Vitamin D adventures

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
When I last saw my Dr. in March I asked him about Vitamin D (VD) as I had read an article in the paper about many folks that have low VD and asked if I should be taking a supplement as my Dermatologist suggested that it may be a good idea as I try to stay out of the sun (where we get a lot of Vitamin D) since I tend to get skin cancer.

Doc say he did not know if I needed a supplement or not and ordered up a test to check my VD numbers. The nurse, prior to taking my blood sample, says "Medicare may not approve this test and it costs about $230, just to advise you..." I said "hell no, forget it I was only curious in a general sort of a way." She took blood for a lipid profile and a few other regular tests.

I got a call from the DR. office a week or so later saying that my VD was low and that I should begin taking a suppliment of 1000 IU. I reminded them that I said that they should not do the test because of the cost, why was it run? "The Doc said to do it" was the response.

Just received my Medicare Summary Notice and they refused to pay the $232 for the test. The footnote says "It appears that you did not know that we would not pay for this service, so you are not liable. Do not pay your provider for this service..."

It's a mystery why the Doc ordered the test and will now have to eat the cost, but the test provided information that I needed to increase my VD intake as it was very low.

Yeah, my D's low too. Taking supplements and waiting for Nords to invite me to sunny Hawaii for a visit;)

You can get a Vitamin D test sent to you for $70. Still not cheap but a lot less than $232. Check out the Vitamin D Council online.

I took 20,000 IU per day for 60 days and it boosted my Vitamin D level from 52 to 68 last fall. Didn't take much through the winter and I'm back to 50.

I noticed that it was a little low on my last blood work though nothing was said. I started taking a supplement but have not had it tested again. Will wait for the annual physical so that it is covered.

I have noticed that I seem to be more cheerful. I have read, after starting the supplement, that it can help with depression of which I have not knowingly ever had but it does seem to improve the overall mood much as summer does when I am outside more.

I see no great mystery. Doc decided you should have the test, so he just went ahead and ordered it, anyway.
I had it, covered by Medicare. I think what counts if if he is ruling out, diagnosing or treating a disease condition, as opposed to just keeping you healthy, in which Medicare seems to take no interest.:)

Ha

Yeah, my D's low too. Taking supplements and waiting for Nords to invite me to sunny Hawaii for a visit;)
You wouldn't be very happy with the quality of the "sunny" around here during these last few weeks...

But seriously, if you're vacationing here then let me know if you'd like a surfing lesson. Clif and I might be able to scare up another ER chapter meeting, too.

My doc did the test at my last physical. I got the impression that this is something new that physicians are only recently becoming aware of, or maybe it's just a newer test that's available.

In any case, my result was in the "optimal" range so that should be it for a while. You're never going to win the battle of keeping both your dermatologist and your primary care physician happy. I practically lived at the beach as a kid, I enjoy being in the sunshine, I seldom use sunscreen, and I drive the dermatologist crazy as a result. But he dutifully whacks something off nearly every year. So far, nothing serious.

My gastroenterologist prescribed 2 600mg calcium plus D pills a day for me, to slow colon polyp formation (and, hopefully, reduce chances of colorectal cancer). Furthermore, which you all might not know, the pills should be taken at two different times of the day, since the extra calcium is rapidly eliminated from the system.

My gastroenterologist prescribed 2 600mg calcium plus D pills a day for me, to slow colon polyp formation (and, hopefully, reduce chances of colorectal cancer). Furthermore, which you all might not know, the pills should be taken at two different times of the day, since the extra calcium is rapidly eliminated from the system.

Basically, doesn't the calcium essentially block or diminish the other vitamin from being absorbed?

I never heard that. Vitamin D is supposed to enhance the absorption of calcium.

I meant with respect to taking them at the same time. Maybe it was magnesium or something else I heard shouldn't be taken with other pills.

Back
Top Bottom