Using Our Leisure Time Wisely in Retirement

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Short but worthwhile article IMO. One of the often repeated central debates underlying various discussions here :horse:seems to be those who vigorously defend pure Type I behavior, and others who defend Type II. Fortunately many see middle ground more easily. It seems clear the healthiest approach is somewhere in the middle as the article suggests, though I know exactly who will come back (or want to) and tell me otherwise in no uncertain terms.

FWIW...life's too short, and it's your life.

Using Our Leisure Time Wisely in Retirement | Retirement Options Your Retirement Coaching Resource

Are you a Type I who needs to use more of your leisure for meaningful activities? Or, are you a Type II who needs to give up feeling guilty about doing activities just for pure enjoyment?

Last edited:
The LBYM mentality may not be synonymous with Type II, but IMO there's a ton of overlap.

Last edited:
I had enough of people dictating how I used my time while working. I am sure not going to listen to anyone telling me how to use my retirement time. Except maybe my Grandkids.:)

I had enough of people dictating how I used my time while working. I am sure not going to listen to anyone telling me how to use my retirement time. Except maybe my Grandkids.:)

Good point.

I understand and applaud your desire to be an independent person in retirement.

I'd just point out that many of us talking about time usage in retirement are trying to say how we have enriched our experience (discovered how to find more happiness) with some activities. But happiness is very individual and so the method of discussion should be about how we found our individual paths to post-work happiness. It should not be done to make someone see the error in their ways -- well at least not directly.

I read the article in the OP and it seems reasonable. Very simplistic to categorize people into Type 1 or Type 2. I refuse to go along with that. :) Having said that, I mostly engage in enriching activities. I just cannot stand to watch a TV program that is the same-old-same-old. To me entertainment is not any good if it is formulaic. It should show you a slice of life that you don't know about or tell you about some interesting scientific discovery or ... whatever. This is not everyone's approach to watching TV and is not even a popular notion. Still I don't have to ask anyone for permission to be this way in retirement. And that's a good thing, as someone (was it Martha S. ?) once said.

I must be a type l because I looked at the website to learn that the advice is offered by an apparent "certified retirement coach" because we boomers can't figure out this whole retirement thing and "need skilled, certified retirement coaches." Because we like people telling us what to do all day?

I can't tell how from the website how much the program would cost, either to become a skilled, certified retirement coach or to use the services of one. I sure hope we retired right!

I must be a type l because I looked at the website to learn that the advice is offered by an apparent "certified retirement coach" because we boomers can't figure out this whole retirement thing and "need skilled, certified retirement coaches." Because we like people telling us what to do all day?
I can't tell how from the website how much the program would cost, either to become a skilled, certified retirement coach or to use the services of one. I sure hope we retired right!
How fortunate that the article was written by a trained professional who can tell us when we're not doing it right...

It seems clear the healthiest approach is somewhere in the middle as the article suggests,

I think that that the healthiest approach is the one that is in sync with your personality, whatever that happens to be (excluding axe-murderers and the like :D)

Well 40 years ago someone thought we needed Masters and Johnson to teach us how to make love. Boomers are the gift that never stops giving, a group with needs to be told how, shown how, and given permission to get a drink of water. We are the perfect profit center. It will never end, god help us when we are mostly hearing about adult diapers and the proper cremation services.

Ha

Last edited:
It looks like the website is primarily about getting you to sign up for their retirement coaching course for the sum of $1195 plus $20 shipping.

Too judgmental for me. I have periods of time that I am each type, but I don't need some retired professor lecturing me on what I should do.

It looks like the website is primarily about getting you to sign up for their retirement coaching course for the sum of $1195 plus $20 shipping.
I never got that far. I only read the short article the link points to. I certainly wasn't trying to encourage retirement coaching, sorry.

Too judgmental for me. I have periods of time that I am each type, but I don't need some retired professor lecturing me on what I should do.
I guess so. I just thought the initial article was decent for the time spent. It might be easy to drift to one end or the other, Type I or Type II. And I don't worry about someone telling me what to do, no one could possibly unless I let them (my choice).

The hedline I presume to lead to some Pure Pablum. On which I did not waste leisure time. Retirement IS leisure time, Duh.

The hedline I presume to lead to some Pure Pablum. On which I did not waste leisure time. Retirement IS leisure time, Duh.

Or as Maggie Smith's wealthy character on Downton Abbey sniffed, when told a working stiff would be coming to visit on the weekend, "What, pray tell, is a weekend?"

Hrmm... I must be doing it wrong. Now I've got TWO cats parked on me.

This can't be an effective use of leisure time.

Last edited:
So, does this thread qualify as a wise use of one's leisure time?

Forget about this thread.

I have been questioning this entire Web site. :hide:

Some people will probably look at retirement and say, "Nah, no money in it." :LOL:

Amethyst

WOWZA. Again, it was never my intent for folks to explore the website to the extent some have, I was just pointing to the article and the idea of Type I and Type II. But clearly my mistake since several people have gone much deeper into the website than I intended. Maybe one day I'll learn (doubtful)...

WOWZA. Again, it was never my intent for folks to explore the website to the extent some have...

I did not explore the Web site you linked to. :)

What I meant was this Early Retirement Forum. :cool:

I must really log off now. :hide: :hide:

PS. Had to log back on to add that as a frequent forum poster and someone who spends a lot of time here, I posted the above as an ironic joke, in case people missed it. ;)

Last edited:
Hrmm... I must be doing it wrong. Now I've got TWO cats parked on me.

This can't be an effective use of leisure time.

Now those are some good retirement coaches! They are showing you what to do and "will coach for food."

Midpack, I always look at the source of what I read on the Internet. Not surprising people looked at the site you linked to, after looking at the article. Doesn't mean the article isn't worth reading.

WOWZA. Again, it was never my intent for folks to explore the website to the extent some have, I was just pointing to the article and the idea of Type I and Type II. But clearly my mistake since several people have gone much deeper into the website than I intended. Maybe one day I'll learn (doubtful)...

I think most of us here are Type III. That is, Type II initiative combined with Type I attitudes. That's why we give each other [-]such a hard time[/-] so much support. :)

Back
Top Bottom