Join Early Retirement Today

Waist to height ratio 'more accurate than BMI'
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Waist to height ratio 'more accurate than BMI'

Waist to height ratio 'more accurate than BMI' - Telegraph

Quote:
Your waist should be no more than half the length of your height, according to experts who claim that having too large a trouser size can dramatically shorten your lifespan.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Especially with a pack of cigarettes in your pocket.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Measuring someone's waist is important because it accounts for levels of central fat which accumulates around the organs
That seems to be the consensus lately: this internal fat in the abdomen is of far more concern than the fat under your skin.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I will definitely buy into this. I was borderline overweight according to BMI as recently as 5 years ago when I still had 6 pack abs (they have went into permanent retirement, also though). I knew that BMI was a farce. With this type of scale I am at 40% percent. That is more like it...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

46% so I like this measure
Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

This still seems to have a correlation/causation issue, like most articles these days. That said, it seems like this is a valid additional measure and that it may also be more forgiving of different body types (especially those who have a lot of muscle).

I wonder where they measured the waist? I'm around 38% if I measure at the narrow point under my ribs and little more if I measure lower where I normally wear pants. BMI is high 17's.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I wonder where they measured the waist?
The usual rule is "at the top of the hipbone" which is generally right at the navel in most people.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

My waist to height ratio is 45% and my BMI floats between 22 and 24.

Ideally, I would like to get these numbers down to where they were during my undergrad years: Waist to height ratio around 40% and BMI around 20.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

This makes sense to me. I've read quite a few studies that talk about weight in the abdomen/back areas being more detrimental than weight in the hips.

As a pear shaped, woman (or some would say - bottom heavy) - I hope this is the case... I've had thick thighs and a big butt since puberty... but a relatively small waist, even after having kids.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The usual rule is "at the top of the hipbone" which is generally right at the navel in most people.
I've always been told to measure where the picture at the top of the article measured, at the thinnest part of my abdomen, for the waist. This seems to come up a lot that people measure different for different purposes.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

For a lot of people in this country, the thinnest part would be just below the armpits.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For a lot of people in this country, the thinnest part would be just below the armpits.

That's true. I'm at about 36% for my smallest part, which is right at my belly button, and a couple inches above the top of the hip bone. I've got a really long torso and short legs though, so I can imagine it's higher than other normal smallest parts :P
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I will definitely buy into this. I was borderline overweight according to BMI as recently as 5 years ago when I still had 6 pack abs (they have went into permanent retirement, also though). I knew that BMI was a farce. With this type of scale I am at 40% percent. That is more like it...
I must be doing something wrong. I'm very tall and very thin(6'6" &175lbs) but my % is 42.3. That seem higher than it should considering i've been told many times that i'm the thinnest adult male they've ever seen. My BMI is approx. 20.5
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

But how is that internal fat measured? If I use waist-to-height (26 to 67.5) I get .385. But I recently had my body-fat electronically measured (23.5%, which I was told was "lean" for my age, although it does not seem terribly lean to me) and the machine also indicated my visceral fat was only 5%. I really do not understand how all these measurements are related...

Amethyst

Quote:
That seems to be the consensus lately: this internal fat in the abdomen is of far more concern than the fat under your skin.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879

I must be doing something wrong. I'm very tall and very thin(6'6" &175lbs) but my % is 42.3. That seem higher than it should considering i've been told many times that i'm the thinnest adult male they've ever seen. My BMI is approx. 20.5
I know these things are odd, at best.. Mine might be even lower as I just went by my jean size and I wear them very loose. My BMI is about a point from "overweight" and I am no where near overweight.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
But how is that internal fat measured? If I use waist-to-height (26 to 67.5) I get .385. But I recently had my body-fat electronically measured (23.5%, which I was told was "lean" for my age, although it does not seem terribly lean to me) and the machine also indicated my visceral fat was only 5%. I really do not understand how all these measurements are related...

Amethyst
You be a lean, mean, female machine.

Ha
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Cool, so I can quit trying to lose weight? All I need to do is start growing again. I'm off to get one of those inversion tables.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I think body fat is a better measure.

10 years ago, I was having 6% body fat, and my w/h ratio was 43.

Today, my body fat is 10+%, my w/h ratio is still 43.

In another 10 years, my body fat will be 20-%, and the ratio will still be the same (guesstimate from my parents).
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'm only mean on occasion, when people deserve it.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You be a lean, mean, female machine.

Ha
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow....gonna need to find some way to get taller