Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If I can start eating less I can do better on my portions. If I can get those portions in control I should lose weight. I love veggies and fruit and eat basically chicken and fish, so I eat healthy overall despite the sideways move to a bag of M&M's occasionally....OK, more than occasionally then.

I wish I had some excuse like thyroid problems, but seems my only problem is I love food. And I eat like a famine is coming and I have to store up fast. And I never watch calories as in "I don't need no stink'n calorie watching" cause I'm plowing it in so fast or, as my son asks, "How long did you do time for?"
Have you read these Threads?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rbs-48983.html

or

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ook-53894.html

Where I say:

Quote:
Starvation Diets work because in the process of restricting all Calories, the body simply has to deal with fewer Calories from Carbohydrates.

However, the (necessary) Fat and Protein Calories are also (by definition) restricted. When F & P Calories are supplied in insufficient numbers your body demands you supply them... those "Hunger Pangs" again. If you increase the Calorie intake of F & P (even to greater than the total pre-Diet level) while continuing to restrict Carb Calories, you will lose weight or, at worst, maintain your current weight.

It is simply more fun to lose weight without Hunger as a constant companion. But for those masochists who believe in the "no pain, no gain" philosophy, a starvation diet is the way to go if weight lose is the goal

or Best of All:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...sis-46963.html
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I try to remember to take Metamucil every AM, or drink a Boost. Either one fills my stomach for hours.
I've never tried SlimFast. I remember reading an article a while back about a lady who lived on the stuff and had some internal organ issues. I tried to google it, but found nothing.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I try to remember to take Metamucil every AM, or drink a Boost. Either one fills my stomach for hours.
Freebird is right. Adding fiber to your food/drink can really decrease your hunger, and unless you are in the minority in this country, you probably should be getting more. The powder they sell (psyllium) is completely flavorless and unnoticeable. I've added it to oatmeal and smoothies and other foods, and there's no way to tell it's there. I'd definitely give that a try, see how it works for you.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Here, in order to make an informed decision, is the Nutritional Information for two Slim Fast products:

French Vanilla.JPG

French Vanilla-2.JPG

Low Carb-1.JPG

Low Carb-2.JPG

The 18 Grams of Sugar in the French Vanilla causes me some concern. And it looks like they eliminated Sugar from the Low-carb product to obtain the low-carb number. I don't have (at the ready) an Ingredient List for this product but the particular artificial sweetner they use may be of concern to some people.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

You can go to the website (slimfast.com) and see the ingredients. As I said before, there's very little in there that didn't come out of a test tube.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You can go to the website (slimfast.com) and see the ingredients. As I said before, there's very little in there that didn't come out of a test tube.
And that is what I got from looking at the Nutritional Data. A good Multi-vitamin and a big glass of water should duplicate these products... at a much lower cost.

(Didn't really care to look up the Ingredients.)
Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Orchid, one reason I like Weight Watchers is the emphasis on portion size control. They have a new program this January that takes into account the glycemic index values into their point system--it's easy to follow and works really well. If you give it a week (I think it's still free to sign up, and now you get everything you need the first week if you go to meeting--online is different) you might like it.

I think SlimFast is fine as an occasional meal replacement (better than skipping a meal) but it's really similar to those medical "liqui-fasts" that Oprah used way back (or should I say "weigh" back when, ha, ha) and we know how well that worked in the long run.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've never tried SlimFast. I remember reading an article a while back about a lady who lived on the stuff and had some internal organ issues. I tried to google it, but found nothing.
I tried some a long time ago that had added fiber. I don't know if they still make the fiber added product or not, but I swear that stuff gave me IBS for quite a while. I won't touch the stuff.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #29

Yeah...another friend the other day suggested Weight Watchers, too. Something to think about. I do know they make you eat sensibly...which means no treats.

I did join a beginners' hiking group to start doing hiking, too, plus, of course, I always hit the pool with the weights when it gets into the 74's here (outdoor pool in Az.). I sure missed it over the winter here....but more than that I miss a 10 foot pool like I had in Illinois. Here you get all those 4-1/2 feet pools...aaaaach!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #30

Orchid, did I miss something? When did you move to Arizona?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was working I used to get so in the zone that I would forget to eat. By 2-3 in the afternoon, I would get really grumpy (as in pitty the poor person who walked into my office). I found that keeping a supply of slim fast and V8 in my desk drawer were just the ticket...quick to drink and I was good to go for the rest of the day. Never used either to lose weight, just for convenience.

