Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Want to stop smoking
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Congrats. You're on a "one pack-a-week" pace--that will be a kick in the crotch to Phillip Morris. Did you chew the straws down to nothing?
This is going to great for your health and your bank account.
During the many times my dad quit, he would comment on how much better food tasted. But, he smoked 2 packs a day--I'd guess folks who smoke less might not have the same diminshed sense of taste.

Many ex-smokers have mentioned new tasting and smelling experiences, and having vivid dreams.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The straws look pitiful that's for sure. The most I have ever smoked has been 1 pack a day. I have 1 pack left and am going to allow myself no more than 3 cigs a day. After this pack is gone, there will be no more purchases. So if anyone has stock in the co, you might want to sell now!

If I'm still having a hard time, I guess I'll try an aid. I'm trying to quit in my own way. Maybe the way I'm doing it now will work. If it doesn't, I'll know I have another option.

I've never really tried to quit before. I know this is going to work, because quite frankly I'm mad as h*ll and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Maybe this "menopause" thing came in handy after all!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Give your guns to a friend to keep for awhile . .
Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I told my DH last night that I had emptied the rifle and had filed my fingernails to a smooth short look.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
The straws look pitiful that's for sure. The most I have ever smoked has been 1 pack a day. I have 1 pack left and am going to allow myself no more than 3 cigs a day. After this pack is gone, there will be no more purchases. So if anyone has stock in the co, you might want to sell now!

If I'm still having a hard time, I guess I'll try an aid. I'm trying to quit in my own way. Maybe the way I'm doing it now will work. If it doesn't, I'll know I have another option.

I've never really tried to quit before. I know this is going to work, because quite frankly I'm mad as h*ll and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Maybe this "menopause" thing came in handy after all!
I remember being very angry about it. I thought about the money I would save etc. Hey whatever it takes!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

long time smoker (pack-a-day) ... tried many times to quit. i've used gum/patch/meds/hypnosis ... all with virtually no result ... certainly no long term result. BUT, one year ago i was convinced to try Nicotrol Inhaler ... amazing! (nothing ventured, nothing gained.) since starting i've been at 3-5 cigarettes per day ... currently using 3 nicotrol cartridges per day, supplemented with 3 pieces of nicorette (2mg).

i'm obviously still getting some nicotine, though a substantially reduced amount. it seems that the inhaler does much to "satisfy" the hand/mouth aspect of smoking, and the nicorette provides an occasional boost when the urge gets dangerously strong. the 3-5 cigarettes which remain ... well, we'll work on that later. for the moment, i'm counting this as success.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #47

So how was your day bbbamI ?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

J....thanks for asking.

My day went pretty well. I busied myself with working out in the yard. Most of the time the dreaded cig was off my mind, but every once in a while it would start to nag me. I've had my 3 cigs as planned. Later this afternoon I talked to my mom (she and dad live 2 states away). She has smoked all of her life (at least 2 packs a day) and dad used to smoke but he quit several years ago. Anyhoo I told her that I was kicking the habit. She said she was very proud of me....then started talking about how at her age she'll continue to smoke because she really enjoys it. She said that the doc told her that her lungs are fine.

Sigh.

I love my parents more than life itself, but over the years I have learned that their ways aren't always the best. It's kind of sad.

Last night, I really got the "jitters", but today and tonight have been much better.

d....I think if I can't go this alone, I will opt for an inhaler...and yes if I were you (and I kinda am) I would consider this a success also.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love my parents more than life itself, but over the years I have learned that their ways aren't always the best. It's kind of sad.
My parents were wonderful. Both smoked, and both died of it before they were 60. I remember when I was young they told my sister and I very frequently what a dumb, stupid habit it was, and how easy it was to get hooked, and how hard it is to quit. Mom even made me take a big drag on a cigarette when i was 8, knowing I would nearly gag to death. I saw them try to quit, and I saw the disappointment and the tears when they felt broken and beaten by the habit. My sister and I frequently asked them to stop, hoping it would help them get the motivation to finally win. They tried, but they couldn't, or didn't, quit, and it killed them.

But, my sis and I learned something at least--neither of us has ever taken up smoking. And, so far, neither have our kids.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I've never smoked because my parents did, and I always felt it was a gruesome habit. Seeing the insides of smokers' lungs in anatomy classes in med school clinched the deal. I had one classmate who managed to give such a graphic description of same that she managed to convince her dad to quit.

bbbamI, you deserve all our support. We're all rootin' for ya!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

sam...I'm sorry you lost your parent at such a young age. I know that I will never be able to get my mom to quit.

meadbh...The support that I am getting here is beyond words. Simply put...thank you.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #52

Every little step in the process of breaking this habit is a victory WTG!!

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there a way that I can get people to follow my dad and beat his ass everytime he smokes. This way, every time he thinks about smoking he will remember how much getting his ass kicked sucks and won't do it anymore. I'm out of other options. I will pay $2000 per month if anyone is interested. I am in Indiana.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

CM...

I laughed when I first read your post...then I thought, wow he might really be serious!

My experience with smoking is that it is emotional and personal. The smoker has to make the decision on their own. I started smoking when I was 17 and have continued to smoke until the age of 49. 32 years of smoking and in 2 days my last cig will be lit. A lot of water has passed under the bridge in the past 32 years and regardless of what happened, I continued to smoke. Then I decided to stop.

Maybe your dad will too.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:10 AM   #55

Quote:
The smoker has to make the decision on their own.
That is the most important part of it. If an addict doesn't decide to quit then as soon as it gets hard they will go back to their addiction.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Hey bbbamI,

Heading into your first weekend on "reduced rations." Keep your head up and stay busy so thoughts of smoking stay in the background. We're puilling with you!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Sam....

Actually I had my last cig tonight. When I looked in my pack today, I noticed I only had 2 left. I have to admit a bit of panic went through me.

So tonight while DH and I sat on the patio, I saluted my last ciggy with a Shiner (beer). The funny thing was, we had tornado warnings out for the area. It got a bit creepy and all I could think of was Lloyd Bridges in the movie Airplane! You know, when he said, "I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue."

Our house didn't get blown away, the last cig was smoked and that was pretty much it.

This week has been tough...a lot of tears and guts spilled. I think it will get better now.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #58

Look at it this way, you'll smell a lot better in the morning

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I have read that when quitting smoking, it is a good idea to get the car and house cleaned/detailed, as the smell of smoke will be found to be either disgusting or curiously sought.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

bbbamI - I always found these stats pretty amazing and I hope it helps you stay motivated:

Here are some other good things that happen to your body once you stop smoking:

Within 8 hours

carbon monoxide level drops in your body
oxygen level in your blood increases to normal

Within 48 hours

your chances of having a heart attack start to go down
your sense of smell and taste begin to improve

Within 72 hours

your bronchial tubes relax and make breathing easier
your lung capacity increases

Within 2 weeks to 3 months

your blood circulation improves
your lung functioning increases up to 30 percent

Within 6 months

your coughing, stuffy nose, tiredness and shortness of breath improve

Within 1 year

your risk of smoking-related heart attack is cut in half

Within 10 years

your risk of dying from lung cancer is cut in half

Within 15 years

your risk of dying from a heart attack is the same as a person who never smoked

1. Health Canada, Tobacco Control Program. On the Road to Quitting - Guide to Becoming a Non-Smoker 2003