Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

What has happened, IMO, is that the low fat diet believers worked the food companies and with the governments and pushed one particular agenda. Eating fat makes you fat is their motto. George McGovern spearheaded this in Congress and held hearings on the American diet in the 60s and 70s. Remember the four food groups? The food pyramid? All of that is gub'mint created.
It's worse than that. Read this account by Lois Light of what happened to the food pyramid produced by the experts hired by the Feds.

A Fatally Flawed Food Guide by Luise Light, Ed.D

A few quotes:

Quote:
Where we, the USDA nutritionists, called for a base of 5-9 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables a day, it was replaced with a paltry 2-3 servings

Quote:
Moreover, my nutritionist group had placed baked goods made with white flour — including crackers, sweets and other low-nutrient foods laden with sugars and fats — at the peak of the pyramid, recommending that they be eaten sparingly. To our alarm, in the “revised” Food Guide, they were now made part of the Pyramid’s base. And, in yet one more assault on dietary logic, changes were made to the wording of the dietary guidelines from “eat less” to “avoid too much,” giving a nod to the processed-food industry interests by not limiting highly profitable “fun foods” (junk foods by any other name) that might affect the bottom line of food companies.
You can't make this stuff up.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
LOL! (I think you forgot the parts about pouring mercury in your ear to kill the demons.......and if that didn't work, just cut off the aching ear.
When I was a kid in the 1950s, my parents had a highly-effective brand of ear drops that would stop earache pain almost immediately. Years later I mentioned the name (Tympagesic) to a doctor. "Oh, yes", she said. "That had a cocaine derivative in it."
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Eat Below Your Means:

I could eat that
I want to eat that
Everybody's eating that
But, it will keep me from achieving my goals.
So I won't eat that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
When I was a kid in the 1950s, my parents had a highly-effective brand of ear drops that would stop earache pain almost immediately. Years later I mentioned the name (Tympagesic) to a doctor. "Oh, yes", she said. "That had a cocaine derivative in it."
We had a miracle "black salve" from the 1940s. Have no idea what was in it, but if you were cut, burned, irritated it would fix you.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

I understand eating processed carbohydrates is unhealthy. But it seems to me, it was man's ability to grow and store grains is what made civilization possible.

Also, before processed foods became so ubiquitous, most of the world lived mainly on carbohydrates. And there didn't seem to be an obesity problem then. I can't imagine the whole world eating a high protein (ie eating meat) diet.

Also, it seems to me carbohydrates are easier to process, carbon and water (hydrate). I may be wrong, but if one's kidneys or liver is in its last stages, isn't a low protein diet recommended because it's harder on the body to process protein?
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I understand eating processed carbohydrates is unhealthy. But it seems to me, it was man's ability to grow and store grains is what made civilization possible.

Also, before processed foods became so ubiquitous, most of the world lived mainly on carbohydrates. And there didn't seem to be an obesity problem then. I can't imagine the whole world eating a high protein (ie eating meat) diet.

Humans have only been cultivating and consuming grains for about the last 10,000 years or so. That is less than 1% of our evolutionary history. Before that, we were hunter/gatherers. Sure, we ate carbs, but they were mostly in the form of roots/tubers.......not pastas, chips, crackers, doughnuts, soda. It is true that the cultivation of grains allowed the human population to grow in size, but that doesn't mean we are healthier (individually) for it. The obesity epidemic closely tracks the explosion in availability of highly-refined, processed carbs over the last 40-50 years or so. Eating a slice or two of bread now and then isn't going to kill you. But if more than half of the calories in your diet comes in the form of highly processed carbs, mostly from grains (as is typical for many Americans), you are not eating a healthy diet, and you will probably put on weight.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
It's true that different diet approaches can work for different people. However, I think it's fairly obvious that the rapid rise in consumption of highly-processed foods (sugary snack and dessert foods, soda, chips, crackers, etc) over the last 40-50 years tracks pretty well with the rise in obesity over that same time period. Before all that stuff was widely available, obesity (and all the diseases that come with it, including diabetes) were not near the problems that they are today. So, for virtually everyone, I think, if you can just minimize your consumption of those things, and try to eat mainly "real food" (veggies, meat, fish, eggs, healthy fats), your weight will probably be okay, and your health okay also.
Our daughter is a diabetes nurse would agree with the "real food" approach. Part of the problem is the marketing of products. Headlines on the front of the package (low fat) makes many people feel they are making a healthy choice. And their is lack of understanding of the ingredient label on the back of a package. When people think they are making a good decision (buy the low fat products or similar labeling claim), they end up with a poor choice for better health or weight loss.. One of the craziest choices is diet soda drinks results in higher calorie consumption.

