Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

I too consider myself low carb but not keto. Too many days under 20g and I really start to feel terrible. And 20g and ketosis is really not necessary to get the benefits. The new version of Atkins, or Ludwig's Always Hungry?, are both good resources on why upping fat and protein and cutting way back on processed carbs can work.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...131(18)30392-9

Cell Metabolism magazine:

Quote:
Dietary Fat, but Not Protein or Carbohydrate, Regulates Energy Intake and Causes Adiposity in Mice

•Energy intake was linked only to dietary fat levels and not protein or sucrose
•Adiposity increased with increasing fat content to 60% but thereafter declined
•Hypothalamic hunger pathways were unresponsive to dietary protein content
•Dopamine, opioid, and serotonin pathways were all stimulated by fat intake
Summary
The impacts of different macronutrients on body weight regulation remain unresolved, with different studies suggesting increased dietary fat, increased carbohydrates (particularly sugars), or reduced protein may all stimulate overconsumption and drive obesity. We exposed C57BL/6 mice to 29 different diets varying from 8.3% to 80% fat, 10% to 80% carbohydrate, 5% to 30% protein, and 5% to 30% sucrose. Only increased dietary fat content was associated with elevated energy intake and adiposity. This response was associated with increased gene expression in the 5-HT receptors, and the dopamine and opioid signaling pathways in the hypothalamus. We replicated the core findings in four other mouse strains (DBA/2, BALB/c, FVB, and C3H). Mice regulate their food consumption primarily to meet an energy rather than a protein target, but this system can be over-ridden by hedonic factors linked to fat, but not sucrose, consumption.
Of Mice and Men

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...131(18)30392-9

Cell Metabolism magazine:

Of Mice and Men
Yes, I saw that too! It will be death of half the good people in this country if the low-carb prescription turns out to be invalid [edit to "no better than the alternatives such as low-fat] as well I note that Gary Taubes's NUSI institute has basically gone belly up because the research wouldn't back up his theories.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-a-do...de-fell-apart/

As I said before, I think we all need to find our own path to better nutrition and weight loss. Starting with the question: "What do you think would be easiest for you to start doing immediately?" Cut out a food? A food group? Rearrange the eating schedule? Count calories? Go off of alcohol? Cover your plate with vegetables? I think the key is picking the easiest one for oneself and running with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I note that Gary Taubes's NUSI institute has basically gone belly up because the research wouldn't back up his theories.
There was a guy on another site, (that a couple current posters here still frequent), who was a total Taubes disciple.......don't know if he still posts there, (or even if he's still alive for that matter)......be interesting to see his reaction though.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #105

I lost 30 lbs on calorie counting. I don't believe in these fancy diets, in the end it is all about calories. Stick with veggies and chicken/fish, simple and effective.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #106

I'm doing Atkins induction. It is essentially the same as keto, but you don't spend time counting macros or anything. Essentially, you keep it under 20g carbs/day, so you fill up on protein and fat. It works really well for me and I feel great. The great thing is that is really does eliminate cravings and keeps blood sugar levels steady.

Here's a typical day that keeps me full and satisfied.

BR: 2 egg omelet cooked in butter with cheese
SN: 1/2 avocado and a couple oz. turkey breast
L: dark green leafy salad with chicken breast, olive oil and vinegar
D: two cups veggies, a protein, a healthy fat. This can take a lot of different forms, but stir fry with coconut oil is a frequent one.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #107

Low carb is also inherently about reducing calories, just by eating foods that make one much more satiated.

Go on Reddit and see how both sides are completely tearing apart that fat study.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #108

No processed food , lots of veggies lots of fruit protein twice a day , no bigger then the palm of your hand . Potatos , no more then once a week , but carbs twice a day 40 cal bread is fine ………….8 glasses of water cheese small portion no more then once a week . Butter , a small patter every day . A glass of skim milk every day . Eat all the green veggies you are satisfied with . Salad ok w/ lo cal dressing .
My diet from my nephrologist .. You will lose weight fast
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a great summary of the dietary habits that keep us healthy! Good luck!

The Last Conversation You’ll Need to Have About Eating Right
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I have been thin-ish most of my life. I began eating low carb when my weight began to creep up about 7 or 8 years ago. Recently it began creeping up again and I was trying to get back down to my usual weight. I read this article about "intermittent fasting" which I quickly realized meant (for me) skipping breakfast. Lately I haven't been getting hungry till 10:30 or so in the morning so it was easy. My weight went right back to where I wanted it- I still have the occasional beer, wine and or chocolate, so it doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice at all.
I've also had good success with intermittent fasting. I'm doing the "16/8 Intermittent Fast." Here is a good scientific study that shows it works: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
This is a great summary of the dietary habits that keep us healthy! Good luck!

The Last Conversation You’ll Need to Have About Eating Right
Great article, keep scrolling, it's a long one. My big takeaway,

How much protein do I actually need?
We need less than most of us get. A dose of about 1 gram of protein daily per kilogram (2.2 lbs) body weight is already generous in terms of the formal DRIs (Dietary Reference Intakes). So that would mean a man of almost 200 pounds would get more than enough protein from 90 grams daily. Just 3.5 ounces of salmon has nearly 30 grams, and a cup of cooked lentils has about 18 grams. That 200-pound man could easily eat twice that much, or more, in a single meal. So, getting enough protein is easy, which is why there is virtually no such thing as protein deficiency in the USA outside of hospital wards (where it is an effect, not a cause, of serious illness).

