Join Early Retirement Today

Vaccinations on the road?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Vaccinations on the road?

I have been away from home base since the sale of our home in December and won't be back north until late April or into May. When I left there was no H1N1 vaccine available. Now I understand that it is more widely available. Where would one get vaccinated when on the road? I really would like the vaccine. I had pneumonia a couple of months ago and it was really hard on me. I do not need to get the flu.

I will be in California in a couple of weeks, based in Long Beach. FWIW.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have been away from home base since the sale of our home in December and won't be back north until late April or into May. When I left there was no H1N1 vaccine available. Now I understand that it is more widely available. Where would one get vaccinated when on the road? I really would like the vaccine. I had pneumonia a couple of months ago and it was really hard on me. I do not need to get the flu.

Usually you can go into a Walgreen"s or Safeway or Kroger and get it on the spot for $20 or so. I think in SoCal Lucky's is a large chain, but any large pharmacy/grocery chain should work for you.

Ha

Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Just seen RiteAid in CA run an add today offering H1N1 shots.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Martha, try calling the local county health departments, and then the local hospital. Many received too much too late this year and are happy to oblige. I am not sure if you need to be a resident for the former, but not so for hospitals.

Still a good idea to get it done, if a wee bit late .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
.....When I left there was no H1N1 vaccine available. Now I understand that it is more widely available. Where would one get vaccinated when on the road? I really would like the vaccine. I had pneumonia a couple of months ago and it was really hard on me. I do not need to get the flu.

These are Walgreens in Long Beach that give the H1N1 vaccinations:
600 Long Beach Blvd.
3339 E. Anaheim St.
2627 Pacific Ave.
3570 Atlantic Ave.
6310 Pacific Coast Hwy.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Martha, are you on an extended road trip?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here in the Rio Grande Valley I've been seeing signs for the H1N1 vaccine on signs posted at the HEB (major regional grocery chain) checkout counters. So I don't think you'll have any trouble getting the vaccine down here.

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone. Yup Brewer, extended road trip until May. I'm even filing an extension for taxes.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Martha, I just got my H1N1 at the local public health clinic. No residency required, and it was free (also painless, as I got the FluMist). They are only offering it at a twice-a-week clinic, though, and will only have it for another couple of weeks.

Our local Walgreen's has it for $20.

If you can call the local health department where you are now, you might be able to get one tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I did call the local health department and hospital where I am, they already stopped doing clinics and said go see your primary care doctor. (Yeah, 600 miles away). When I am out of this small town I'll start hunting.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Yesterday I did call the local health department and hospital where I am, they already stopped doing clinics and said go see your primary care doctor. (Yeah, 600 miles away). When I am out of this small town I'll start hunting.
Here the counties are having clinics, it's free and you don't have to be a resident.

see: flu.gov to locate H1N1
it showed me ~10 local drugstores and pharmacies