Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could definitely be worse!
And very well might be.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
here's a fun chart from the IRS mortality data showing age versus the probability of being alive. Men (blue) and women (red).

Note that at 80 around 45% of the men and around 65% of the women are still alive...
Wow! Nice chart.

But why do I have this nagging feeling that I will not be among those 45% after 80? Self-fulfilling prophecy? I don't think so. Perhaps I do not want to set my expectation too high.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are these numbers adjusted for the fact that people are not dying of some other causes? This is a zero-sum game for us mere mortals.

IIRC, the correct way to measure this is incidences of new cancers at each age, as a % of population at that age. And then you need to adjust for diagnostic techniques that might find more cancers than in the past.

-ERD50
I do not know exactly how the statistics are collected and computed. But let's put aside the increase in cancer rate among younger people (I have to look for that again).

I think it is reasonable to expect that as mortality due to contagious diseases and easily curable problems such as appendicitis is reduced by modern medicine, people live longer to suffer from cancer or other deterioration due to old age. Is there a limit to how many cycles our cells can replicate? And while knee and hip replacements are common now, what about other bones in our body?

My late father-in-law was doing so well in his late 80s, then went downhill fast in his early 90s. Doctors cannot pinpoint to anything wrong. It's just general deterioration of all the muscles and joints and Bell's palsy.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am hoping we can get downloaded into a machine and live forever. With only 40 years left in my life (estimate of 83) there is not much time so these young kids better study hard.

The real question is how much it will cost. Food and healthcare costs replaced by speed, bandwidth, storage. I don't want my digital retirement to be ad supported.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound

Sorry to hear about FIL, there's stuff that modern medicine doesn't understand yet.

Yep, you can replace knees, hips etc.....
Other stuff, general aging, brain diseases, not so much. Sadly for some 'living to a ripe old age', may not be as most picture.

MRG
Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
"what age is the oldest person you know?"
My grandmother on my father's side lived to age 102. She was born in 1899, so actually lived in 3 separate centuries (though didn't have a great deal of experience with 2 of them!)

I'm hoping I have inherited a few of her genes.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Life expectancy at age 65 seems to be increasing at over a year per decade. For someone like me (age 48 male), I may have to add about 4 years or so to current life expectancies.

Here are the numbers for male (all races) life expectancy at age 65, from:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2011/022.pdf

1950 12.8
1960 12.8
1970 13.1
1980 14.1
1990 15.1
2000 16.0
2010 17.7
This is precisely what I described as "not dramatic" increases. We (I am 65) will get an extra 5 or 6 years on average (only 3 more than my parents). Far from the decades the bio-optimists predict. What I am upbeat about is that with good exercise and eating habits many of us may be able to get a decent quality out of those few extra years and then fall off a health cliff and die. But that may just be wishful thinking.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

What I do not like to hear is

"Yes, the good news is that you will live 10 more years. The bad news is that you will live those years in pain and misery".