Join Early Retirement Today

Weight loss
Old 07-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weight loss

So less than two weeks ago I was weighed in the doctors office at 190, the nurse told me 190, I remember vividly. I go in today and it's 180. Mistake? Well, it is possible I lost 10 LBS. I had a health issue and I didn't feel good at all. So I cut out beer, potato chips, and popcorn. I still drink one soda a day.

I began drinking a lot of water. I still do. I sure haven't exercised anymore than I usually do, which is modest. So I asked what a good weight for me would be, the doctor told me in the 170's. So I'm thinking I only have to lose 5 more LBS. Yeah I know, easier said than done.

I fear soon will begin the slippery slope towards all my bad eating and drinking habits. It hasn't happened yet. Usually mid morning I will now eat a small snack, not junk food, but something I will cook in the microwave. That has taken place of the junk food binge I was on.

I am not sure I really have a question. Just felt like putting some of my thoughts down, and if someone has anything to add , I am still in the experimentation stage myself, so feel free to chime in . I know losing weight is hard, and that's why I wanted to get some thoughts of others.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #2

I stopped eating sugar about 18 months ago. Flavored/sweetened coffee creamer is all, period. No desserts-no sugared peanut butter, pancake syrup, etc. Carefully watching packaging for added sugar. Lost 30 lbs over 90 days and now am maintaining. Also gave up diet soda.

Lots of info out there about sugar killing us-obesity, diabetes, etc. I would point to your reduction of beer as a huge factor-the carbs. Congrats.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This app is designed to help track calories, exercise, and nutrition. I find it really easy to use. www.cronometer.com
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:39 AM   #4

Low carb is not only popular these days but really works. It is unhealthy carbs that make people fat. If you stick to meat, eggs, low carb veggies, and lots of healthy fats you can easily stay full throughout the day and within a couple weeks the craving for sugar and unhealthy carbs (chips, sweets, breads, pasta, etc) goes away completely. This way of eating is the only thing I've found that reduces middle-aged belly weight gain.
You might watch the video The Magic Pill on Youtube. Keto is great, but you don't have to do things like count macros in order to go low carb. Simply cutting out all sugars, processed foods, and unhealthy carbs, and eating only whole natural food with plenty of protein and good fats (eg butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fatty meats, avocado) will drop the weight and make you feel like a new person within a couple weeks.
Soda is terrible for you. It makes people gain and retain weight. Beer is full of carbs.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

After retirement I had tachycardia, resting heart rate over 100. My PCP gave me another med but suggested weight loss, wasn't the first time. Someone on this forum told me about myfitnesspal pal and DW and I started using it. Three years later I still enter our food every day.

Together we are down 110 pounds and have kept it off. It's amazing how many ailments we had that disappeared from dropping weight.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

Mayo clinic says plan meals around fruits and vegetables and make protein a side dish. We eat way too much protein as Americans.

I maintain my desired weight with small meals. I used to stuff myself and feel miserable. Now, low salt, low carbs which includes sugar. Fat is essential but the right fat, nuts and seeds, olive oil. I eat dessert and a great burger once in a while but my body feels full quicker and I take 1/2 of it home. BP, I take daily and it's around 110/70 and fluctuates a bit from strong coffee or exercise. Try to take it several times/day at different stress levels.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My doctor tells me to eat more protein. So I won’t be treating it as a side dish.

Americans eat way too many carbs.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Yep, eat less junk, lose weight.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you cut out all those starches and sugars and beer, you very well could have lost 10 lbs in a week. It's very common for people when they start a low-carb way of eating, which is basically what you did. :-)

I started eating low carb (less than 100g net a day, more like 50 most days) seven months ago, and have lost 30 lbs, and am now at a weight that I haven't maintained since college. Still have more to lose, but am losing a nice average of 1 lb a week. I had lost 40 lbs above where I started this time using calorie counting a few years back, but was never able to get any lower until I switched to this WOE.

I pretty much lived on cereal and sandwiches for most of my life. If I can get rid of processed carbs from my diet, anyone can. And, as said above, eating this way leaves you so much more satiated on fewer total calories. I've said before that on a low-fat diet I would have to white-knuckle at anything under 2,000 calories/day. I eat probably around 1,400 calories a day now. I also try to wait 16 hours from the last food at night to the first meal the next day (intermittent fasting, 16:8).

I stray once in a while, but I don't beat myself up for it, and just go right back.

My triglycerides dropped 90 points in 3 months eating this way, into the normal range. Blood pressure went from 135/85 to 118/76. A1C is 4.9 (though I've never had problems with glucose numbers).
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've never had a weight problem per se, but when I wanted to drop 6 pounds b/c my feet hurt, I did it by cutting out all sweets and heavily processed foods. I still ate oatmeal and whole wheat bread [yes I know bread is "processed," don't parse me to death please] just not huge amounts. Lots of fruits and vegetables, reasonable amounts of whole protein, nonfat yogurt w/o sugar added. Not fond of fats in general; don't care for fatty taste or texture.

Sweets taste great going down, but they just don't do a body any good.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #11

The most important thing for me in losing weight and maintaining it is lack of cravings. Carbs and sweets greatly increase cravings for the same. Stop eating them, give your brain/body the protein and fat it needs, and cravings disappear. Until I tried it I didn't have any idea that this actually worked and thought I was doomed to constant cravings.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve always had a difference in my head from things my body wants to eat to things that taste good.
Lots of diet advice. Beer carbs are mostly from the alcohol - hard liquor won’t change that.

