Join Early Retirement Today

vitamins
Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

vitamins

what is the best vitamin to take for energy; I seem to feel run down. It might be the 18 mile long runs along with the other training for a fall marathon. any ideas. vitamins for an older athlete?

hank,

Bob
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There is no convincing evidence that, under anything resembling normal lifestyle, supplemental vitamins provide any benefit as long as a diverse, balanced diet is consumed. Extreme weight loss and training episodes can bring on a state of malnutrition, in which case vitamins are a partial solution but this is truly unusual.

Rarely, things like sprue and other illnesses can cause a deficiency of a specific vitamin (B12 in this case) which can be helped by supplements. Vitamin D3 and calcium in low-sun exposure populations provide another example.

I have no issue with a multivitamin as insurance against a questionable diet. I also believe there are likely micronutrients which are only found in food (not vitamin pills) which may be beneficial but the science surrounding that is murky.

Fatigue based on a vitamin deficiency is rare and would likely only be found in the presence of some other illness. A good diet is best.

Hope that helps.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you I always enjoy reading and respect your input. What you said reminds me of the answer Bill Rodgers (marathon runner of the 60's) gave when ask if he took vitamins, "there is no proof that they ad anything to ones performance but if they do and my competition is taking them I don't want to give them an advantage."

Thank again,

Bob
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are training quite a bit and feeling a bit run down, I would be more concerned about mineral loss through perspiration than I would about needing the extra vitamins.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerr View Post
what is the best vitamin to take for energy; I seem to feel run down. It might be the 18 mile long runs along with the other training for a fall marathon. any ideas. vitamins for an older athlete?

hank,

Bob
You may be over-training. You need the once-weekly long run, but might need more rest/recovery time. Also, those long runs require a fair number of calories for fuel.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I take a multi-vitamin and have considered taking magnesium, but instead upped my spinach intake. All the research I've read leads me to the same conclusions as Rich.

I think you need to review your training schedule and watch for overtraining and calorie burn, like HFWR says.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

A little off topic, I have been reading a LOT about Vitamin D (not for energy, but for a lot of other reasons) and have been taking it every day when I remember to actually get it out of the bottle :

Two studies cite need for more Vitamin D | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/12/2008

Rich and others, any opinion?
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The answer may be in your training schedule, if you PM I might be able to help. I have run 5 marathons and 150 road races in my life, so I know a little about running..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
A little off topic, I have been reading a LOT about Vitamin D (not for energy, but for a lot of other reasons) and have been taking it every day when I remember to actually get it out of the bottle :

See if your doctor agrees that D3 can be good for anyone at risk for osteopenia/osteoporosis (female, on steroids, older, fair complexion, sedentary, smoker and other risks) along with a gram or so of calcium carbonate. Careful if you have kidney stones, though.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Very interesting link, thank you Bestwife.

In the other report, researchers tracked 13,331 American adults ages 20 and older whose Vitamin D levels were recorded as part of a national survey between 1988 and 1994. Their analysis, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, found that people whose Vitamin D levels at the time of the physical fell into the sample's lowest quartile were 26 percent more likely to die from all causes over the following nine years than were those in the highest quartile.

I plan to look this study up and see the raw numbers. I would like to know how many died out of how many subjects in each group, what the implied dose-response was, and a few other things.

But at first glance, these appear to be very strong results. Over 13,000 people, tested and classified prior to the study, and followed for 9 years. And the endpoint- you die or you don't -is unambiguous and the most important issue.

I wonder if they were able to correct for age and racial differences in the various blood level groupings? Overall I would expect that Africans and older people. and sick people of all races would have lower blood levels of Vit D.

Ha
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Vitamin D is also affected by latitude, of course.
Lower levels are more common in Scandinavian countries and the northern US.
I drink 4 oz of fortified milk each day but I also stick my head out the window a lot to be sure I'm getting enough...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Rich, for the input. Besides the cited article it seems I am reading about vitamin D all over the place now.

I'm imagining Sarah sticking her head out the window for about five minutes an hour The neighbors are saying, "There she goes again! She needs a new hobby."

I know as a kid in the 50s I got plenty of D from the sun with bare legs all year and bare arms in the summer (had to wear skirts to school, played outside all day, every day as everyone else did in those days), not to mention a big glass of milk at every meal. I'll stick my head out the window too now!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #13

I take a multivitamin. It turns my pee a funny color. Because of that, I'd say I'm getting my money's worth.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Rich might tell you different, Marquette--what some docs call that is expensive urine!
But I take a multivitamin too, so I'm in the same, er, boat.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I take a multivitamin. It turns my pee a funny color. Because of that, I'd say I'm getting my money's worth.
Thanks for sharing.

Your kidneys are doing a good job of excreting waste products. If you are seeking foul urine, asparagus would be cheaper and better for you.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hey Rich, I've heard that some people don't have that reaction to asparagus.
Maybe we need a poll?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Your kidneys are doing a good job of excreting waste products. If you are seeking foul urine, asparagus would be cheaper and better for you.
It's true...about the urine. I know....TMI.

Love asparagus, though...stir-fried until tender-crisp.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
I'm imagining Sarah sticking her head out the window for about five minutes an hour The neighbors are saying, "There she goes again! She needs a new hobby."
I pictured her sticking her head out of the window of the car. (The flapping tongue should burn off a few calaroies as well.)
Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #19

Hey I knew asparagus pee would come up again!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Hey Rich, I've heard that some people don't have that reaction to asparagus.
Maybe we need a poll?
I've heard that asparagus doesn't just affect your urine but I don't want to chance anything by finding out so I only have it once in a while.

I do the D3 thing also but mainly because I'm a computer nerd and I live in Minnesota.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote