Walmart/Costco Rx vs other retail

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any reason to be concerned about getting Rx from either
Costco or Walmart......in this case, Cipro (probably generic)....
Walmart $4, Costco $5.90 vs Walgreen $25, "Savon" $30.

We always use the Walmart pharmacies. I think they are well known to be very good and significantly less than many other retail pharmacies. I read an article years ago that pointed out the price discrepancy, and every indication that Walmart was filling the prescription as prescribed.

We mainly use them because it's very easy to transfer a subscription when you cross the country, and there are so many of them.

But the prices are excellent. The other retail pharmacies are well known for high mark-ups.

Audrey

Sam's Club has the same low prices and good service as Walmart, but usually way faster service, shorter lines, and better staff than Wally's.

Ha

The only concern is the cost difference. It is probably the same generic brand offered by all 4 pharmacies. Wal-Mart's $4 list is a good marketing scheme, the real key is to price shop the ones that aren't on the $4 list. There is usually as big a difference as the example above between Wal-Mart and Sam's Club/Costco. :greetings10:

I did some heavy comparison shopping for parents using medicare. I compared prices @ Sams, Costco, Target, Osco and Walgreens. I found each has a targeted list of commonly used $4 generics, each company has a different list, so it helps to check each. When you get into specific drugs that aren't as common or don't have generics, I found Costco to have a better price. This is just my experience. I've researched only high blood pressure and anxiety rx for my mom (Costco rx cost $145 for 3 months vs. Walgreens $450 for 3 months ) and glaucoma/cataracts rx for my father in law. Also, a lot of people don't know that you can shop at Costco and Sam's club pharmacies without being a member. All you need to do is mention that you're using only the pharmacy at the door and they have to let you in.

CVS charged me my deductible of $15 on each prescription . When I questioned the retail price it turned out one was a $4.50 and the other was on the list of discount antibiotics that they charged $10 for and Giant(a grocery store) had on their free list.
Besides which I always had to make two trips-something that was pretty miserable when I was sickly.

I priced out the retail price on my spendy drug at Walmart-which had the highest retail by $30 on a $450 fill. ( my out of pocket is the same everywhere,and so probably is the insurance company actual reimbursement)Also with Walmart you have to fight the parking lot and the lines to be waited on by a surly employee that hates their job.

I get my stuff from Wegmans now,fast intelligent service,able to call it for refills to be ready,and I was going there anyway.

Good to know about Costco Pharmacy. I can't bring myself to join again.

Also, a lot of people don't know that you can shop at Costco and Sam's club pharmacies without being a member. All you need to do is mention that you're using only the pharmacy at the door and they have to let you in.
Thanks for that reminder. I think I had been told that once, but had forgotten.

Audrey

Sam's Club has the same low prices and good service as Walmart, but usually way faster service, shorter lines, and better staff than Wally's.

Ha

That is good to know. I use Wally, but do hate the long lines. I would switch to Sam's, but it is across town whereas Walmart is 5 minutes from my house. Always some trade off's.:-\

Thank all for the replies. Having read about all the recalls on various Chinese products....toys/drywall/etc. I was just a bit nervous about this but hopefully Rx are regulated a lot better. Good info on the Costco pharmacy(no membership needed). Will search for a Sam's club too.

CVS charged me my deductible of $15 on each prescription . When I questioned the retail price it turned out one was a $4.50 and the other was on the list of discount antibiotics that they charged $10 for and Giant(a grocery store) had on their free list.
Besides which I always had to make two trips-something that was pretty miserable when I was sickly.
This is unfortunate. If they were customer-focused, they would have filled the Rx and not submitted the claims to your insurance company, as your cost was better buying direct from them --without insurance. Good info for future, to ask them the price with/without insurance.

The pharmacy I go to (a Kroger company) does this automatically. If it's cheaper to go direct on a generic (esp. their $4 list) they will do that instead.

-- Rita

Back
Top Bottom