Nowdays, I seldom find myself too busy to eat. So...weight control = portion control and exercise. Most days I'm really good about follow through, other days...not so much.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #32

Quote:
I try to remember to take Metamucil every AM
Back in the 90s, I did some consulting w*rk for P&G, and spent a couple of days in the Metamucil plant. I can at least confirm that it's safe to take.

Quote:
Weight Watchers
DW has had great success with Weight Watchers, but you need your own internal motivation to make it work well.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah...another friend the other day suggested Weight Watchers, too. Something to think about. I do know they make you eat sensibly...which means no treats.
You can still have treats, just count the points. All the time I did weight watchers I continued to have my wine and chocolate in an evening, but was careful to have a sensible size portion of each, which added up to 3 WW points (~150 calories). Instead of ice cream I used to make a shake using low fat frozen yogurt, frozen fruit and skimmed milk.

Over time as I lost weight I found my appetite reducing and I now eat a lot less, calorie wise, than I ever used to.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #34

Well, if you still like to eat and you're in good physical condition, I saw this on either Nightline or ABC News last month or so. It's on the extreme side, developed by a NASA scientist, Ray Cronise. It's called the "cold diet" or "ice bath diet". They showed a guy doing 15 min ice baths and said he did this 3 or more times per week. Also took 15 min walks in freezing weather wearing just a t shirt, shorts, a knit cap, gloves, shoes and socks. Apparently, he studied Michael Phelps and his 20,000 calorie daily intake when training and the conclusion was the body spent more energy fighting the cold water more than just the exercise. Again, don't try this if you have any phyical issues or heart condition! Here's the link to the article, there's no video even though one shows up, it's for something else.

Weight Loss: NASA Scientist Ray Cronise Chills His Body to Burn Calories - ABC News
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Well, if you still like to eat and you're in good physical condition, I saw this on either Nightline or ABC News last month or so. It's on the extreme side, developed by a NASA scientist, Ray Cronise. It's called the "cold diet" or "ice bath diet". They showed a guy doing 15 min ice baths and said he did this 3 or more times per week. Also took 15 min walks in freezing weather wearing just a t shirt, shorts, a knit cap, gloves, shoes and socks. Apparently, he studied Michael Phelps and his 20,000 calorie daily intake when training and the conclusion was the body spent more energy fighting the cold water more than just the exercise. Again, don't try this if you have any phyical issues or heart condition! Here's the link to the article, there's no video even though one shows up, it's for something else.

Weight Loss: NASA Scientist Ray Cronise Chills His Body to Burn Calories - ABC News
The summer of '75 in England was very hot (for England) and we were living in an attic bedsit (we were students). One day, to try and cool down, I ran a bath of cold water and climbed in. It scared the life out of me as my heart raced and pounded in my throat. I was aged 20 and very fit, a soccer player at college. I didn't do it again - for some reason it was far more impactive than a cold shower, which I reverted back to after that experience.

So, I strongly endorse the health warning above.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #36

Even the guy that was doing the ice bath had to "warm" up to the full ice bath. He would go in for 5 minutes sitting, then would do the last 10 min up to his neck. I would think the 15 min walks wearing t shirts and shorts would be plenty to shock people.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Even the guy that was doing the ice bath had to "warm" up to the full ice bath. He would go in for 5 minutes sitting, then would do the last 10 min up to his neck. I would think the 15 min walks wearing t shirts and shorts would be plenty to shock people.
I think I could do the 15 min walk, and I can certainly see how that can increase the calorie burn quite dramatically.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I always hit the pool with the weights when it gets into the 74's here (outdoor pool in Az.). I sure missed it over the winter here....but more than that I miss a 10 foot pool like I had in Illinois. Here you get all those 4-1/2 feet pools...aaaaach!
The Y probably has large pools . I go to a woman's gym . Great place to make friends and they have a very large pool .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
When I was working I used to get so in the zone that I would forget to eat. By 2-3 in the afternoon, I would get really grumpy (as in pitty the poor person who walked into my office). I found that keeping a supply of slim fast and V8 in my desk drawer were just the ticket...quick to drink and I was good to go for the rest of the day. Never used either to lose weight, just for convenience.
Yeah, I was in the same situation. Except I used V8 and Smirnoffs. Improved my mood immensely.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I tried SlimFast once. It didn't work.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote