Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wait Times In Canada Or, Is This Our Future?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was a new mom, I worked at a large company and had great benefits with Kaiser Permanente. The ER cost a mere $50 copay. I had never heard of an "urgent care facility". There were several times that I took my kids to the ER (they always happened to get sick with high fevers on Friday night, right?) Anyways, my pediatrician had never told me to call the triage first or even to use an after hours facility. It was only later when I got into the insurance business that I learned more about urgent and after hours care. I think insurance professionals and healthcare professionals really need to do a better job of teaching new moms about the ins and outs of what to do when baby gets a high fever. Now, I usually wait 3 or 4 days for the fever to subside before I do anything, and if it doesn't go away by then, I call the triage nurse to get instructions as to what to do next.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A quick baby primer from the pediatrician would definitely be a plus, although we've read more than our share from various web sites and there are plenty of books on the topic. I'd imagine the average working class parents dont have the info.

First time Gabe woke up with a high fever I was a little wigged out. Of course my wife had just called to say she was leaving on one of her 3-4 time/year ambulance trips with an injured patient and would be out of touch for a few hours.

Fortunately my neighbor, an EMT and dad with two older boys, took a quick look and said "ear infection...give him some tylenol and take him to the pediatrician tomorrow".

Absent the free available medical advice, I can see a lot of parents whisking their kids off to the emergency room with a high fever.

Told my wife when she got home that I'd briefly considered a trip to the ER. She said "Swell, they'd have stuck an IV in him, intubated him, and THEN checked his temp, pulse and BP..." :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #23

Quote:
I was wondering how the 'Free' Veterans Health Care in the U.S. compares to the Health Care in Canada for an Average Citizen?
My mother (military veteran's dependent, 80 yrs old at the time) broke her hip 4-5 years ago, and was in surgery early the next morning. The doctors "out at the base" did a splendid job -- the care from nurses and medics was great -- and she had a problem-free recovery.

She's only one data point -- but one that's very satisfied.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #24

My mother receives a monthly cheque of ~ $1000 from the U.S. RR retirement board. My father had worked for the Wabash/Norfolk Southern RR that ran through St. Thomas. He died in 1982 when he was 65.

Mother Zipper broke her leg at Christmas of 2005 and was hospitalized. After about 6 weeks she was booted to a long term facility and had to pay about C$2700 out of pocket until she was discharged in March of 2006.

It was a long haul but after many letters and phone calls to the very professional RR retirement board in Chicago MZ was reimbursed for the full C$2700.

My point is all the Zippers extended family and friends have been treated quickly with no problem in the Canadian system. And we are very thankful for the U.S. RR retirement board for picking up an uninsured hospital stay in Ontario.

I've mentioned before Mrs. Zipper works for the London Regional Cancer Centre here in London.

To the OP, if you are sick in Canada you will receive timely first-rate care. No questions.

If it is elective, you might have to wait.

Ranked out of 10, healthcare costs rate a 10 for Canadians.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #25
Administrator

If Canadians "fixed" their health care system, a lot more Americans might consider expatriating to Canada. (That may or may not be a desirable outcome.) Here's a typical conversation between me and Frank, on the subject:

Frank: We could retire to another country. Lots of people do.
Me: I don't want to. Well, maybe Canada.
Frank: No way, not with their health care problems and wait times!
Me: OK, the U.S. it is, then!

Not to say that we don't have some huge health care problems in the U.S., especially concerning its expense. I have three more years to work until I qualify for lifetime medical benefits. There is no way for me to ER before then.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
My mother (military veteran's dependent, 80 yrs old at the time) broke her hip 4-5 years ago, and was in surgery early the next morning. The doctors "out at the base" did a splendid job -- the care from nurses and medics was great -- and she had a problem-free recovery.

She's only one data point -- but one that's very satisfied.
Congratulations!!! Anybody who is able to receive such fast care from a military hospital, without being a Congress critter or President is very lucky. I've heard exactly one story (yours) of quick service from the military hospitals in 36 years.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Congratulations!!! Anybody who is able to receive such fast care from a military hospital, without being a Congress critter or President is very lucky. I've heard exactly one story (yours) of quick service from the military hospitals in 36 years.
Well, I had my daughter in the Navy hospital in Balboa Park, in San Diego. They took me in immediately and she was born right away. Guess that was one thing they couldn't delay!

That was back in 1978, and they only charged $16 for it since my (now) ex was in the Navy. What a deal.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

D'OH!! I should have been more specific. Add ".....unless the hospital has to be quick." to the second sentence in my last post.