Vitamins - Worth the Cost?

Even if you eat only "healthy" foods (and what are those healthy foods, anyway? Just read the various dietary threads on this forum to get totally confused on that score!) unless you are also very active, you may not be able to consume enough nutrients without gaining weight. A petite elderly woman might need only 1,500 calories a day.

Amethyst

Because most people eat the standard American diet, for whatever reason (preference, lack of time or interest in cooking or seeking out proper nutrition). Aren't French fries the #1 veggie most people eat? And how many people cook their own food rather than just eating out or heating up processed food? Even though they insist on big "gourmet/professional" kitchens, they still don't want to cook (or eat well)...

... Ideally, I think it's best to get vitamins and minerals from food, but that's not realistic for lots of people. ...

Why not?

-ERD50

Because most people eat the standard American diet, for whatever reason (preference, lack of time or interest in cooking or seeking out proper nutrition). Aren't French fries the #1 veggie most people eat? And how many people cook their own food rather than just eating out or heating up processed food? Even though they insist on big "gourmet/professional" kitchens, they still don't want to cook (or eat well)...

A couple things - first, you changed the goal posts from your original statement. I questioned your statement that getting vitamins from their food is 'not realistic for lots of people'. What is realistic to achieve is different than what 'most people are doing'.

That's like saying it isn't realistic to LBYM since many do not.

Second, I really don't know just how deficient in vitamins and minerals a typical diet is, or what it would take to augment it. As others have said, just what is a 'healthy' diet? And does adding vitamins and minerals in pill form really help, or does the benefit come from the food that contains those vitamins/minerals?

-ERD50

Without a strong preference for mashed yeast and alfalfa sprouts (Annie Hall), vegans and some vegetarians on an unsupplemented diet are at risk for B-12 deficiency. Also vitamin D if they live in a northern climate and/or are sun shy.
The typical american diet is fotified with vitamins.

ERD, you're right---I shouldn't have said it's not realistic---it's a very realistic goal and worthwhile endeavor to get good nutrition. What I should have said is that most people don't seem to be setting optimal nutrition as a goal and/or striving to achieve it....

I used to take large amounts of vitamins and other supplements. After a lot of reading, have stopped as they ran out. Think I will keep up with the daily senior multiple.

ERD, you're right---I shouldn't have said it's not realistic---it's a very realistic goal and worthwhile endeavor to get good nutrition. What I should have said is that most people don't seem to be setting optimal nutrition as a goal and/or striving to achieve it....

OK, I'd go along with that, with the caveat that I don't think we have a good handle on what 'good nutrition' is.

-ERD50

No. Vitamins are not worth it. Get your vitamins from FOOD and from the SUN (if you can).

Regarding "optimal nutrition" I say go 80/20. Eat right 80% of the time and eat "wrong" 20% of the time.

"Optimal nutrition" tastes yucky.

Last edited:
Wow, you knew W.C. Fields?

Did not know it was his line.

Eh, so he used it without giving credit. Shocking I tell ya.

By the way my favorite W.C. Fields line: Step aside boy, you draw flies!

Bee pollen.

I eat bee pollen. It has every nutrient, mineral phytonutrient, fatty acids etc in it. Research it's composition. It has everything the human body needs all in organic form. Also it's cheap as dirt. I buy 5 lbs a time for 50 bucks then Freeze it. If you not allergic to it and want every supplement on your shelf all at once in a natural way I'd say its the best you can do. It makes me feel like superman:dance:

Last edited:
:LOL:

I used to take only a baby aspirin a day and nothing else. Recently, while recovering from surgeries and not having my usual diet, I took a multivitamin pill to make sure I had enough and that was it. Not a vegan, but I normally eat huge amounts of vegetable. My salad plate often looks like what you would feed a family of four. It is not for health reasons as much as I need it as a non-caloric filler to satisfy my voracious appetite and not gain weight (BMI of 23 as I speak).

My mother-in-law is a vegan and my wife gets her some B-12 to make sure she is not deficient. Recently, out of curiosity I looked at the label, and holy mackerel, each pill supplies something like 1000X the recommended daily requirement! I asked my wife if she knew if this was really needed. So, we switched to something that was a mere 100X the requirement.