The focusing on veggies, meat, fish, etc is the approach that I believe many 'food coaches' take. But, this also must be combined into lifestyle in terms of time to shop, time to cook, income, understanding a label, and more . In my conversations with my daughter, I have learned the change to better diet is tied to many factors. Not as easy as I originally thought since many life factors impact choice. Having said that, not impossible just many factors that go beyond food consumption/calorie count.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm 5 7 and a half and have osteopenia, so I keep my weight as high as possible without causing joint issues. At 134 lbs I am a lean but not skinny size 4. 37-27-36.5, for the older ones who remember when women's measurements were a common topic of public discussion 😁

It's funny how our weights can be all over the place and still be lean.
I remember those numbers and yours look pretty attractive.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Our daughter is a diabetes nurse who consults would agree with the "real food" approach. Part of the problem is the marketing of products from the headline on the front to the package to many people not really understanding the ingredient label on the back of a package. When people think they are making a good decision (buy the low fat products or similar labeling claim), they end up with no better result . One of the craziest ones is diet soda drinks results in higher calorie consumption.

The focusing on veggies, meat, fish, etc is the approach that I believe most 'food coaches' take. But, this also must be combined into lifestyle in terms of time to shop, time to cook, income, understanding a label, and more . In my conversations with my daughter, I have learned the change to better diet is tied to many factors. Not as easy as I originally thought since many life factors impact choice. Having said that, not impossible just many factors that go beyond food consumption/calorie count.
One of the challenges facing folks is finding basic nutrition information that's not selling something or pushing an agenda. Three years ago we started researching the subject and the amount of plain bs that's available is sad.

Go Google starvation mode, or intermittent fasting and see what big players say about it. Sad.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post

Also, it seems to me carbohydrates are easier to process, carbon and water (hydrate). I may be wrong, but if one's kidneys or liver is in its last stages, isn't a low protein diet recommended because it's harder on the body to process protein?
I think there are two big differences:

1. The amount of processing that goes into modern carbs. If you ever visit a historical village where they demonstrate making stone ground flour, compare that flour to what the modern pulverized flour. It's much finer and digest much more quickly. Or go to a health food store that sells medium - ground flour and compare it to ordinary all-purpose flour. And modern carbs, especially sugar are everywhere. The other day I bought some gourmet polish sausage that I was surprised to find sugar in. Sugar is in our bread, our salad dressing, even in salsa and peanut butter.

2. We eat so much more of the carby grains and much less fruit, veggies and nuts. It's very easy to buy a cheap bag of chips, or sugary cookies than it is to get some fruit, wash it, peel it and eat it.

Low-carb and slow-carb have worked for me. If something else works for others, great. I am just passing on what helped me. None is of us knows for certain what is good for others. Take what you wish and leave the rest.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

There’s also the fact that until a hundred years ago, most lived on the land and it took a great deal of physical activity to subsist. High carb wasn’t a problem back then. Now we have an abundance of cheap low nutrition food and low activity requirements - cars and office jobs and numerous appliances. Big difference.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
One of the challenges facing folks is finding basic nutrition information that's not selling something or pushing an agenda. Three years ago we started researching the subject and the amount of plain bs that's available is sad.
Very true. One expert has a website that sells every imaginable supplement. Also, supposedly improved foods that are better than the ordinary versions sold in the supermarkets - at 3 to 5 times the price. Heck it even sells t-shirts that advertise the products! (Note: I never understood why I should pay for a t-shirt that advertises somebody's product.)

I don't mind if a researcher writes a book or two and makes some money off that. I have no problem paying for a book that gives me knowledge that helps me.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #93

Quote:
Our daughter is a diabetes nurse would agree with the "real food" approach. Part of the problem is the marketing of products. Headlines on the front of the package (low fat) makes many people feel they are making a healthy choice. And their is lack of understanding of the ingredient label on the back of a package. When people think they are making a good decision (buy the low fat products or similar labeling claim), they end up with a poor choice for better health or weight loss.. One of the craziest choices is diet soda drinks results in higher calorie consumption.

The focusing on veggies, meat, fish, etc is the approach that I believe many 'food coaches' take. But, this also must be combined into lifestyle in terms of time to shop, time to cook, income, understanding a label, and more . In my conversations with my daughter, I have learned the change to better diet is tied to many factors. Not as easy as I originally thought since many life factors impact choice. Having said that, not impossible just many factors that go beyond food consumption/calorie count.

I personally won't buy anything in the store labeled "low fat". For one thing, they've usually added sugar (for taste) when they removed the fat. And secondly, fat (the right kind) is not unhealthy. The whole "fat makes you fat" theory that they've been preaching to us for decades now is all wrong.

