Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vitamin pills in-take pre and post ER
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vitamin pills in-take pre and post ER

Have there been any changes to your vitamin pills in-take pre and post ER? Well, for me - there have been. I used to take (1) multi-vitamins since I eat out often and may not eat a good diet, (2) sometimes I take B complex for stress relief, (3) Calcium and Vit D3, (4) Vitamin E and (5) Evening Primrose Oil. After ER, I continued with items (3) to (5) and take them 5 days a week as I take them under advice by my gynae eversince I menopaused. I don't take (1) as I cook a lot and eat healthily after ER. I don't take (2) as I have minimal stress after ER.

I wonder whether the calcium and Vit D3 pills I take contributed to a kidney stone. In my medical check up 5 years ago, I noticed I had a small kidney stone and thankfully, it has not grown for the last 5 years.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've increased my in-take of vitamin Bud, does that count?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Started D3 to compensate for staying indoors most of the time. Just stopped my multivitamin and mineral to avoid stomach pains. Maybe too much iron according to the web. I guess old folks don't need that, and too much iron is way worse than too little. I'll try a "mature" version without iron to see if that's OK with my digestive tract. Also need to watch my cholesterol now and added flaxseed oil for that.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
Started D3 to compensate for staying indoors most of the time. Just stopped my multivitamin and mineral to avoid stomach pains. Maybe too much iron according to the web. I guess old folks don't need that, and too much iron is way worse than too little. I'll try a "mature" version without iron to see if that's OK with my digestive tract. Also need to watch my cholesterol now and added flaxseed oil for that.
Too much iron is definitely something you don't need. I've noticed before "over 50" vitamins don't even have iron in them, or at least the ones I have looked at.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

When working I took a good multivitamin every day. I felt I had to, because I caught so many colds and flu-like illnesses. I wanted to do whatever I could to stay in top physical condition and stay healthy.

In retirement, I do not take vitamins at all. I get more sleep. I am not as tired and stressed, and I am not exposed to as many illnesses in retirement as I was while working. So, I no longer feel such a compelling need to take them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

I've stopped taking iron supplements for a long long time. Is flaxseed oil really good for cholesterol level? I have high cholesterol and the evening primrose oil and Vit E seems to help but I need more help. Try to eat oatmeal for breakfast but often it is too filling and I get distracted by other good things to eat for breakfast.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When working I took a good multivitamin every day. I felt I had to, because I caught so many colds and flu-like illnesses. I wanted to do whatever I could to stay in top physical condition and stay healthy.

In retirement, I do not take vitamins at all. I get more sleep. I am not as tired and stressed, and I am not exposed to as many illnesses in retirement as I was while working. So, I no longer feel such a compelling need to take them.
Good for you! Stay healthy!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

That is exactly our situation. DW takes a daily pill for her allergies otherwise we take nothing now that we are retired.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I take multivitamins every day and hope they actually get into my system. I eat virtually no vegetables despite heroic efforts to try to like them. I'm the cook and have tried every approach but nothing makes them attractive.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
gone traveling

I have not changed my OTC drug regimen since retirement.

Still the Fish Oil caps (per recommendation of my heart care doctor), along 81mg aspirin.

Add to that a Centrum (or generic equivalent) vitamin daily dose completes the mixture.

Does it work? I have no idea. However to me it is "cheap insurance" and fulfils a physiological need.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've increased my in-take of vitamin Bud, does that count?

or

?

or maybe

?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

I'm up to 8 vitamins/supplements, but the only change I've made since I retired is going from 30mg of resveratrol to 500mg of it. That's the red wine factor said by some to be healthful. I ran across a research brief that reported a decrease of 6% in cancer cell counts in the colons of colon cancer patients taking 500-1000mg of resveratrol, so I upped my dose.

I don't take any supplements to help with symptoms of health problems, because I don't have any symptoms, for one thing, and for another, none of the supplements has any proven health benefit. I'm just trying to get a little edge on the odds I can delay future problems, on the off chance some of the supplements do turn out to have some good effect.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know whether any of this is correlated with retirement. It has everything to do with lower stress, better sleep, better eating habits, and more exercise. Apparently retirement is the only effective prescription for those results, but hypothetically it could be accomplished through disciplined time management and work-life balance. Of course the only way I was able to handle those was through retirement, too.

I think another improvement to my health has been regaining my choice of to whose viruses I expose myself... especially the ones who dragged their assets into department-head meetings when they should've stayed in bed. Empty nester is another important step, because whenever our daughter comes home on breaks she always brings a few new infections with her.

