Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Want to stop smoking
Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is kind of hard to write, because it's difficult seeing the words through the tears. The tears do not come from quitting the habit, but from the sincere stories and concern from each and everyone of you.

I'm not at the point where I want to tell my family and friends because if I lapse I would feel more guilt. I feel like I can really open up on this board as I have come to "know" most of you over the past few months. I hate to say it but the driving factor is not my health but the cost of cigs and future costs of health insurance. I can afford both, but I don't want to pay the extra costs. The past month or so when I would light up, I'd think...ok this is costing you money and it's p*ssing you off. It's time to stop.

Over the past couple of years I have made changes in my smoking habits that have decreased my cig intake by about 1/2. For instance, I used to smoke in the house and it smelled bad. So I would only smoke in the kitchen with the window open. It still smelled bad. I've worked my way outside and have stood in the cold shaking like a leaf while smoking. It's nuts.

Deep in my gut I know I'm addicted, but I'm trying to convince myself that this is just a habit to break. Somehow, this thought makes it easier for me to handle.

I did have my cig this a.m. before I left for my volunteer work. While standing there I thought what do I like about this. In an earlier post I said it was the deep breaths and that really is the comfort that I get. So, (here's the part where you may think that I'm nuttier than a fruitcake) I cut a straw in half and sliced a small section of the filter off the cigarette. I put it in the straw. I inhaled on the straw and I thought, wow this might work.

So for the next few days I will be standing on my patio sucking on a straw.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
So, (here's the part where you may think that I'm nuttier than a fruitcake) I cut a straw in half and sliced a small section of the filter off the cigarette. I put it in the straw. I inhaled on the straw and I thought, wow this might work.

So for the next few days I will be standing on my patio sucking on a straw.

Nope, I don't think you're nuts. Do whatever works for you!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nodding in agreement with Calgary_Girl

Do what ever it takes

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I used an illness as a line in the sand. I smoked in the Army but knew it was stupid. Somehow knowing that what one is doing is dangerous to one's health isn't enough to change behavior when one is in the Army during wartime. One day I came down with bronchitis with a high fever and woke up in the infirmary in an oxygen tent coughing up blood. Decided to take it as a sign and quit on the spot. That was about 40 years ago.

It helped to avoid places and situations where I used to smoke. It is easier these days because more places are non-smoking, even bars. When people would start to smoke around me, I would move away or upwind, starting a new habit. I developed an aversion to the smell, which also helped. I associated the smell of cigarette smoke with being sick real bad. Also chewed on toothpicks.

Smoking is horribly addictive for many reasons. I figured out later that smoking a cigarette was something I did more frequently than anything except breathing. The mechanics of lighting up were so damned automatic that I would find myself with a lighted match in my hand with no idea where it came from.

I like the idea of taking a swig of water every once in a while. This sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
So, (here's the part where you may think that I'm nuttier than a fruitcake) I cut a straw in half and sliced a small section of the filter off the cigarette. I put it in the straw. I inhaled on the straw and I thought, wow this might work.
Just now saw this post. It doesn't sound crazy at all. Use what works for you.

Try to develop a negative response to the smell. Move away from it when you smell smoke.

Good luck.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It has been heartbreaking to have known a number of really great people who died of heart attack or cancer directly connected with smoking. The connection is real enough for me. I saw some of them all the way to the end.

If you know anyone who died of cancer of any kind, think of them when you get the urge to light up. Use their memory as motivation. Cancer is a horrible way to go and dead is dead. Scare yourself when you need extra incentive.

Best of luck.

Ed

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not at the point where I want to tell my family and friends because if I lapse I would feel more guilt.
Depending on your family & "friends", that might actually be a support group. Admittedly it depends on the family & friends and it might not work for everyone.

It's like having a workout buddy or telling everyone that you're going to the gym at a certain day/time. Once you've made that commitment to the possibility of public attention, humiliation, or even abuse then you'll follow through to avoid being seen missing a commitment.

