Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I live in Arizona and golf (walking) at least 3 times a week and during my last blood test my vitamin D was low so the Doctor told me to start taking vitamin D supplements. I've read conflicting reports about the effects of sunscreen and Vitamin D absorption but even those of us in the sunny south need to be on the watch.
Same with me being in a sunny climate and being outdoors a lot. I have to take a Vitamin D supplement to keep it normal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Simple question(s).
How much of the vitamin(s) taken as a supplement... pill, injection, food additive etc.... is absorbed by the body?

How is this measured?

Do the blood tests that indicate a deficiency, respond better or faster to vitamin supplements or to foods or activities prescribed to adjust the deficiency?

Studies, other than the subject article?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

My mother-in-law is a vegan and my wife gets her some B-12 to make sure she is not deficient. Recently, out of curiosity I looked at the label, and holy mackerel, each pill supplies something like 1000X the recommended daily requirement! I asked my wife if she knew if this was really needed. So, we switched to something that was a mere 100X the requirement.
B-12 is poorly absorbed, so it takes a lot. I took 167x at 1000 mcg, and it was sufficient to raise my levels to reasonable but far from excessive levels. I switched from that to a full B-complex supplement with 200 mcg during my last test period and my measured level was again on the low side. I'm now taking both supplements.

My doctor recommended a sublingual version that was supposed to be absorbed better, but it was more expensive than the high dosage tablets.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I used to take only a baby aspirin a day and nothing else. Recently, while recovering from surgeries and not having my usual diet, I took a multivitamin pill to make sure I had enough and that was it. Not a vegan, but I normally eat huge amounts of vegetable. My salad plate often looks like what you would feed a family of four. It is not for health reasons as much as I need it as a non-caloric filler to satisfy my voracious appetite and not gain weight (BMI of 23 as I speak).

My mother-in-law is a vegan and my wife gets her some B-12 to make sure she is not deficient. Recently, out of curiosity I looked at the label, and holy mackerel, each pill supplies something like 1000X the recommended daily requirement! I asked my wife if she knew if this was really needed. So, we switched to something that was a mere 100X the requirement.

One of my relatives had vitamin D deficiency that caused her a lot of health problems, until her doctor figured this out. She had been avoiding the sun, and did not spend enough time outdoors. How could one expect vitamin D deficiency in a young person in a place where the sun shines 99% of the time? Obviously, if she had taken a multivitamin pill a day, it would save her from much misery and expenses too.

NW, what were the health problems that were caused by the D deficiency?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
B-12 is poorly absorbed, so it takes a lot. I took 167x at 1000 mcg, and it was sufficient to raise my levels to reasonable but far from excessive levels...
That's interesting, and certainly explains the high-dosage B12 pills on the market. I checked and found that an excess of B12 is not harmful like with some other vitamins.

This brings up a question. Would poor absorption mean more people being deficient without knowing it? To provide the amount as in a daily 1000mcg pill would require eating 2.5lbs of beef!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
NW, what were the health problems that were caused by the D deficiency?

Thanks
My relative's description was vague, but she complained of chronic fatigue, and generally felt very lousy and sick like having a flu.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

[IMG][/IMG] Just a test is all for now,....../?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I've gone back and forth on this, but right now I'm somewhat pro-vitamin. I take a multi, a magnesium supplement, Vit C and Vit D.

One reason I'm pro is that for a while I would get heart palpitations every day. Some reading suggested that a magnesium (Mg) supplement would help. I tried it, and the palpitations stopped after three days. I wondered whether it was just chance, stopped the Mg, and the palpitations came right back. That was pretty strong support that Mg made a difference for me.

An article on this:

Dear Mark: Are Supplements Useless? | Mark's Daily Apple
More reasonable folks naturally see the totality of evidence as supportive of a more nuanced position: some supplements are good for some people, some are bad for some people, some are good for most.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #49

Newsflash, one of the useless vitamins may be good afterall.
BBC News - Vitamin E 'beneficial' in dementia
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Newsflash, one of the useless vitamins may be good afterall.
BBC News - Vitamin E 'beneficial' in dementia
Yeah, I laughed at that. One day: vitamins useless, Next day: vitamins "cure" Alzheimer's.

It is interesting that in the experiment those taking Vitamin E had slower decline, but those taking Vitamin E plus an Alzheimer's drug did not.