It is true that it takes more time to prepare whole foods, as opposed to buying and preparing convenience foods. And I understand that some people find it hard to find the time in their day to shop for, and prepare meals using whole foods. I used to buy more convenience foods myself, some years ago. Then I came to the conclusion that nothing is more important than the health of me and my family, so if I wanted to remain healthy, I needed to make the time to eat healthier. Much of what I eat does not cost a lot. Most veggies come from my large garden, and I also shop at farmers markets whenever possible. Eggs come from a small farm not far from here. Meat is admittedly costlier, as I buy it from local farmers also, for the most part, as I think grass-fed meat is healthier. So yes, it does take a little time, and some foods may cost a bit more, but it's easily worth it to me to eat this way.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

You got to watch the no sugar added stuff too. It usually means loaded with sucralose. Upsets DH who is looking for a less sweet version and occasionally gets fooled.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #95

[QUOTE=RAE;2078637

It is true that it takes more time to prepare whole foods, as opposed to buying and preparing convenience foods. And I understand that some people find it hard to find the time in their day to shop for, and prepare meals using whole foods. I used to buy more convenience foods myself, some years ago. Then I came to the conclusion that nothing is more important than the health of me and my family, so if I wanted to remain healthy, I needed to make the time to eat healthier. Much of what I eat does not cost a lot. Most veggies come from my large garden, and I also shop at farmers markets whenever possible. Eggs come from a small farm not far from here. Meat is admittedly costlier, as I buy it from local farmers also, for the most part, as I think grass-fed meat is healthier. So yes, it does take a little time, and some foods may cost a bit more, but it's easily worth it to me to eat this way.[/QUOTE]

Before my in-depth conversations with my daughter, I would have agreed with you. We follow a similar approach as you do for food consumption. But, learning more of the details, (to be clear nothing personal), there are many hurdles for people. I guess for many they could get over it but the changes have so many moving parts. To me, even your description of meeting your food consumption plan takes more than a little time for many people. I know it does for us.

When I think that people can't even save for retirement which seems like one moving part; putting money in the bank. It does not surprise me that meeting healthy eating habits is hard for many in knowledge, planning and time.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #96

Quote:
Before my in-depth conversations with my daughter, I would have agreed with you. We follow a similar approach as you do for food consumption. But, learning more of the details, (to be clear nothing personal), there are many hurdles for people. I guess for many they could get over it but the changes have so many moving parts. To me, even your description of meeting your food consumption plan takes more than a little time for many people. I know it does for us.

When I think that people can't even save for retirement which seems like one moving part; putting money in the bank. It does not surprise me that meeting healthy eating habits is hard for many in knowledge, planning and time.
One of my favorite meals, microwave frozen veggies ( 30 calories, no additives) add to a few scrambled eggs ( very inexpensive ), throw in some cheese. Butter some toast. You've got protein, veggies, carbs and a little fat. I might add some fresh fruit to that.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.

I dare you to stand outside a McDonald's and offer your scrambled eggs and microwaved veggies and watch the hordes stampede your way, suddenly full of enlightenment.

I would posit that people who extol the glories of vegetables in all of their ease and tastiness are not really the people who are in need of dietary guidance.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
One of my favorite meals, microwave frozen veggies ( 30 calories, no additives) add to a few scrambled eggs ( very inexpensive ), throw in some cheese. Butter some toast. You've got protein, veggies, carbs and a little fat. I might add some fresh fruit to that.
So, given the cost and ease of preparing this meal what are you trying to communicate. Are you suggesting lazy, dumb, both? Or, content?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone here doing this Keto Diet ... 5% Carbs, 70% Fat, 25% Protein ....
Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
Anyone here doing this Keto Diet ... 5% Carbs, 70% Fat, 25% Protein ....

I've read about the ketogenic diet, but it's not for me. After a lot of experimenting, I've found that I need about 100g of carbs daily to feel good and maintain my weight (I'm naturally pretty thin). Some ketogenic diets that I've seen recommend no more than 35g of carbs daily, and no consumption at all of things like yams, potatoes, and fruit. And of course no grain consumption at all. If I followed that plan, I know I would lose weight rapidly and not feel well. I don't consume many grains, but I do eat a little rice, and I do eat yams, potatoes, and some fruit.

I think Paul Jaminet is one of the most knowledgeable guys around when it comes to nutrition and diet. He and his wife wrote "The Perfect Health Diet", which is roughly the diet I tend to follow (he also has a website with the same name, where you can find a lot of the same info. that is in the book). It is basically a paleo-type diet, but he allows more carbs than strict paleo, and there is no prohibition on things like legumes and nightshade-family veggies. Paul has written a few articles about the possible negative effects of keto (like muscle and bone loss, for a couple). Here is the link to one of his articles:

Ketogenic Diets 2: Preventing Muscle and Bone Loss on Ketogenic Diets - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet