Wal Mart Health Care

Glad I read the article. Good to know I can go to a 90 supply of my generic cholesterol med in the future. Going to get my doc to write me a prescription for Claritin to take advantage of the good price.

Then on May 7, Wal-Mart expanded that strategy. Customers can buy a 90-day supply of any of 350 generic drugs for $10. In addition, the company expanded its $4 generic program so it now applies to more than 1,000 over-the-counter drugs, about a third of the OTC drugs the company sells, including generic versions of such blockbuster drugs as Zantac and Claritin.

I doubt if our Walmart or CVS pharmacy will be opening up clinics in my small town anytime soon. But those type of clinics might come in handy if I'm traveling and have a simple problem to be treated.

Glad I read the article. Good to know I can go to a 90 supply of my generic cholesterol med in the future. Going to get my doc to write me a prescription for Claritin to take advantage of the good price.

You don't need a prescription from your doc for Claritin. And the generic is available at less than one third the cost of the branded. Just go to Walmart, Sam's or Costco and buy Loratinine for about $10 for a wheel barrow full.

Remember paying about a buck a pill for Claritin just a few years ago? Now it's just a few pennies a pill! I know we need some kind of national health plan, but it is nice to see the old standby of competition and innovation doing some good as well!

Jubak was interviewed on the radio today and talked about this. The $45 doctor visit is a brilliant idea. Factoring in my co-pay from what the HMO pays for an office visit, they would come out far ahead just to pay the whole $45 for me to go to Wally-Clinic for minor stuff.

You don't need a prescription from your doc for Claritin. And the generic is available at less than one third the cost of the branded. Just go to Walmart, Sam's or Costco and buy Loratinine for about $10 for a wheel barrow full.

Yes, I have done this but generic Claritin is on Walmart's $4 generic plan. Might as well go that route.

WAL–MART/SAM'S CLUB $4 Prescription Drug Program
Allergies, Cold & Flu Medications
List Effective September 27, 2007
Applies to up to a 30 day supply at commonly prescribed dosages.

DRUG NAME AND DOSAGE
QUANTITY
BENZONATATE 100MG CAPSULE
CERON DM SYRUP
120 ML
CERON DROPS 1OZ
30 ML*
DEC-CHLORPHEN DROPS
30ML*
DEC-CHLORPHEN DM SYRUP
118ML*
LORATADINE 10MG TABLET

PROMETHAZINE DM SYRUP
120 ML
TRIVENT DPC6215/5SYRUP
120 ML*

Last edited:
There might be a communication problem with the Chinese doctors they import to staff the medical clinics.

It does make me wonder if they will be staffed by those from the bottom of their class at school. . .

It does make me wonder if they will be staffed by those from the bottom of their class at school. . .

Yes, hard to imagine anyone reasonably competent would make it their primary career goal.

If you're lucky, you'll get some bright young graduate who's trying to supplement income as he or she build a practice.

If you're really lucky, you'll get some experienced ESR/FIRE type who's doing it part time to keep an income stream and some intellectual rust prevention.

Otherwise, all bets are off...

You never know. What if WM eliminated all the b*&%t paperwork, crappy records, reimbursment woes, institutional inefficiencies etc it might be an attractive place to be a doctor.

DD

You never know. What if WM eliminated all the b*&%t paperwork, crappy records, reimbursment woes, institutional inefficiencies etc it might be an attractive place to be a doctor.

True, could happen. It's not a good idea to bet against Walmart in any case.

Assuming they self-insure against malpractice, they might be able to offer doctors malpractice insurance for their WM practice, another attractive perk for ESRs or moonlighters at other facilities such as VAs, state facilities, etc.

Back
Top Bottom