Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to believe this but I don't.

My mother was active, bright, volunteered, read, did crafts, walked every day and still developed Alzheimer's prior to turning 70 (onset is a little hard to pin down in someone bright enough to hide it).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post

My mother was active, bright, volunteered, read, did crafts, walked every day and still developed Alzheimer's prior to turning 70 (onset is a little hard to pin down in someone bright enough to hide it).

So sorry about your Mother .

Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So sorry about your Mother .
Thanks, Moemg. Mom died in 2003 so it's been long enough not to be a hurting thing. It was terrible to lose her a bit at a time though. I hope they do come up with something to help ward this off. I'm betting on Folic Acid myself. See The Nun Study - TIME
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link . It was an interesting read . Meadh had brought up the study but I had never read it in depth .By the way my Dad died over twenty years ago and it's still an ache .Losing a parent is never easy .
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

So sorry to hear about your mother and her early onset.

I too have difficulty believing this.

My mother worked until she was almost 83, did crossword puzzles every day, created crossword puzzles, learned to use the Internet at 75 and she developed dementia. She can't remember where she lives or what day it is or who visited her or even that she needs to eat, but she can still do blindingly fast math calculations in her head and play scrabble.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, Moemg. Mom died in 2003 so it's been long enough not to be a hurting thing. It was terrible to lose her a bit at a time though. I hope they do come up with something to help ward this off. I'm betting on Folic Acid myself. See The Nun Study - TIME
Yes... My DH is taking folic acid as the doctor that diagnosed his dad thought that Alzheimer's could be genetic in his case. He told my husband to go to his doctor and discuss this with him. He did, blood work was done and the doctor has him on folic acid.

I guess time will tell if this helps...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Like most things, it is probably a combination of genetics and environment.

I am watching my body/mind deteriorate on Mother's schedule and it scares the crap out of me.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
"it's"

and "your"

Did you do that on purpose?
\
If I did, I have forgotten. Dementia, here I come.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am watching my body/mind deteriorate on Mother's schedule and it scares the crap out of me.
I use three data points to estimate how my mind will deteriorate: Mom at age 93, Sister at 65, and me at 55. The function I get is a pretty straight line, and I think I know what to expect.

However, I think that my exercising hard six days a week will give me an advantage. It's so hard to know for sure, but I feel that I'm better at things like remembering movie star names than I was two years ago. Whenever I think of skipping a day of exercise, I remind myself that I need to do it to keep my mind in shape.

I'm also using my brain so much that it hurts.

If I had to guess, I'd say that exercising hard counts for 90% of dementia off-warding, and using your mind 10%.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I use three data points to estimate how my mind will deteriorate: Mom at age 93, Sister at 65, and me at 55. The function I get is a pretty straight line, and I think I know what to expect.

However, I think that my exercising hard six days a week will give me an advantage. It's so hard to know for sure, but I feel that I'm better at things like remembering movie star names than I was two years ago. Whenever I think of skipping a day of exercise, I remind myself that I need to do it to keep my mind in shape.

I'm also using my brain so much that it hurts.

If I had to guess, I'd say that exercising hard counts for 90% of dementia off-warding, and using your mind 10%.
Probably true, but my genetic inheritance includes crippling arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and ulnar nerve entrapment. As I said: all right on schedule.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Now I know what mom meant by one of her mantras, "Don't get old."
Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
TromboneAl[/LEFT];805473]

Normally I would believe that but My Mother's side of the family have incredibly longevity with no signs of dementia and as for activity except for occasional walks ,poker playing and playing the slots not too active . My Aunt is 102 and totally clear . My uncle died last year at 93 and they were saying it's sad because he's so young .
Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I normally do not pay attention to the ads on the banner at the top of the page.

However, just now noticed that on top of this thread are ads entitled "Alzheimer's Symptoms" and "Dementia Types".

There is also "Alcoholic Dementia". Wait! Shouldn't that be on the currently hot thread about "Best beer for the buck"?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exercising your brain can be done for free very easily. One suggestion is to take online, free courses through major universities.
Here's a central clearing house called Open Culture.
Open Culture
Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There is also "Alcoholic Dementia". Wait! Shouldn't that be on the currently hot thread about "Best beer for the buck"?
Gosh, it's been up there for a long time!

Why... don't you remember?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Now that you've mentioned it, perhaps I even clicked on it a while back. But what was it about?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Khan wrote, I am watching my body/mind deteriorate on Mother's schedule and it scares the crap out of me.

I'm sorry, Khan. For what it is worth, any mental deterioration is as invisible to your readers on the forum, as your physical troubles.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Khan wrote, I am watching my body/mind deteriorate on Mother's schedule and it scares the crap out of me.

I'm sorry, Khan. For what it is worth, any mental deterioration is as invisible to your readers on the forum, as your physical troubles.
That's what's cool about the 'net: I can take 15 minutes to compose a sentence, while opening numerous tabs to check spelling and definitions and history.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Mom who is 93 and still sharp does the crossword daily and reads constantly .
Ditto with my 90 year old Dad and my 94 year old aunt...both read several papers daily and do crossword, jumbo, and other puzzles.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #40

Not sure of the difference between dementia and Altzheimer's, but the latter is a terrible disease, especially early onset. DW's close relative died from it after 15 years of going downhill. Best we can figure it started in her mid 40s, and was a steady decline through the next 10 years. For the last 5 she had to be kept in an Altzheimer's ward, and pretty much lost memory of all but some fleeting childhood things. In the end it affects the brain's ability to handle even simple tasks like walking, focusing the eyes, and even breathing.

We tried everything, approved and alternative drugs and treatments. Whether they extended life I don't know, but we saw a pretty steady decline. As I said, it's a terrible disease, and AFAIK there is no way to ward it off, it's just one of those things. We did learn the power of love and caring, and how important friends and family are in such situations. And, of course, we support the Altzheimer's foundation, hoping one day we can eliminate this scourge.

Loss of short term memory in the elderly may be related to Altzheimers but, having seen the effects of a serious case, it's child's play in comparison.