We eat a lot of lightly sautιed leafy green vegetables (loaded with garlic) and a dash of salt. Find something healthy you like to eat, use smaller plates or bowls, and eat the healthy stuff first. It’s not hard to get up for seconds if you are still hungry (hungry is not the same as ‘not full’)
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #13

Weighing yourself on a regular interval (most recommend weekly) is good idea, same time same day each week, outside the doctor's office.

That 190 could have been a higher/bloated day, and that 180 could have been a lower day, but yes if you had not previously been watching your diet at all, 10 lbs in a week is not out of the question when you cut out processed/carbs for the first time. Of course, that's far more doable at 30 than 50...

Those last 5 or so will probably take a fair bit longer, as half of that initial 10 was probably water.

There are lower carb beer options, and yes even the best of them have a few carbs from the alchohol, but there are lots of sugars in many, so a Mich Ultra is going to have less than 1 carb, whereas a Bud Light is over 6. A regular beer usually has 10 or more.

(vodka with diet tonic - 0 carbs!)
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #14

I just had my annual physical yesterday and weighed in at 160.2 lbs. I'm 5'10" and my weight has been between 160-172 over the past 25 years which is considered normal range for my height. The doctor was happy and stated that I was probably going to be the only one in a normal weight range that he would see today. The only medication I take is 81 mg of Aspirin daily since the age of 48 per the protocol at my healthcare provider. Some of the healthcare workers had the bodies of a troll. The nurse drawing my blood, was about 5 feet tall and twice my width. How do they let this go on? My doctor stated that they have just given up with patients and now prescribe medication to control cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart conditions. He stated many of these people will need knee, hip, shoulder replacements if they make it to their later years. He stated that with modern medicine, you may only live a few years longer leading a healthy life, but the quality of your life will be much better.

As we look around us we see people getting heavier and heavier. Thirty years ago it would have been rare to see an obese person in Europe, but today sadly we see them all the time. The only parts of the world that we have seen escape this epidemic so far has been Asia.

I don't diet and never have. I never count calories. The key to staying in shape is your lifestyle and food choices. I eat 5-6 times a day and work out at 4-5 times per week (mostly cycling, hiking swimming, free weights) with my wife. The key is portion control. It's better to eat small portions more frequently than a few large meals. We avoid soft drinks, candies, chips, deep fried foods, fruit juices. When dining out, we avoid buffets, IHOPs, Denny's, Brazilian steak houses, and choose fine dining restaurants where the portions are controlled. All you can eat buffets are evil. They will tempt you to go back for more to get your money's worth. Just stay away from them. We find it's better to pay more for fine dining than pay later for weight control. Believe it or not, it's better to eat a plate of Eggs Benedict with salmon and roasted potatoes than an all you can eat breakfast buffet or McDonald's breakfast. You'll feel much better after. It's better to eat a gourmet burger with the brioche bun and a beer, than the McDonald's quarter pounder with fries and a soft drink. If you are struggling with your weight, try eating small meals 5-6 time per day.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Some of the healthcare workers had the bodies of a troll. The nurse drawing my blood, was about 5 feet tall and twice my width. How do they let this go on?
When my late wife was dying of cancer, I entered her hospital room one time and there was a young woman talking to her. Said she was the hospital dietitian.

I told her that was impossible because she was not obese.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #16

While exercising appears not to be an answer to weight loss according to a an article today in NYT (until a person exercises 60 minutes per day, 5 days per week) it does appear that getting from place to place without a car is very helpful. Studies coming mostly out of Europe continue to show a difference between people who use a motor vehicle to get from place to place and those who don't. Cyclists seem to be the most successful in keeping their weight/health in line. I expect walkers use their motor vehicles more. Where you live plays a role for how often the car can be left in the garage but to the extent it can, it should help in weight loss and general health. Here is a link to an article about the European study. Study: Cycling daily reduces obesity - unless it's an e-bike | road.cc
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Mayo clinic says plan meals around fruits and vegetables and make protein a side dish. We eat way too much protein as Americans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My doctor tells me to eat more protein. So I won’t be treating it as a side dish.

Americans eat way too many carbs.
+1

The only thing that worked long-term for DW and myself is low carb. We eat lots of protein and fat. Our doctors are near-giddy with our weight and blood work.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #18

We are lucky to have so many experts telling us exactly what to do.

Some of them even agree with each other. Some of the time.

Whether their advice is right or wrong for me is something only I can decide.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

No expert, and would not presume to tell others how to eat - how personal can you get? Only saying what I do for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We are lucky to have so many experts telling us exactly what to do.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
When my late wife was dying of cancer, I entered her hospital room one time and there was a young woman talking to her. Said she was the hospital dietitian.

I told her that was impossible because she was not obese.
Sorry to hear about your late wife.

My wife worked in a hospital as an OR surgical nurse. She said that many surgeons refused to work with fat nurses in the OR during long surgical procedures because of their complaints about standing on their feet for long periods. One surgeon told a nurse to "get her fat ass out" and stop complaining and then got a harassment complaint against her. It's sad to see so many obese healthcare workers. But when society normalizes such an unhealthy condition, it's no wonder that this epidemic continues to spread. On the other hand, the number of fat doctors are rare at least where I go for my annual check-up. I personally would think twice about seeing a fat doctor specializing in sports medicine. The same can be said about eating at a restaurant with a fat chef. Both are red flags.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote