Join Early Retirement Today

Vitamin E pills linked with prostate cancer risk
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vitamin E pills linked with prostate cancer risk

Vitamin E pills linked with prostate cancer risk - Yahoo! News

Quote:
There is more evidence that taking vitamin E pills can be risky. A study that followed up on men who took high doses of the vitamin for about five years found they had a slightly increased risk of prostate cancer — even after they quit taking the pills.

Men randomly assigned to take a 400-unit capsule of vitamin E every day for about five years were 17 percent more likely to get prostate cancer than those given dummy pills. That dose, commonly found in over-the-counter supplements, is almost 20 times higher than the recommended adult amount, which is about 23 units daily.
The results mean for every 1,000 men who took vitamin E, there were 11 additional cases of prostate cancer, compared with men taking dummy pills.
The study was actually launched to try to confirm less rigorous research suggesting vitamin E might protect against prostate cancer. Overall, about 160 of every 1,000 U.S. men will develop prostate cancer in their lifetime.
tjscott0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We could broaden this to a larger discussion of the new recommendation to drop the PSA test. A debate on this topic is raging on another forum I follow:

Current "draft" recommendation by the US Preventive Services Task Force for PSA testing is to do away with it for men under 75.

"The common perception that PSA-based early detection of prostate cancer saves lives is simply not supported by the scientific evidence," task force co-vice chair Michael L. LeFevre, MD, MSPH, professor of family and community medicine at the University of Missouri, tells WebMD.

Read the draft recommendations here.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, this should be interesting. I'm lookin' forward to the peer-reviewed assessment of the risks & benefits.

In the meantime I can't believe prostate researchers are wasting their time with vitamin E when there are so many other compelling studies requiring detailed, extensive, large-trial followup:
An Orgasm a Day Keeps the Doctor Away*|*Men’s Journal

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, this should be interesting. I'm lookin' forward to the peer-reviewed assessment of the risks & benefits.

In the meantime I can't believe prostate researchers are wasting their time with vitamin E when there are so many other compelling studies requiring detailed, extensive, large-trial followup:
We need summaries. The gist of it is, if you want the max benefits, aim for 700/year and keep each instance in the 7-13 minute range. I'm aiming a bit lower than 700 since the info says every little bit helps. . I can work with the time frames.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
gone traveling

When I was a teenager, I used to use that line on the girls to loosen them up
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
When I was a teenager, I used to use that line on the girls to loosen them up
Did it work

I don't remember any line that was particularly effective

Of course I got to fend off those doctor visits single handed
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Did it work

I don't remember any line that was particularly effective

Of course I got to fend off those doctor visits single handed
Well, I'm not sure if it was that or my good looks
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

The conclusion of the article
Quote:
Although Roizen’s 700 orgasms per year is unrealistic for most of us, research suggests that two to three orgasms a week will still yield benefits. And yet another study has shown that those having sex three times a week on average appear seven to 12 years younger than their actual ages. Remember that before your next high school reunion.
Does thrice weekly sex cause one to appear 7-12 years younger, or does a youthful appearance enable sex three times per week?

As for the 700 orgasms per year, I have absolutely no comment.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...research suggests that two to three orgasms a week will still yield benefits.
Heh...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote