Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I can still roll a joint, no problem...

Yea but can you lift it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Yea but can you lift it?
Like the old Cheech and Chong skit:

"How many joints are in a lid?"

"Two."

"Two?"

"Yeah, I roll big joints..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Like the old Cheech and Chong skit:

"How many joints are in a lid?"

"Two."

"Two?"

"Yeah, I roll big joints..."
Hey Texas friend, come on up to Washington some time .
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weightlifting has been the cure for all my joint problems

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I definitely experience muscle soreness, because I "challenge" myself. But only occasionally do I have joint pain, usually a shoulder or knee, and it often disappears just as mysteriously as it appeared...

Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I always looked at weightlifting as a way to build muscle around your joints to help protect them, not hurt them. If you're having joint issues caused by weightlifting I would look at the technique or maybe too much weight. I've been doing some type of weightlifting for many years, I try to do at 12-15 reps (2-3 sets). Lately I've been focusing more on speed while keeping good form and feel like I get more from it.
+1 I still lift relatively heavy, as in 12-15 reps to failure. But I never do things like a single-rep max lift like in my younger days. After age 50 or so, we are generally lifting weights to maintain strength and muscle mass, not to increase them (although someone who has never lifted and takes up weight training late in life can still increase).

Regarding joint pain: Yes, weight lifting can cause joint pain, but I would argue that it prevents much more joint pain than it causes. And someone with strong muscles is much less likely to be seriously injured from a fall. I know of several examples of a fit and a non-fit person experiencing similar trauma, and the difference in the severity of the resulting injury, the recovery time, and the fullness of the recovery is striking.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #27

I have bad knees and shoulders, but weightlifting seems like it helps. Maybe a little pain while working out, but the joints feel stronger overall

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=jollystomper;1601638]She was reluctant at first (somehow her thought process was "I'll start getting muscles and I'll look funny"), ... QUOTE]

funny?!?!

Elizabeth Shue.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=RonBoyd;1601950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
She was reluctant at first (somehow her thought process was "I'll start getting muscles and I'll look funny"), ... QUOTE]

funny?!?!

Attachment 21831

Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL! Definitely one can take the "lifting" past optimal.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be 53 soon and I have lifted weights since I was 15yo. I have lifted a few days a week all those years. In my early years I lifted heavy doing maxes often, but in my thirties I stopped heavy lifting (max 5 reps) and went to 15 rep lifting. The only joint pain I have experienced is with my shoulders. Last year I stopped doing bench press and now i just do lots of pushups as a replacement and my shoulders feel much better.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Have lifted for 20 years (50 YO) now. Shoulders, wrists, and knees "act up" when I try to increase work load. So I just maintain a modest weight amount and only 3 times a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I cannot do weight lifting because it would further aggravate issues in my fingers and wrists, and some elbow discomfort, from too much keyboarding for 26 years. My doctor has recommended I stick with 1 lb hand barbells with lots of reps (minimum of 30) and try to work up to 3 lbs maximum if it does not cause tendinitis flareups. It's the gripping of the weights that does me in. Sometimes I can do the 3 lb weights, but I pay dearly for it for several days. The 1 lb multiple reps cause no pain at all, so I stick with that.

I do use a two handled resistance band in various configurations (using a dooknob or feet to vary tensile resistance and/or range of motion) for upper body toning and strengthening. I get very good results without causing additional injury. I usually do these exercises while I'm watching baseball with Mr B.

I'm currently working on specific exercises to prevent the chicken-wing arms we ladies are so prone to in middle age.

My joints feel wonderful after a session with the resistance band.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #34
gone traveling

Like a ****

So biking and hiking looks like my kind of exercise.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Have lifted for 20 years (50 YO) now. Shoulders, wrists, and knees "act up" when I try to increase work load. So I just maintain a modest weight amount and only 3 times a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan,
You look like it....looking at your picture. Job well done
Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I know what it's like to get all Obsessive/compulsive about exercise. I actually lost heart function from running excessively high heart rates. Caused a lot of other fallout too. Since I've started exercising less I haven't felt this good in years. It's like I am aging in reverse the past 2 or so years.
Not to hijack OP's thread, but how did you find out that you lost heart function Razztazz? I have been suspecting something similar, but last EKG was normal so doc said not to worry. I've been a runner for about 15 years, and my average heart rate while running keeps climbing while my times get slower. I'm 58, and trying to transition away from running toward more cycling and hiking, but its hard because I love to run! Did you have to stop running altogether or were you able to find a happy medium?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post

I've backed off on weight the past 6 years or so to ease up on my joints as I age, and sometimes wonder if I should go with just body weight for resistance training.
For me (at age 60), bodyweight exercises are the way to go. No injury issues whatsoever, and I can do them wherever I go......no need to have access to weights or a gym. Pull-ups, push-ups and squats cover most of the major muscle groups, and I do a lot of walking (with some sprinting), also. It works for me. Lots of info. online on various other bodyweight exercises you can do, if you look around a bit.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I seem to be in the minority here. I started lifting seriously at a very young age, around 14, football was life in my hometown. Still is for that matter. I continued to lift well into my forties and now my shoulders are absolutely shot, knees aren't much better either.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 53 and have lifted on and off over the years. I was probably my strongest about 4 years ago...could do a single rep bench of 270 at a body weight of 170, and 5 chin-ups with 70 pounds strapped to my waist.

These days I've increased the reps and dropped the weight....I'm no longer interested in a max and don't want to risk injury. I now do 5 sets of 10-12 reps preceded by at least 4 warm-up sets. I find that as long as I warm up sufficiently, it all goes well and there is no joint or muscle pain. I sometimes don't even touch the weights and just do push ups and chin ups instead.

Even though I've eased up on the lifting, I can still knock off 20 consecutive chin-ups...
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I seem to be in the minority here. I started lifting seriously at a very young age, around 14, football was life in my hometown. Still is for that matter. I continued to lift well into my forties and now my shoulders are absolutely shot, knees aren't much better either.
I assume you played football. Maybe that's what wrecked your joints? The damage often doesn't show until our 50s.