Join Early Retirement Today

wanna live to 100? Don't retire!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

wanna live to 100? Don't retire!

Just saw this on msn.com....10 healthy habits that may help you live to 100.

And what was the first thing they listed? Never retire

10 Healthy Habits That May Help You Live to 100 - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Health Topics

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

As Winston Churchill once supposedly remarked -- maybe so, but it will feel like 200...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Be less neurotic...

I'll get back to ya on that one.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

wanna live to 100?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some people who never retire only feel like they are 100.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks. After reading the first couple of sentences in that article, I went and brushed me teeth. After I came back and read a bit further, I went back and flossed my teeth for the second time. This after a 13 hour day, 1.5 hours of driving, and being still up at 12:57 AM on a weekday? Yes, it does feel like I'm going to live to 200.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

If my mind and body are still there, do I want to live to be 100? Heck yes! I swim with some 92 year olds now who are "all there" and having a ball. Why not go for it?
One 92 year old old Italian geezer--who dives, swims and walks like he's 50--flirts with me on a regular basis. He goes to dances, and is amazed that the old ladies fight over dancing with him. He says this didn't even happen to him in Jr. High or High School (he says with amazement). Course, most old ladies are now widows with nobody to dance with, but I never bring that up to him. He's enjoying the attention. He even walked thru Italy last year with his daughter and her family!
**I did ask him if he always exercised, and his answer was no. He had been an engineer for the government, sat on his fanny, and didn't start exercising until he retired at 62--so, I assume this means, it is NEVER to late to start.**
Good article. Got lots out of it, so thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Administrator

When she was 97, my mother told me that she was at peace with the universe and ready to die when her time came, so not to be sad. But then she also told me that every day was a gift for her, and that she really enjoyed being alive at 97 so I shouldn't believe those younger than her who said it would be no fun.

Everyday life does not have to be miserable when you are old. Technology is a big help these days. She couldn't see well, but could still read using a projection magnification system and could still watch the 60" TV that her care facility had. She looked forward to seeing her friends there at meals, and going to the various concerts and activities that were available at her care facility. She went to exercise classes until about a year before she died (they used little 1-2 pound dumbbells and did everything seated, so that the wheelchair bound residents could participate - - I tried it when visiting her, and it was fun!). She played bridge, and they used HUGE cards so that she (and other sight impaired participants) could see the cards. Now and then she would go out to the Japanese garden there, to sit and enjoy the fresh air and watch the koi.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #9

Last week's news included stories of Manhattan prosecutor Robert Morgentau retiring....at age 90. He sounds like quite a guy, but I might pick lunch with his brother first:
Morgenthau will turn 90 in July and noted that he will have worked 25 years beyond normal retirement age.

"Some people are slow to learn. It took me a long time to realize I was getting older," he said at the news conference with his wife at his side, adding that he is in good health.

His wife often repeated questions from reporters because he is hard of hearing. But he was upbeat throughout the news conference as he pondered life as a retiree: "I don't know what I'll do. I got an e-mail from my older brother who said this is a bad time to be looking for a job."
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how much we can remake ourselves. I am a natural worrier. How much can I remake myself to roll with the punches? Certainly I can floss and eat right, but I "yam what I yam."

I did gain weight when I retired, unlike most here who answered a poll on the subject.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I am a natural worrier.
Same here. Can't help the way I'm built, but I guess I can learn some coping skills.

It's all about quality of life for me. I don't want to be healthy as a horse and lose my wits. Same goes for the opposite.

Like my aunt says: "Life, no one gets out alive!"
Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My Mom is 93 and I think the reason she is still so good is because she thinks she still needs to guide her children who are all in their 60's . She'll call me and say " Don't forget to call Aunt L it's her birthday and remember to change your oil regularly "'. So the secret to longevity is responsibility .
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Mom is 93 and I think the reason she is still so good is because she thinks she still needs to guide her children who are all in their 60's . She'll call me and say " Don't forget to call Aunt L it's her birthday and remember to change your oil regularly "'. So the secret to longevity is responsibility .
She is lucky that she has daughter. If she were doing that to sons they would be screening her calls- unless her sons were way different from mine.

Ha