Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think men usually are not fond of big things being shoved up their butts. We are prejudiced against it.

Ha

When I had one done years ago I was conscious, laid on my side talking to the nurse when I heard a noise behind so I turned and looked and saw the Doc wrestilng with something like looked like a set of bagpipes :confused:

I didn't bother looking back again and concentrated on watching the TV monitor instead.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, now we know why they knock you out.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

How about this: Had a sigmoidoscopy - drank the gallon jug of prep and took an enema. Dr. found a polyp so was sent to the gastroenterology clinic across the street for a colonoscopy a week later.

Again drank the gallon jug - took two enemas. Gastroenterologist found 3 polyps and removed two - said the 3rd one was in the wall of the colon - would need major surgery.

First Dr said he recommended another surgeon at another hospital to give a second opinion - that Dr said he'd need to do another colonoscopy a few weeks later. This time drank a small bottle of fluid in 2 doses - much easier than the gallon jug - forget if I had any enemas this time - had another colonoscopy. Dr said he didn't want to do major surgery at this time - wait a year & have another colonoscopy - maybe the polyp would move.

One year later - drank the small bottle of fluid in 2 doses - not too bad - had another colonoscopy. Dr could not remove it all - scheduled for major surgery a few weeks later.

Drank more stuff - pretty sure I had enemas this time - major surgery for resection of colon - in hospital 9 days. Took a few months to recover.

On the very bright side - everything was BENIGN AND I paid not one penny. Medicare and Tricare for life covered everything. NO complaints from me!!

PS Went to the mailbox a few days ago - letter from the first gastroenterologist telling me it's been 3 years since they saw me and it's time to schedule another colonoscopy.
outtarentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #44

Just scheduled my colo today, to be done in a couple weeks, due to last week's tummy issue. Interestingly enough, the doc didn't give me anything to prep, just told me no food after 9pm on the night before, and only water in the morning. Nurse told me to show up bright and early in the morning and plan nothing else that day (my office is across the street, they told me don't plan to go). I'm guessing they are going to clean me out then and there....

On the one hand, I would like to be out while they do this. On the other hand, I like to hear the doctors' and nurses' reactions when they see something...it is often more telling when there is something not right, than what they are willing to tell you.
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #45

Men don't like big things shoved up there, haha? Try pushing a 10 lb. baby....oh well, you get my point.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

There is recent concern about radiation exposure with CT and other advanced medical imaging. As I understand it, virtual colonoscopy has a higher radiation exposure than most any regular CT scan, because of the detail needed. In addition, it cannot detect flat or small polyps.

These might be things to consider. I will continue to have my regular colonoscopy. I really prefer to have my gastroenterologist actually seeing and photographing the abnormalities that are found.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Here in the Philippines the news broke yesterday that former President Cory Aquino has been diagonsed with colon cancer.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Working Where The Sun Don't Shine
(The Colorectal Surgeon's Song)
Bowser and Blue, Canada's Number 1 musical comedy duo
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #49

Thanks Meadbh,

That was great. DW (RN) enjoyed it also. Went through 3rd colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. This time there were no polyps. My father and 2 of his sisters had colon cancer. One refused to have future colonoscopies because it was degrading. She died of a re-occurance. Father and other sister get their regular scoping. Father's surgery was at 65, he is approaching 94.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Men don't like big things shoved up there, haha? Try pushing a 10 lb. baby....oh well, you get my point.
I've seen a few births. Believe me when I say that this is the most awe-inspiring act that I have ever seen.

Old Haha is totally impressed with any woman who has given birth.

Ha
Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think men usually are not fond of big things being shoved up their butts.

Ha