About the straw-- you might want to consider a patent or at least a trademark. "Suck it up, America!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
I figured out later that smoking a cigarette was something I did more frequently than anything except breathing. The mechanics of lighting up were so damned automatic that I would find myself with a lighted match in my hand with no idea where it came from.
Apparently this is quite common.

A coworker mentioned that one time (10 years after quitting and having no cravings) he was driving the RV at night and he noticed his right hand was reaching into his left shirt pocket seemingly on its own. When he was smoking, driving the RV at night was one of the 'triggers'.

For my mother, it was when she answered the phone.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Apparently this is quite common.
A coworker mentioned that one time (10 years after quitting and having no cravings) he was driving the RV at night and he noticed his right hand was reaching into his left shirt pocket seemingly on its own. When he was smoking, driving the RV at night was one of the 'triggers'.
For my mother, it was when she answered the phone.
I was so surprised by its effect on me that I wrote that "old habits die hard" thread.

Totally unconscious behavior. The act of quitting requires far more self-monitoring than most of us, including me, are capable of achieving. I guess that accounts for the ubiquity of AA meetings.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #29

if you don't want to stop for your health, how about stopping for the health of those around you. my great aunt was a heavy smoker for most of her life yet died at 94 of old age. she quit smoking when her husband, who never smoked, died of lung cancer in his 60s.

even if you do not smoke in the presence of others, would you rather a young person see you smoking, or see you not smoking? be who you want to see.

as to family & friends, that can be a two-edged sword. on the one hand, as nords suggests, they can be a good support system. but on the other hand, as they already have an image in their head of you smoking, you will need to break not just your habit, but their image.

"i'm too noncommittal to have an addictive personality"~~me

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #30

My Grandma died at 61 from lung cancer. Not sure how many packs a day she puffed, but to put it in simple terms...I never remember seeing her without one in her mouth! She was diagnosed with cancer, and quit smoking at the same time she quit breathing....she wouldn't give them up.

My Dad smoked for about 40 years, until he was rushed to the emergency room from w*rk one day. He was puffing 3 packs a day. He was having trouble breathing and our family doctor told him he had pneumonia, and checked him into the hospital for a couple of days. Doc told him he had a choice, either quit smoking....or die! (the bluntness was needed because Doc knew Dad was REAL stubborn)

Dad ALWAYS bragged that he could stop smoking anytime he wanted to. The response from everyone to that brag was "yeah, right!". Well, since he didn't have keen thoughts about croaking, he made up his mind to quit right then and there. That was 1982....he never lit up again! While he was still w*rking (retired in '87) he carried a pack in his shirt pocket everyday 'just in case'. The day he retired, he tossed them in the drawer in the kitchen, where they stayed until we tossed them out when he died in '99 at 74. (neither smoking nor lung cancer were the cause of his demise)

A close friend of mine (a 2 packer) did the hypnosis thing, and it worked for him. Even though before he went, he said there was no way in h*ll he could be hypnotized, and even if he could be, it wouldn't work!! He was wrong!! It worked!

So, best of luck in your pursuit of kicking the habit!!! Whether 'cold turkey', the patch, hypnosis, or whatever....it'll be one of the best things you ever do for yourself...and for your friends and family!!! Hang in there!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I think the simple answer is: if you want to quit smoking, just keep trying to quit. I quit seven times before it became final. The first six times I went back to smoking, each time, more disappointed in myself. The seventh time was the charm (its been 30 years now). You will eventually reach the point where the urge to smoke disappears. Good luck.

Grumpy
I went through the same thing. Two packs a day for about 14 years. Then two or three years of off and on trying to quit. I think I lasted almost a year smoking more than a pack a day without buying any -- new companies were handing out boat loads of free packs and I bummed a lot. After about 5 false starts it finally worked. In retrospect I could feel the difference -- the commitment just wasn't there the first few times and was when I actually quit. It wasn't really hard to quit but I did miss them, especially with coffee or a beer. For several years had dreams where I lit up and all my efforts were ruined.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #32

Conclusion. It sucks, you waste money and you are basically killing yourself plus harming those around you. I just got to the point and said screw it. I hated smoking and I hated quitting. It was horrible.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #33

This may sound silly, but I quit by lying to myself. Yes that's absolutly true.
The mere thought of not having a cigarette with my coffee after a good meal or dinner out with friends was just unimaginable. The habit was was part of my life style.

