Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
In my local area - several clinics are associated with the VA hospital. Pretty sure I could go to any of them, but I couldn't go to the local one when in Florida w/o applying (affiliated with another VA hospital system). This is really odd (and not cost effective), as a lot of Veterans utilize the VA clinics, and it's virtually impossible to access your medical records at any of them while traveling/at your second residence if you get ill. Go to any VA Hospital, and they'll take care of you. Isn't that what we fault the uninsured for doing...
Each VA hospital's funding depends on the veterans in its area who register with it. That's why it's worth registering at the VA in your area, wherever you're planning to live.

Someday everyone's records will be online, until then there's this: My HealtheVet - The Gateway to Veteran Health and Wellness

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buckeye, Thank you for disclosing your final solution to the emergency care problem.
In the same situation I suppose we would pay the money for backup coverage.The idea of having a large unexpected medical bill is not very appealing...I guess the $2000 a year buys a lot of peace of mind.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Buckeye, Thank you for disclosing your final solution to the emergency care problem.
In the same situation I suppose we would pay the money for backup coverage.The idea of having a large unexpected medical bill is not very appealing...I guess the $2000 a year buys a lot of peace of mind.
$339 per month for Humana100 policy with $11,900 deductible and then 100% coverage. Coverage for me (52) and DH (62).
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the details...I guessed around 2000 per person for a year of basic emergency coverage. I do not have Va coverage, so I would need a more comprehensive package.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #45

VA hospital care can be variable. When my father was dying, he was so upset with his local VA hospital that he asked me to come get him and take him to the one near where I lived. He said the difference was like night and day, and he was very happy with that decision for his remaining few months.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
VA hospital care can be variable. When my father was dying, he was so upset with his local VA hospital that he asked me to come get him and take him to the one near where I lived. He said the difference was like night and day, and he was very happy with that decision for his remaining few months.
I have heard good things about Bay Pines.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote