Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I seem to be in the minority here. I started lifting seriously at a very young age, around 14, football was life in my hometown. Still is for that matter. I continued to lift well into my forties and now my shoulders are absolutely shot, knees aren't much better either.
I lifted hard from 14-20 then quit for 25 years - started working out again about 6 years ago, muscles came right back. No issues here but I use a trainer 90% of the time - he/she keeps me from hurting myself.

I realize most posters here are too cheap to use a trainer but it's worth it, IMO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
If you've lifted for many years, how are your joints doing as you've gotten older? Do you still lift heavy?
I started lifting heavy when I was about 15 and continued until my early 20's. I was actually on my high school weightlifting team and continued for a few years with a local YMCA team after high school. (Olympic style lifting not Power lifting) I can't remember ever really hurt myself lifting back then but now I wonder if some of my aches and pains come from those days? I still have a set of Olympic style weights that I move around on occasions and for some reason, they seem to be gaining weight (like me) over time.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I (Olympic style lifting not Power lifting) m:

I also recommend Olympic style and occasionally go heavy to failure. Coaching is key and crossfit is a relatively cost effective way to get the coaching and the anaerobic part I had been missing. They teach you recovery techniques and when to back off. I don't own a xfit box but am a satisfied 8 yr member in my 50s.
Ps it is hard to find 32"x34" pants anymore.
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

57, female and have weight trained since I was in college. Have moved from heavy to moderate, no joint pain.
One of the most important things about weight bearing exercises, especially for women, is that it helps maintain bone density.
I had a bone density test about one year ago and I have the bone density of a 25 year old. So hopefully I won't break a hip too soon lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
57, female and have weight trained since I was in college. Have moved from heavy to moderate, no joint pain.
One of the most important things about weight bearing exercises, especially for women, is that it helps maintain bone density.
I had a bone density test about one year ago and I have the bone density of a 25 year old. So hopefully I won't break a hip too soon lol.

agreed, big time

DW does a lot of training for balance too - lifting on stability balls, etc
Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post

Irishgal Impressive time span. In addition to increased bone density, you probably stalled the muscle mass decrease, plus numerous other steady biometrics improvements along the way.
Cheers to green blood.
Quest4Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Immense, and often chubby men grunting and blustering loudly as they attempt to get ridiculous amounts of weights over their heads.

I soooo don't get these people. They don't look good at all. They may be firm but they look overweight with no neck and their arms look so uncomfortable since they cannot rest on their sides. I don't know how they want to do that to themselves on purpose.

tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I've backed off from trying to push maximums after tweaking my shoulder a bit - no doubt bad form that day. But still work to failure, just with lower weight and more repetitions. Working in more body weight exercises, which can be fit in at kind of random times. I attribute being pretty injury free to the weight work in my 50s and earlier.

I find I need to work a lot more on flexibility, and also on baseball skill work. With baseball, tennis, hiking and mountain biking this time of year, it's hard to even fit the gym in - not time so much as physical energy level and allowing enough rest.

It's probably time to sit down and really design an off-season workout routine that fits my priorities.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've run since high school, but reduced it over the past 10 years as I started cycling and found it easier on my joints. Started a BodyPump class about three years ago and do that about 3x week. It is 60 minutes and works all major muscle groups. I'm 57/female and finally have some upper body strength (legs have always been muscular). I watch my form since we move through the reps fairly quickly -there is a cardio element to the class. I enjoy the routines and the group environment.
Also started doing Tabata (high intensity workout). The classes always end with good stretching. I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life since combining these classes with my cycling/running.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum