Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Want to stop smoking
Old 04-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good going bbbamI. Hopefully, your public commitment here will help you stay the course. It will get much easier with time but expect some tough periods. If your withdrawal is like mine, the cravings will continue to pop up and surprise you but the duration will quickly get shorter and shorter. When you get slammed with the need don't make the mistake of thinking it will never stop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I'm gonna remember your remarks as a promise. Thanks don.

29 hours smoke free....

Old 04-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! You have proven you can do this for a whole day!
Now just focus on doing it for another day!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I quit smoking for my 32nd birthday November 21, 2006....prior to doing so...I wrote down why I wanted to quit. Whenever I would get cravings, I would pull that piece of paper out and read it.
I have a little bit over 4.5 months and I am so glad that I quit. I still get cravings sometimes and I look at the reasons which helps me put it into perspective.
Replace the cravings with something positive....do some physcial activity like situps, clean up a closet, mop the floors....it does and will get better with time.

Just remember....there is no point in ER'ing only to drop dead from lung cancer.....something to think about!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quit (for about the 3-4th time) during first year law school finals, in the middle of a really phlegmy cold. The quitting took, law school didn't. What really worked for me was the strong desire to smoke - I didn't like feeling controlled by something internal, not being "master of my own domain", if I may channel Seinfeld. The stonger the desire, the more I laughed at my weak self and the stronger my resolve not to smoke. The smell is repugnant to me now, but for several years I would have trigger moments (a campfire at dusk in crisp night air or after a few drinks in a bar...) when I would really want to light up.

Been about 27 years now. My gal continues to smoke, out on the porch by her own choice. Travel is done in one hour spurts (she doesn't smoke in the car either). Train travel is out. Wish she didn't smoke, but it's her choice, and she has lots of positive traits and i plenty of negative ones, so it all balances out. She has great genes and no doubt will outlast me.

I'm a major creature of habit - usually have a drink every night, just one, but every night. About 10 years ago I started taking January off. Zero drinks. It's.... amusing. If it bothers me too much I figure it's a real good thing to not be drinking, if it doesn't bother me then it's no strain not to drink for a month. In any case it's kinda fun to do a little check on the will power. My version of playing with myself.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i can't remember the name of the book, but it's a small paperback, yellow in color and written by a former smoker who is a dentist's wife.

it's a 1 month process to quit. she says most people have trouble with cold turkey because it's a physical and psychological addiction. she helps you break the psychological so when you finally quit the physical part is a lot easier.

it's pretty much of waiting to smoke after eating, drinking coffee and alcohol which most people associate with smoking. week 1 you start out with waiting around 10 minutes and by week 4 it's an hour or so. week 5 you quit.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I quit cold turkey maybe 30 years ago. I had been smoking for about 15 years. I had quit for as long as two years in there somewhere. There was no special event that caused me to quit, only that I knew I needed to. Cigarettes still smell good to me, and every once in a while I think I might like one. The one piece of information I can pass on is that once you quit, you can never have another cigarette. Not one. If you have that one, you will be back to full time smoking within a few weeks. Just remember that when you go to light up that first cigarette. I never seen or talked to someone who is an exception to this rule.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, there! I'm late weighing in, but I quit a pack-and-a-half-a-day habit in 1990. The only thing that I've found more difficult is losing weight.

Two things I found that helped. First, I asked my doc for something, and he put me on a patch for high BP that calmed me a bit. It got me through that first 2 weeks, which is when the addiction part is pretty fierce. It took another 6 months or so to really kick the psychological cravings, but - and here's the second thing that helped - I kept reminding myself that, at that point, it wasn't addiction any longer, but emotion, and that if I let myself smoke even one more cig, I was going to have to kick the addiction again. Take it one day at a time, resolve not to smoke today, and every time you get the urge, remind yourself that every day you can knuckle through, it gets a little easier, and that's one more day you won't ever have to go through again if you just don't smoke.

To this day, every once in a while, I will get an urge. I really LIKED to smoke - loved that wee little high you got from the first cig in the morning. But none of it's worth starting up again. I'm really glad I quit, and I never want to go back there.

It's worth the white knuckles. Hang in there.

Now WEIGHT LOSS, that's another thing. You can't quit eating cold turkey, and every time you eat, you risk OVER eating. It's MUCH harder, IMO. I've never managed to do it for keeps. Most people don't.

L
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

3 days and 3 hours since my last cig and no nicotine aids. :P

The only withdrawal symptom that I have had has been the feeling of being on edge. So, I have helped myself to a (1) glass of wine in the afternoon and have kept myself busy. Unfortunately, I have some pain due to arthritis and that causes me to dwell on the way my body feels. So, I'm trying to breathe deeper and lessen the tension. So far it's worked.

In just over 72 hours, my sense of smell has increased, I sleep better and my heart rate has slowed down. Even though I miss smoking and probably always will, I am no longer a slave to it.

I can handle the edginess for a couple of more weeks. If it doesn't get any better, then I will talk to my doc.

I do not intend to continue posting my updates on this thread, because I don't think it's proper for me to do so. There are so many other topics of discussion that are much more important than the ups and downs of my day. That being said, I have learned so much from all of you. I know that I opened up some old wounds and for that I am sorry. Please be aware though, that because of you, bbbamI is on her way to "retiring" a bad habit of 32 years. Thank you.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

After my mother quit smoking, she said she had more vivid dreams.

Good luck and be strong.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Go, bbbamI! It's hard but worth it. Just don't talk yourself into "just one puff." That's how I got started again, every single time. It's easier to pass on that "one puff" than it will be to quit again later.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #72

congrat's -- do keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont understand why people have the adversion to taking the medications.
People also will tend to complain about the price of the medication.
Its still cheaper than smoking
. They have a new medication out for stopping smoking
http://www.chantix.com/content/About_Chantix.jsp?setShowOn=../content/About_Chantix.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/About_Chantix.jsp

Atleast with the other nicotine products your not getting all the carcinogens
Rob
Old 04-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #74

i tried some meds (Zyban), side effects were quite unpleasant, and they were a minor assist at best ... nicotrol, on the other hand, has been remarkably effective.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I quit cigarettes 13 years ago - but in the process of trying to quit I weaned myself off because of the smoking rules at work and the general taboo against smoking in Austin.

Once I finally quit - I just bit the bullet and on business trips did not smoke the cigars with my business associates and although it was hard, never, never, ever buy a pack of cigs - just in case. After I had been quit for about a year a friend asked me if I could tell the difference - actually no I could not. But as time progressed in the next 2-3 years I could tell a definite difference. I did not get winded, and I just felt better in general. I would also recommend you get into a walking or some type of exercise program. It will help you convince yourself to never start again. As many smokers have testified - I wish I had never started but it is never too late to quit.

Peace
Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

My sister started smoking when she was in the Navy because smokers got more breaks(she was 20). She didn't smoke much outside work and quit when she left the Navy.

"Smokin'and cokin'"
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #77

I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know if anyone suggested this. But one tactic that some have found helpful is to take saunas as often as possible when quitting. You will sweat out buckets and a lot of the residue of nicotine as well.

Also, here's another unorthodox solution. If you can, it would be good to go on a cleansing fast. The Master Cleanse will help you detox and it will be easier for you to quit and stay off the cigarettes if you can do it for ten days. Here's a web site. There are lots of people on the forum who could help you do it. http://www.therawfoodsite.com/mastercleanse.htm
Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Well, folks...the good news is I am on day 10 and not one cig has touched my lips, DH and the cats are still alive and I am handling this pretty well.

The bad news is my b.p. is up. I went to my dentist today. One of the routine things they do is check b.p. Mine is usually a little high when I go there because I get a bit nervous. Anyhoo, today it was 170/95.

I'm going to my regular doc in a couple of weeks for a tune up.

Crap. I'm really disappointed.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #79

Could be "white coat syndrome" causing the BP to go up whenever you are near a medical person for a examination. Seems funny but it does happen to some. May want to purchase a reasonable BP instrument from a Drug Store and then read the BP three times a day (morning, noon and night) and record the readings. Could also go to a local fire station as the EMT's will read it for you too.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #80

Quote:
the good news is I am on day 10 ...The bad news is my b.p. is up
good for you! !! the worst is behind you. if all goes according to Hoyle, your b.p. should drop as a result of not smoking (and your cholesterol levels should also modestly improve) -- among the many fringe benefits. keep us posted ... i, for one, am in need of a good example.