One of my relatives had vitamin D deficiency that caused her a lot of health problems, until her doctor figured this out. She had been avoiding the sun, and did not spend enough time outdoors. How could one expect vitamin D deficiency in a young person in a place where the sun shines 99% of the time? Obviously, if she had taken a multivitamin pill a day, it would save her from much misery and expenses too.

Last edited:
Also vitamin D if they live in a northern climate and/or are sun shy.
The typical american diet is fotified with vitamins.

I live in Arizona and golf (walking) at least 3 times a week and during my last blood test my vitamin D was low so the Doctor told me to start taking vitamin D supplements. I've read conflicting reports about the effects of sunscreen and Vitamin D absorption but even those of us in the sunny south need to be on the watch.

I live in Arizona and golf (walking) at least 3 times a week and during my last blood test my vitamin D was low so the Doctor told me to start taking vitamin D supplements. I've read conflicting reports about the effects of sunscreen and Vitamin D absorption but even those of us in the sunny south need to be on the watch.

Same with me being in a sunny climate and being outdoors a lot. I have to take a Vitamin D supplement to keep it normal.

Simple question(s).
How much of the vitamin(s) taken as a supplement... pill, injection, food additive etc.... is absorbed by the body?

How is this measured?

Do the blood tests that indicate a deficiency, respond better or faster to vitamin supplements or to foods or activities prescribed to adjust the deficiency?

Studies, other than the subject article?

My mother-in-law is a vegan and my wife gets her some B-12 to make sure she is not deficient. Recently, out of curiosity I looked at the label, and holy mackerel, each pill supplies something like 1000X the recommended daily requirement! I asked my wife if she knew if this was really needed. So, we switched to something that was a mere 100X the requirement.

B-12 is poorly absorbed, so it takes a lot. I took 167x at 1000 mcg, and it was sufficient to raise my levels to reasonable but far from excessive levels. I switched from that to a full B-complex supplement with 200 mcg during my last test period and my measured level was again on the low side. I'm now taking both supplements.

My doctor recommended a sublingual version that was supposed to be absorbed better, but it was more expensive than the high dosage tablets.

I used to take only a baby aspirin a day and nothing else. Recently, while recovering from surgeries and not having my usual diet, I took a multivitamin pill to make sure I had enough and that was it. Not a vegan, but I normally eat huge amounts of vegetable. My salad plate often looks like what you would feed a family of four. It is not for health reasons as much as I need it as a non-caloric filler to satisfy my voracious appetite and not gain weight (BMI of 23 as I speak).

One of my relatives had vitamin D deficiency that caused her a lot of health problems, until her doctor figured this out. She had been avoiding the sun, and did not spend enough time outdoors. How could one expect vitamin D deficiency in a young person in a place where the sun shines 99% of the time? Obviously, if she had taken a multivitamin pill a day, it would save her from much misery and expenses too.

NW, what were the health problems that were caused by the D deficiency?

Thanks

B-12 is poorly absorbed, so it takes a lot. I took 167x at 1000 mcg, and it was sufficient to raise my levels to reasonable but far from excessive levels...
That's interesting, and certainly explains the high-dosage B12 pills on the market. I checked and found that an excess of B12 is not harmful like with some other vitamins.

This brings up a question. Would poor absorption mean more people being deficient without knowing it? To provide the amount as in a daily 1000mcg pill would require eating 2.5lbs of beef!

Last edited:
NW, what were the health problems that were caused by the D deficiency?

Thanks
My relative's description was vague, but she complained of chronic fatigue, and generally felt very lousy and sick like having a flu.

Just a test is all for now,....../?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone back and forth on this, but right now I'm somewhat pro-vitamin. I take a multi, a magnesium supplement, Vit C and Vit D.

One reason I'm pro is that for a while I would get heart palpitations every day. Some reading suggested that a magnesium (Mg) supplement would help. I tried it, and the palpitations stopped after three days. I wondered whether it was just chance, stopped the Mg, and the palpitations came right back. That was pretty strong support that Mg made a difference for me.

An article on this:

Dear Mark: Are Supplements Useless? | Mark's Daily Apple
More reasonable folks naturally see the totality of evidence as supportive of a more nuanced position: some supplements are good for some people, some are bad for some people, some are good for most.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom