Join Early Retirement Today

United Health Overcharging
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

United Health Overcharging

Thought you folks might be interested in this.Things like this happening might give a little boost to getting better prices or at least draw attention to the problems.
Steve

Health insurer accused of overcharging millions

UnitedHealth Group agrees to a $50 million settlement after investigation

Health insurer accused of overcharging millions - Health - MSNBC.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have United also. I have hammered them many times regarding payments.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta love those insurance companies.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone could sit down with doctors, hospitals, other health care providers, and figure out exactly what health care should cost (not what insurance companies should pay) and then insurance companies would take our money, put it in the lock box, let it make money, take their little holding-fee cut, and then pay those true costs when and if we get sick or hurt. Too easy, I know.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Press Release: Former UnitedHealth Group CEO/Chairman Settles Stock Options Backdating Case for $468 Million; 2007-255; Dec. 6, 2007

Imagine if your garden-variety drug-dealers and bank robbers got this kind of treatment: just pay back the $$ (or some of it) and we'll call it even.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Gotta love those insurance companies.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone could sit down with doctors, hospitals, other health care providers, and figure out exactly what health care should cost (not what insurance companies should pay) and then insurance companies would take our money, put it in the lock box, let it make money, take their little holding-fee cut, and then pay those true costs when and if we get sick or hurt. Too easy, I know.
You've described exactly how Medicare works. Private companies bid to insure states and/or bundles of smaller states. The winning insurance company for the contract does exactly what you wrote above.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barker View Post
You've described exactly how Medicare works. Private companies bid to insure states and/or bundles of smaller states. The winning insurance company for the contract does exactly what you wrote above.
But is the first part of the process done--is the actual cost of services determined by the provider (not by the payer)? (If so, why would some providers stop serving Medicare patients--if they're being paid the actual cost of services, why not serve them?)

I believe some colleges at least are now trying to determine their actual cost of providing education so they can price their tuition accordingly.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

This is just another one of those "BEHIND CLOSED DOORS" Government approved scam. These are patterned after the cigarette settlement.

"Lie to the people, cheat them, take as much as you can for as long as possible, the govment via the courts will help out and exhonorate you, just share with us some of your gains."

In the case of cigarettes, give us loads of money and we will help you charge more to get it for us.

Not unlike the current more direct approach for friends of the govment, direct payment of billions in bailout funds.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But is the first part of the process done--is the actual cost of services determined by the provider (not by the payer)? (If so, why would some providers stop serving Medicare patients--if they're being paid the actual cost of services, why not serve them?)

I believe some colleges at least are now trying to determine their actual cost of providing education so they can price their tuition accordingly.
No, the prices are determined by Medicare. Which is similar to what the insurance companies do - determine what procedures they will cover and what prices they will pay.

Unfortunately, I think Medicare prices are low in some areas - NYC for instance. Here's a NYT article: PHYSICIANS REFUSE MEDICARE PATIENTS

As we see, having to rely on insurance companies is bad... and medicare needs adjustments in some cases. I live in an area where medicare payments probably keep up better with doctors' charges.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Article was published in 1992, may not be same today.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's still continuing to be a problem. This article (Crisis looms: Medicare coverage doesn't pay enough, doctors refuse service, and Medicare) is from Nov 1, 2007. Perhaps people currently on medicare could comment. I hope this problem is addressed as part of the health-care solutions being proposed.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The best thing to do is throw out all of the actuarial tables and start spending your money, NOW.

I take care of 3 parents ages 78,78, and 95 watching their money pissing down the drain with the gaps not covered. Whether they had a millions of dollars or were broke, it doesnt matter, same care. Two are in homes. If not paid by their funds would be paid by state medicaid.

Saving money after a certain age is bullshit, set up a false ID, put the money there. After a certain age, your health goes down the tubes anyhow, so those over 50, live it up now, it doesn't get better in most cases. In reality, you need less then you think to live.

jug