Washington Health Care Exchange Nightmare

lorikmt

Confused about dryer sheets
Curious to know if anyone else out there has experienced this - Last week I got a wad of revised EOBs (no letter of explanation, just a wad of paper) in the mail from my health insurance company, followed with a flurry of bills from doctors who had already been paid by my insurance company, going back to early summer. After hours on the phone with the providers and my insurance company, it appears that it took 6 months for the Washington Health Exchange to notify Premera that my deductible went from $500 to $2000 on March 1. In the meantime, I was under the impression that my deductible for this year had been met, as my EOBs said so and Premera paid my claims as if it had. Now, I'm suddenly told that my deductible was NOT met and I have to go back and pay all these bills that the insurance had originally covered. So now I'm looking at probably $600-$800 in bills, all at once, right before Christmas, that I thought had been paid by insurance. This doesn't seem right - Premera told me I'm not the only one who has had this happen. What a nightmare!

I hate that. Even if you would have paid without a problem when it happened having it all dumped on you 7 months later sucks.
Did you change your plan or did they change the coverage midstream?

How does a plan on an exchange have a changing deductible in the middle of the plan year?

Cost sharing re-evaluated midyear? That could change a policy from $500 deductible to a $3000 deductible.

Back
Top Bottom