Well, I got sick with the flu and had a very sore throat. Now smoking with a bad sore throat is like pouring salt on an open wound. So, I said to myself, since it was rather distatsteful anyway with my sore throat.
"Ill just wait another hour before I light up." When the hour past, I said to myself , "Ill just wait for two more hours." The times got longer and longer. Instead of thinking "forever" or no more, I concentrated on hours. I went to bed that night saying to myself. "I won't have a cigarette until the morning."

And so it went. And I haven't smoked since.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I've read these posts several times over. You guys are incredible.

It's been a rough couple of days because I've been beating myself up over this and dreading the next couple of weeks. I've smoked 3 cigs today and am doing pretty well...DH and cats are still alive.

This decision is overwhelmingly emotional. Thank you so much for listening and sharing. It really means a lot to me.

One hour, one day, one week at a time.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One hour, one day, one week at a time.
Exactly. I've heard a lot of folks say that the thought of quitting "foerever" was just too much. So, they quit for the next hour. Rhen the hour after that. Gradually it got easier.

And, the same rationale seems appropriate if you backslide--okay, you haven't failed "forever." As long as you are not smoking you are winning.

Another reason to do it--to deprive those b**tards at Phillip Morrris or American Tobacco of any more profit from your pocket.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #36

Quote:

It's been a rough couple of days because I've been beating myself up over this and dreading the next couple of weeks. I've smoked 3 cigs today and am doing pretty well...DH and cats are still alive.
You are on your way to victory sounds like. You are going to be looking for sustitutes and developing new cravings. Make sure you have a ton of fruit on hand for relentless snacking. I was big on grapes, bananas, slices of apple and pineapple. Veggie sticks are cool as well. That way you are stuffing yourself with good food while you avoid the evil cigs. Maybe have some nicotine gum on hand for those times you just can't take it. Make the gum what you fall back on when you have a temporary failure. That way you can feel bad for failing (for an instant) but you won't be hurting yourself as a result. (that makes sense when I think it, but I don't know if it does when I type it )
You can do it.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 AM   #37

I smoked a pack a day and during extremely stressful times, like investigating a friends suicide, I would go up to three packs a day. One day I just didn't want to buy a pack of cigarettes after I finished the pack I had. I never had cravings or wanted a cigarette, until I went back into the military. I started smoking again for a short period, at the stupidity of the deployments. The boss would send people who didn't want to go, in place of sending those who were as qualified and wanted to go. That time quiting was the hardest. Whenever I would think of a lifetime of not smoking it was almost overwhelming. I would keep thinking about the 12-step theory of one day at a time. Sometimes that was shortened to one hour at a time, but in the end, I quit and it has held for several years now. After a couple weeks the cravings start to subside then after a few months I only had a craving every once in a while. Now that I'm off them and really don't have cravings too often. When I do get a craving I found that a small dose of second hand smoke cures it for a long time.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

3 cigs, 2 carrots, a gallon of water and 2 straws.

I realized tonight that I'm a menopausal drug addict. Shoot me now.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. You're on a "one pack-a-week" pace--that will be a kick in the crotch to Phillip Morris. Did you chew the straws down to nothing?
This is going to great for your health and your bank account.
During the many times my dad quit, he would comment on how much better food tasted. But, he smoked 2 packs a day--I'd guess folks who smoke less might not have the same diminshed sense of taste.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #40

Quote:
3 cigs, 2 carrots, a gallon of water and 2 straws.
You are on your way to success. Do you realize that 2 of the 4 food groups above are good for you and one is a neutral?
Victory will soon be yours. Ah maybe you could replace the cigs with nicotine gum about now
I have no idea how to deal with that other problem you mention