Join Early Retirement Today

Vitamin D
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Vitamin D

Any recommendations on testing for Vitamin D levels to decide whether I should take supplements; before or after I move from Ohio to Florida?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last summer I had a Bone Density Scan and at the follow up visit my Dr. had me get a Vitamin D level blood test. My levels were in the low normal range and they told me to start taking a Vitamin D supplement (OTC $6 for 100 capsules) in addition to my regular multivitamin. I expect they will check my level again at my next appt.

I did the lab work at my Drs office and the insurance allowed amount was $24. I expect if I would have gone to Quest Labs it may have been cheaper.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Any recommendations on testing for Vitamin D levels to decide whether I should take supplements; before or after I move from Ohio to Florida?
You'll likely get more sun in Florida than Ohio...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
+1

It should only take about 10 minutes of sunshine a day for your body to generate enough vitamin D.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And play lots of golf in short. I've heard Vitamin-Ds don't get easily absorbed.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

Vitamin D supplement in Florida?! Good one!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Doc of 20 years told me every adult should take a daily dose of vitamin D.....so I do.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #8

Vitamin D

I picked up a couple of bottles of D. I used to walk at least a half hour at lunch while working from about March till November, but this ridiculous winter has been keeping me indoors too much.

Edit: I am completely unqualified to offer advice on these things. Others here can.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1

It should only take about 10 minutes of sunshine a day for your body to generate enough vitamin D.
I think this is wearing shorts and a tee shirt, no sunscreen? I have only my face below sunglasses exposed for at least 6 months of the year (and that's inside my house ha ha).

More here: Vitamin D: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #10

Vitamin D helps with Calcium absorption - which is important to avoid osteoporosis if you're menopausal.

However, you have to be careful to time it so you can also get enough iron... since iron absorption is blocked by vitamin D.

Or something like that.

I was deficient in Vit D and iron at my last check up - so they had me taking Vit D and Calcium in the morning, and Iron and Vit C in the evening.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A decent dose of Vitamin D is easily obtained with reasonable exposure to the sun when we're young. Unfortunately, our ability to produce it from sunlight diminishes as we age.

Any lab can test your blood's Vitamin D level, but the supplement pills are cheap (and small, so easy to swallow), and there doesn't seem to be any risk from taking too much. 2,000 to 5,000 units a day seems to be the most frequently recommended amount.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
"Ten to 15 minutes of sunshine three times weekly is enough to produce the body's requirement of vitamin D."

Not that hard to do ....
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Edit: I am completely unqualified to offer advice on these things.
Doesn't stop me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
"Ten to 15 minutes of sunshine three times weekly is enough to produce the body's requirement of vitamin D."

Not that hard to do ....
It doesn't always work that way.
I live in San Diego and go walking at lunch time - so I'm getting more than 15 minutes of sunshine a day.
I asked my doctor about this when my bloodwork showed a deficiency.... Apparently in the 10ish years of permenopause and freshly menopausal - some women stop absorbing as well. It eventually corrects, but sunshine isn't enough during this window.

I asked my aunt, my sister, and my step mom... all had to do supplements for a few years after menopause... starting a year or two before, when they were still perimenopausal.

All lived in San Diego or Arizona... plenty of sunshine.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #15

Make sure and take magnesium if you decide to supplement yourself with Vit D.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post

Not that hard to do ....

I won't be outside with enough skin exposed for eight or nine months of the year.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #17

Living in the sunny south doesn't guarantee you'll get enough vitamin D. I live in Arizona and play golf (walking) 3 times a week and jog outside 3 times a week and my Vitamin D level was low during my last blood test. I'm taking supplements now but haven't been re-tested to determine if the levels have gone up. I do put plenty of sunscreen on whenever I'm out in the sun which does seem to impact the absorption of Vitamin D but not using sunscreen really isn't an option.
The initial bill from the lab for just the Vitamin D test was $249, the insurance company paid the lab $28. The insurance company also tried to bill me for the $28 expense saying it wasn't part of the annual physical but after a couple phone calls they agreed to pay for it.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

Lots of studies showing absolutely remarkable results from vitamin D supplements. Of course lots of other studies showing no effects at all and in some cases dangerous increases in mortality and disease linked to vitamin D supplements. Just seeing one report (favorable or unfavorable) isn't enough to know if it's right for you to take vitamin D.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #19

I know of an n=1 study where the 60 year old male checked vitamin d blood levels weekly. The measurements started before purposeful sun exposure in San Diego and he went to daily sunbathing at mid-day. The measurements fluctuated a lot, but did not trend. He ended up supplementing and that did increase the measurement consistently, but the measurements still fluctuated quite a bit. No sure this means anything, since its just one guy.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #20

Before treatment, a low 25D test result should be confirmed by testing 1,25D. This extra test is necessary because 25D is converted to 1,25D in the body, and if done to excess, can result in low 25D but high 1,25D. Some of the symptoms of high 1,25D, such as bone and teeth problems, are the same as low 25D. If that is your situation, D supplementation will not address your symptoms. Disclaimer: ask your doctor.