Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
From the USDA site:

"Dates on Egg Cartons
Use of either a "Sell-By" or "Expiration" (EXP) date is not federally required, but may be State required, as defined by the egg laws in the State where the eggs are marketed. Some State egg laws do not allow the use of a "sell-by" date.

Many eggs reach stores only a few days after the hen lays them. Egg cartons with the USDA grade shield on them must display the "pack date" (the day that the eggs were washed, graded, and placed in the carton). The number is a three-digit code that represents the consecutive day of the year starting with January 1 as 001 and ending with December 31 as 365. When a "sell-by" date appears on a carton bearing the USDA grade shield, the code date may not exceed 45 days from the date of pack.

Always purchase eggs before the "Sell-By" or "EXP" date on the carton. After the eggs reach home, refrigerate the eggs in their original carton and place them in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door. For best quality, use eggs within 3 to 5 weeks of the date you purchase them. The "sell-by" date will usually expire during that length of time, but the eggs are perfectly safe to use."

DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
I've never used eggs that were more than a few days beyond the carton date or maybe a week at the most. This morning I purchased a dozen eggs from Trader Joe's for $1.69 so the cost of potentially disposing of a couple 'old' eggs would not keep me awake at night.

When I was a kid we purchased our eggs from a local farm. Two brothers ran a commercial dairy farm and also kept chickens selling their eggs to the local community. The eggs were never refrigerated when we went to pick them up although we kept them cold at home. These eggs were not washed at the farm so I bet that is why they didn't need to be kept cold. The yolks were also a vibrant orange-yellow color unlike the yellow color yolks of the store bought eggs of today.

This has been an interesting and informative thread. Thanks to all for their contributions and I have a much better understanding about shelf life of eggs now.

powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks, everyone for your response. It's not so much that I hated wasting this carton of eggs; I wanted eggs and didn't want to go to the store. So, I took my life in my hands and scrambled 2 of them. No ill effects and they smelled and tasted great. Moral of this story, don't be afraid to take a chance on eggs 2 weeks past their expiration date.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Bringing the thread back on topic with the forum: I wonder how our answers (don't eat em vs eh go for it vs smell them and see, etc) correspond to our risk tolerance levels.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes dabbling in small caps in akin to avoiding breaking too many eggs

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote