Vitamins

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I think it makes sense to supplement in a moderate way. I take fish oil (strong evidence that it is good for you, and I know I don't eat a lot of fish) and a multivitamin with some "above RDA" amounts of some of the vitamns/minerals that have been shown to be useful (or where a lot of folks don't get the RDA) -- riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, selenium, etc). I know I don't always eat a healthy diet, and this is cheap insurance.

I agree with your premise. If you are physically active you might want to boost your minerals and vitamin intake. The RDA is for the general public.

To me taking a multi and my fish oil is like buying insurance, I might not need it but who wants to chance it.

One-a-Day Men's Health plus a 1000mg Vit C daily. Haven't had a cold or been sick in four years. And I largely attirbute that to the Vit C.

I take aspirin, Omega 3 (fish oil) and calcium daily.
In addition I have two twice-a-day perscriptions, and 3-4 pain pills a day.
I sometimes take multivitamins, but when I don't feel like swallowing so many pills I leave it out.

The problem with the Mayo Clinic advice is that most of us, me included, don't eat the wide variety of foods each week that you would need to eat for optimum health. I take the following every day now, based on a lot of research I've done over the last few years:

- vitamin C (really seems to help with avoiding colds/flu in the winter)
- fish oil (this may be the most important one to take for cardiac health)
- combination prostate supplement (contains saw palmetto, lycopene, green tea extract, pumpkin seed, selenium)
- garlic supplement
- resveratrol (this is the key compound found in red wine that is believed to be protective against heart disease)

I also look at these supplements as insurance. I try to eat foods that contain a lot of these things also, as it's probably better to get them through food, but since that's not always possible, I take the supplements. I've also started buying pomegranate juice lately, and drinking about 8 oz. daily for the antioxidants. It's not cheap, but if it keeps me healthy, it's worth every penny. RAE

Let me start by saying I take a multi vit, it is for insurance.

They are important: There are severe diseases that occur if there is a significant and prolonged absence of certain vitamins. Adequate folic acid can prevent spina bifida in early pregnancy.

Too much of a good thing: Large doses, especially of those that store in the body (not water soluable), can be toxic, causing liver and other damage.

Do they help? There is no evidence that people who each a decent diet suffer ill effects from not taking them and there is no evidence that people to take multivits are any better off.

the regular dosage - no harm no foul, just insurance.

I consider it a combination of insurance and investing for early retirement. What good is retirement if I have bad health?

Also, there is increasingly stronger and stronger evidence that supplementing with some vitamins and minerals (particularly antioxidants) is highly beneficial. Unfortunately, much of this evidence is not widely publicized (but is available in various academic journals and unpublished but accessible studies).

For a while I was taking a multivitamin, Selenium, and Coenzyme Q10. Then I met an Emergency MD (not exactly a low stress job) who I knew to be in his low 40's and appeared in phenomenal health who has been studying alternative/preventative medicine for a while and believes considerably in the preventative effects of supplementation.

So after talking with him a few times, as well as reviewing some of his fact sheets on various supplements, I decided to up my intake, especially to help with my previously high cholesterol (which has dropped 40 points).

I also found out he wasn't in his early 40's... but in his early 60's. I was shocked, to say the least, but I became a believer.

Also, some time back my Dad went into the doctor and told him he had about 5 years left to live. My Dad started taking additional supplements (particularly antioxidants), and then 5 years later the doctor saw him he said, "You are healthier than the last time I saw you."

That was 10 years ago.

i don't have any facts but my feeling is that it's probably true if you eat from a larger spectrum of foods than i do. juicing vegies helps. you can feel it hit almost as your drinking it. still, i take supplements because of my restricted, mostly vegetarian, diet and because i know i don't eat the variety that would benefit me most. like, when was the last time i steamed up a nice batch of kale?

I have a question about multivitamins. I have pretty bad reflux (take Nexium 2X a day). I cut out pretty much everything that could flare it up. I've found that coffee (even decaf) really is a culprit, so I've had to give it up entirely. :'( Alcohol also is a culprit. I have it under fairly good control now, and I'm thinking of reintroducing my multivitamin soon. Has anyone found that vitamins can flare up reflux? (I take them with food - breakfast).

Thanks!

Doctors are certainly becoming more interested in vitamin usage of their
patients, rightfully so. A cardiologist yesterday took by far the most complete
history of my vitamin/supplement usage I've ever experienced - not just *what*
I'm taking, but the daily dosages of each.

Back
Top Bottom