Join Early Retirement Today

Walking my way to lower sugar.. and thank god for podcasts.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walking my way to lower sugar.. and thank god for podcasts.

It started with my quarterly visit to the doctor and some bad A1 numbers. I had to do something so I started walking once a day. At first 30 minutes after a while closer to 45, then twice a day and I introduced ‘the hill’ into my loop. It’s been 2 months ...

Results:
1. Hello to jeans that were way too tight.. I am swimming in them.
2. I can look down and see parts of my body lost for years
3. Neighbors greet me “Hey you’ve lost some weight.”
4. I discovered the Moth podcast in which people tell stories.. I find it wonderful. Others I like include Stacking Benjamins, Choose FI, the Dough Roller And Side Hustle and of course This American Life.
5. Best of all I feel great.

My post is for others who could use some encouragement.. Go forth! If this 2 metal knee guy can do it you can too!
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you, Ray!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Good for you !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I get out and work really hard, my blood sugar drops as much as 40 points. Too bad I'm not up to 6 hours of hard labor daily. But I do have to pay close attention to how I feel when working.hard. Nothing worse than to have a sugar low.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Awesome Ray.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #6

Good news, Hope your knees are doing well.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWIW. I went from 8.6 to 5.3 with a keto lifestyle and fiber regiment. Lost 25 lbs in the process. YMMV
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the inspiration.
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #9

That's great news! My DH, when under stress at megacorp, had blood sugar over 400. Company gave mini yearly physicals and they had to re check to make sure that was right. He was DX diabetes and put on metformin. Said his blood was like syrup. That scared him so much he immediately changed his diet and started walking/exercising. After 6 months, off metformin and no longer diabetic and lost 60 lbs. They continue to monitor him because once you're DX diabetic, it sticks with you and is on your medical records.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #10

Lots of people with diabetes 2 in my family including parents and grandparents. So I started to cut sugar years ago without anything diagnosed. Eventually ended up eating keto-like. And feel much better for it.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

+1 Ray.

I started walking when I got close to 200# (I'm 5'8"). When I got below 170, I started jogging and got below 155#. However, I had multiple running injuries, so reverted to walking in 2016. I walk 3-5 miles per day, 5X per week.

I hover between 155 and 160 and my medical "numbers" are all excellent. I also modified my eating habits. Still eat what I like, but monitor portion size fairly well. Full disclosure, I get a lot of calories from my love of wine. If that was absent, I'd weigh perhaps a buck-five.

Back story. In 2013, I was travelling on business in Ireland during the winter. I always brought the exact amount of clothes needed. Anyway, it was my last day, and I grabbed my last sweater as I preened for the day. I put in on, and was mortified by what I saw in the mirror. I looked like the banger in bangers and mashed. I took it off and tried to stretch it. That was useless. Luckily, I had a sportcoat. I donned the sportcoat, and it hid most of the damage.
But that embarrassment got me on the weight loss Do Right Program ASAP!

To any peers on this forum. Weight loss doesn't take a miracle (or that crap Marie Osmond pedals). It does take consistency, but nothing more. Modest food consumption along with modest exercise. Too bad Jared (Subway) turned out to be a pervert. His message wasn't too bad. But I'd not suggest a diet of sub sandwiches (nor perving on kids ).
Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #12

This is impressive. Keep us posted on your progress.

Now that I have more time, I need to make myself get out there more. Thanks for the inspiration!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #13

Very good news! Keep walking, Ray.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Good job. I'm a new gym-rat in retirement but my wife is not and had knee replacement so I'm always trying to get her moving. Yesterday we walked ~6 miles round-trip for dinner at Panera. One step at a time.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #15

Great work. Walking can do it for sure. Congratulations.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Good job. I'm a new gym-rat in retirement but my wife is not and had knee replacement so I'm always trying to get her moving. Yesterday we walked ~6 miles round-trip for dinner at Panera. One step at a time.
Her knee and the rest of her must be in very good shape then.

Ha
Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Peter Attia has an interesting interview on sugar and fructose in particular. It seems fructose may have been necessary to survive through the ice age because it causes us to add fat, but mother nature never anticipated the abundance of it we humans would have access to today.

https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnson/

Quote:
In this episode, Rick Johnson, professor of nephrology at the University of Colorado, explains how his research into the causes of blood pressure resulted in a change of research direction to focus more on how fructose has such profound metabolic effects. Rick begins by talking about the relationship between salt and high blood pressure, then provides a masterclass into uric acid, and then expertly reveals the mechanisms and pathways by which sugar (specifically fructose) can profoundly impact metabolic health. From there, he explains how he applies this information to real life patients as well as touches on some of the most promising ideas around pharmacotherapy that are being developed in response to the epidemics of fatty liver, insulin resistance, diabetes, and obesity. Furthermore, Rick gives his take on artificial sweeteners compared to real sugar, discusses cancer’s affinity for fructose, and much more.
As usual, Dr. Attia's interviews are filled with medical terminology that most of us won't understand very well, if at all. May I suggest that listening from minute 0:52 to 1:05 will give a lay person most of what he/she will get out of it.

Basically, fructose drives all five of the conditions that are involved with Metabolic Syndrome: high triglycerides, large waist, low HDL level, increased blood pressure, increased blood sugar.

Three of these five mean Metabolic Syndrome. Fructose drives all five.

From what I understand (I am certainly not an expert) consuming fructose in small amounts over a long period of time is not a big deal. It's our modern foods that flood our bodies with it all day. So if you must have a soft drink, a sip every 10 minutes for three hours is not nearly as bad as drinking it all in 20 minutes.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

In the above podcast the guest remarks that high salt diets tend to cause the body to produce more fructose, which leads to more fat. So high salt diets will cause us to gain weight. Lucky us.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The recent type II diabetes epidemic in China has been interesting. The diabetes rate exceeds that of the US, yet the China obesity rate is far lower. In China plenty of normal weight people are diagnosed with type II diabetes. China traditionally has a high carb diet with plenty of processed carbs including the ubiquitous white rice. Yet they were fine for eons in spite of this. What changed - we’ll they are very, very little sugar. Now influences of the Western diet have greatly increased sugar consumption in China. So it seems fructose is the main culprit.

Interesting about the high salt. In ketosis the kidneys shed a lot of sodium, so you actually need a higher salt intake on a ketogenic diet.