the house. It helped alot. I have tried all the indoor cures and they all work pretty well but without control of yard fleas they just continue to come in on the pants legs and any indoor-outdoor pets one has. My DH found bifenthrin

Bifenthrin Information, Bifenthrin Products - Free Shipping

and it works wonders. We put it out in the spring or early summer and it has cut back on pet fleas by 90% and we now see only an occasional indoor flea.

And yes, we do live in TEXAS, where even the bugs are tougher.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.<br />-Robert A. Heinlein
two4theroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets
Chigger bites can vary depending on your immune response. On me they look a lot like flea bites but last much longer. I have found that they can be defeated by washing and soaping with HOT water (esp. one's legs). This kills them but will not stop the itching from the bite. Two hot showers a day with lots of soap and washing clothes (esp pants) that have been out in the grass or bush will stop the bites.

Fleas are much easier to deal with, treat the cat or dog and flea bomb the house. Hoover like mad. Repeat if necessary.

Fleas are far easier to control than chiggers--of which nature will supply in unimited numbers (until the outside temp goes below 40--then they DIE!)
mtmozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
For me, chigger bites are nearly unbearable. Once when a kid, I got sick and passed out in a wild blackberry thicket (picking berries). Had to lie there a while until I could walk back to the car. I was literally covered in chiggers; you can't imagine what I went through. Evidently my immune response to these critters is either too good or not very good at all! That's been 40 years ago and I still remember vividly....
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hard to imagine a bubba being bothered by chigger bites...
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hard to imagine a bubba being bothered by chigger bites...
Believe it, my friend!
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
Uggh---if that's really true about chiggers existing until it gets below 40, I'm in for months of bites!
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.------Krishnamurti
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
All I get bitten by is NYC mosquitos.

but - If you have 'unidentified bug bites' a visit to the doctor wouldn't hurt.

I know someone who emailed such a 'bite' to a doctor friend via her phone while on vacation. The message was 'go to the hospital NOW. RIGHT NOW.' "but can't I wait until I get back from vacation? "NOW!!!"

It was a multiple drug resistant staph infection - fortunately, at that point it was "Remove, and take a course of really nasty pills"

Three days later it would have been "Who do we call, and are your affairs in order?"

mews is offline   Reply With Quote