I've been taking a multivitamin for years, and in retirement I've upped the vitamins C&E. I've added an antihistamine, something I should probably have done 20 years ago.

I think the fish oil and the coenzyme Q10 only exhibit a marked placebo effect. But hey, it's the desired result regardless of the mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I take multivitamins every day and hope they actually get into my system. I eat virtually no vegetables despite heroic efforts to try to like them. I'm the cook and have tried every approach but nothing makes them attractive.
I've made a lot of progress with more protein and less carbs, and I actually enjoy eating broccoli 3-4x/week. But after extensive research I've concluded that tomatoes only taste good on pizza.

The most happy nutritional thing I've learned in the last year is that a frozen meal a day does not seem to have adverse effects on one's body. In other words we've largely stopped cooking. The most labor-intensive meal I prepare these days is a frozen fish filet in the convection microwave for 14 minutes. Everything else is less than five minutes.

BTW we should give thanks for the second-most important nutritional supplement (after vitamin Bud): Vitamin Motrin.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
I eat virtually no vegetables despite heroic efforts to try to like them. I'm the cook and have tried every approach but nothing makes them attractive.
I don't care for cooked vegetables, but I can eat lots of raw vegetables in salads, provided I dress them nicely.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I've stopped taking iron supplements for a long long time. Is flaxseed oil really good for cholesterol level? I have high cholesterol and the evening primrose oil and Vit E seems to help but I need more help. Try to eat oatmeal for breakfast but often it is too filling and I get distracted by other good things to eat for breakfast.
Flaxseed oil (2000 mg) was one of the few things that I added before my HDL spiked nicely and then stopped before my HDL returned to normal. So I'm taking it again. I'll find out in 2012 if it raises my HDL again. I didn't see any LDL effects. I ate Cheerios every morning with no apparent effect over a year or more (LDL may have gone up, but other things are always going on), plus they are iron fortified. I tried fish oil in place of flaxseed, but my LDL went up during that period and HDL stayed normal. YMMV.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'll bet with just the right combination of supplements, I could feel better, be stronger, and be healthier. But the probability of me being able to clearly determining which to take is about zero.

Let's say that I take supplement X and feel better after a month. Is it the supplement X, or the fact that I rode more, or slept more, or went on a trip, or ate more flax, or had less stress? It's not possible to keep all but one variable constant, and whether you "feel better" is so subjective.

Can you rely on the studies you find on the Internet? Often different studies have different results.

Having said that, I'm currently seeing if CoQ10 will lower my blood pressure. That's at least a nice objective variable to measure. So far, no clear effect, but it's supposed to take a few months.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Flaxseed oil (2000 mg) was one of the few things that I added before my HDL spiked nicely and then stopped before my HDL returned to normal. So I'm taking it again. I'll find out in 2012 if it raises my HDL again. I didn't see any LDL effects. I ate Cheerios every morning with no apparent effect over a year or more (LDL may have gone up, but other things are always going on), plus they are iron fortified. I tried fish oil in place of flaxseed, but my LDL went up during that period and HDL stayed normal. YMMV.
I take Niacin pills to help my genetically low HDL count. It went from <25 to the mid 40s. It causes a flush, which is annoying but not enough for me to quit taking it. The slow release non-flush versions don't have the same efect on HDL for some reason. I might try some flaxseed oil for awhile. Maybe I can make it into the 50s.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'll bet with just the right combination of supplements, I could feel better, be stronger, and be healthier. But the probability of me being able to clearly determining which to take is about zero.
Right. Solution: if they're not harmful, take them all.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #19

Quote:
I've gotten to love vegetables in various ways. I guess my favorite, and I fix this myself sometimes, is to cook up a batch of rice and steam some mixed frozen veggies in a separate pan (generally just the corn, green beans and carrots variety). When the rice is ready, I drain the veggies and then mix them in with the rice. Pat of butter, salt and pepper and yummie! DW fixes stir fries a lot.

I noticed all the mention of vitamin E. Because of my heart surgery, I take Plavix and diclofenac sodium for arthritis, both of which are blood thinners so my doctor took me off vitamin E. When I've had other surgeries, they take me off the vitamin E until the surgery is done. Never knew vitamin E is a blood thinner.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I was having trouble swallowing the giant daily multiple so I switched to these, which are smaller but in sweet irony require 2 a day:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one-a-day mini.JPG (79.1 KB, 98 views)