Join Early Retirement Today

Using Our Leisure Time Wisely in Retirement
Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Short but worthwhile article IMO. One of the often repeated central debates underlying various discussions here seems to be those who vigorously defend pure Type I behavior, and others who defend Type II. Fortunately many see middle ground more easily. It seems clear the healthiest approach is somewhere in the middle as the article suggests, though I know exactly who will come back (or want to) and tell me otherwise in no uncertain terms.

FWIW...life's too short, and it's your life.

Using Our Leisure Time Wisely in Retirement | Retirement Options Your Retirement Coaching Resource

Quote:
Are you a Type I who needs to use more of your leisure for meaningful activities? Or, are you a Type II who needs to give up feeling guilty about doing activities just for pure enjoyment?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The LBYM mentality may not be synonymous with Type II, but IMO there's a ton of overlap.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

I had enough of people dictating how I used my time while working. I am sure not going to listen to anyone telling me how to use my retirement time. Except maybe my Grandkids.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I had enough of people dictating how I used my time while working. I am sure not going to listen to anyone telling me how to use my retirement time. Except maybe my Grandkids.
Good point.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand and applaud your desire to be an independent person in retirement.

I'd just point out that many of us talking about time usage in retirement are trying to say how we have enriched our experience (discovered how to find more happiness) with some activities. But happiness is very individual and so the method of discussion should be about how we found our individual paths to post-work happiness. It should not be done to make someone see the error in their ways -- well at least not directly.

I read the article in the OP and it seems reasonable. Very simplistic to categorize people into Type 1 or Type 2. I refuse to go along with that. Having said that, I mostly engage in enriching activities. I just cannot stand to watch a TV program that is the same-old-same-old. To me entertainment is not any good if it is formulaic. It should show you a slice of life that you don't know about or tell you about some interesting scientific discovery or ... whatever. This is not everyone's approach to watching TV and is not even a popular notion. Still I don't have to ask anyone for permission to be this way in retirement. And that's a good thing, as someone (was it Martha S. ?) once said.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
And that's a good thing, as someone (was it Martha S. ?) once said.
Yes it was.

I believe her full statement was "I'm out of prison, and that's a good thing."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I must be a type l because I looked at the website to learn that the advice is offered by an apparent "certified retirement coach" because we boomers can't figure out this whole retirement thing and "need skilled, certified retirement coaches." Because we like people telling us what to do all day?

I can't tell how from the website how much the program would cost, either to become a skilled, certified retirement coach or to use the services of one. I sure hope we retired right!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I must be a type l because I looked at the website to learn that the advice is offered by an apparent "certified retirement coach" because we boomers can't figure out this whole retirement thing and "need skilled, certified retirement coaches." Because we like people telling us what to do all day?
I can't tell how from the website how much the program would cost, either to become a skilled, certified retirement coach or to use the services of one. I sure hope we retired right!
How fortunate that the article was written by a trained professional who can tell us when we're not doing it right...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It seems clear the healthiest approach is somewhere in the middle as the article suggests,
I think that that the healthiest approach is the one that is in sync with your personality, whatever that happens to be (excluding axe-murderers and the like )
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well 40 years ago someone thought we needed Masters and Johnson to teach us how to make love. Boomers are the gift that never stops giving, a group with needs to be told how, shown how, and given permission to get a drink of water. We are the perfect profit center. It will never end, god help us when we are mostly hearing about adult diapers and the proper cremation services.

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #11

It looks like the website is primarily about getting you to sign up for their retirement coaching course for the sum of $1195 plus $20 shipping.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Too judgmental for me. I have periods of time that I am each type, but I don't need some retired professor lecturing me on what I should do.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
It looks like the website is primarily about getting you to sign up for their retirement coaching course for the sum of $1195 plus $20 shipping.
I never got that far. I only read the short article the link points to. I certainly wasn't trying to encourage retirement coaching, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Too judgmental for me. I have periods of time that I am each type, but I don't need some retired professor lecturing me on what I should do.
I guess so. I just thought the initial article was decent for the time spent. It might be easy to drift to one end or the other, Type I or Type II. And I don't worry about someone telling me what to do, no one could possibly unless I let them (my choice).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Um? A retirement coach? Because I'm doing it wrong?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #15

The hedline I presume to lead to some Pure Pablum. On which I did not waste leisure time. Retirement IS leisure time, Duh.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

The hedline I presume to lead to some Pure Pablum. On which I did not waste leisure time. Retirement IS leisure time, Duh.
Or as Maggie Smith's wealthy character on Downton Abbey sniffed, when told a working stiff would be coming to visit on the weekend, "What, pray tell, is a weekend?"
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Hrmm... I must be doing it wrong. Now I've got TWO cats parked on me.

This can't be an effective use of leisure time.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #18

So, does this thread qualify as a wise use of one's leisure time?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Forget about this thread.

I have been questioning this entire Web site.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Forget about this thread.

I have been questioning this entire Web site.