What about vegetables? I’ve heard frozen can be healthier than fresh — is that possibly true?
There are instances of frozen vegetables being of higher quality and higher nutritional content than “fresh” vegetables. This is particularly true when produce is “flash frozen,” meaning frozen quickly at very low temperature right after harvesting. Age is everything, and freezing retards aging. So, “fresh” produce that comes from far away is likely to lose some of its nutrient value during the transit time, whereas frozen produce is more likely to preserve the nutrients it had at the start of its journey. The best vegetables are likely to be fresh and locally sourced, but flash frozen is nearly as good, and those “fresh” vegetables that spend a long time in storage or transit are probably the least nutritious.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post

<snip>
So that would mean a man of almost 200 pounds would get more than enough protein from 90 grams daily. Just 3.5 ounces of salmon has nearly 30 grams, and a cup of cooked lentils has about 18 grams. That 200-pound man could easily eat twice that much, or more, in a single meal.
I've been eating a lot less meat since I came back from India; my tour group had been joking about going home and having a nice, juicy steak and that just sounded alien to me. That was 4 months ago and I still haven't had one. A few days ago I grilled 4 ounces of fairly lean pork (forget what cut it was but it came from Costco and had been well-trimmed) and it tasted heavy and greasy and fatty. I'm having the remaining piece (another 4 ounces) tonight but won't be buying beef or pork again- just too heavy. I enjoy fish and eat a lot of nonfat Greek yogurt sweetened with honey, as well as many legumes and grains, so I'm probably getting enough protein.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #113

I'm heading in the right direction. I started out at 190 lbs, two weeks ago. Today I weighed myself and I am 177 lbs. Well , to be honest 178 lbs. I weighed myself twice and I will take 12 lbs anytime. Still no beer, one coke a day, no potato chips, no pop corn. I have been snacking a little on unsalted nuts. I am very happy with my progress. Still drinking a lot of water. I hope to be able to keep it up.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm 5 7 and a half .... At 134 lbs I am a lean but not skinny size 4. 37-27-36.5, for the older ones who remember when women's measurements were a common topic of public discussion [emoji16]

It's funny how our weights can be all over the place and still be lean.
Exactly. Add 2" to the waist one and make it 160 lbs sz 6 and you've got me. As long as my BMI / BFA is in the healthy range & i can hike all day I'm good.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Stick with veggies and chicken/fish, simple and effective.

Not to sound like a wise-guy, but that is also a low-carb diet.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

We are all different and what works for one may not work for another. I cannot tell anybody else what to do, but only what worked for me and what did not work.

My situation was that while I was not obese I had been gaining weight every year since my mid-50's. My waist size had gone from 34 to 36 in about four years, and a few years later I was pushing a size 38 if I wanted to be comfortable in my pants. The trend was not my friend. My BMI had gone from being slightly on the low side for my height to being at the edge of the high side of normal.

Here is my experience with various ways to eat and control one's weight. YMMV.

1. Low-fat. Did not work for me. I actually gained a few pounds. I could not maintain it as I was always hungry, fighting my body every inch of the way.

2. Calorie counting. Did not work for me. No weight gain, but no loss. And, again, I was fighting my body's signals constantly.

3. Vegetarian. (milk and eggs ok in my version). Did not work. I fought my body's signals though not nearly as fiercely as with 1 and 2 above. I seem to need some meat about once a day. I do eat more veggies and fruits now and it left me with some very good vegetarian recipes.

4. Give up added sugar. Worked OK. Lost 10 pounds. Then stopped losing.

5. Lower-carb. (Carbs less than 100g a day). Worked better than the above and I lost another 15 pounds on it after giving up sugar in #4. Gained about 5 back. But after that it held steady.

5. Slower-carb. (As laid out in Always Hungry). Lost another 10 pounds. So far the best. I am at my lowest weight in at least 15 years. It seems maintainable. I actually fit into some of my older size 34 pants again. I'll let you know more in a year.

Note1: All of the above, with the exception of low-fat, at least stopped my weight gain, but I needed to lose also.

The above may seem rather helter-skelter, but I assure you I did each methodically, with knowledge of how they were supposed to be done, over a period of the 6 years since my retirement. No jumping about from one to another after a few weeks. My shortest time was on low-fat. After three months I had gained another 4 -6 pounds, IIRC, so I quit it.

My story. Take what you wish and leave the rest.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #117

5 feet, 9 here. 190 pounds for about last 2 years. Been meaning to get down to at least 185 for years, never getting around to it. Finally, got down to 183. Cutting out beer. Down from 4 or 5 per day to 1 or 2 per day. Sometimes red wine instead. I added cranberry juice to my fridge. When beer craving comes around, I have a cran juice instead. Working pretty good so far. Also have salad made from Romaine lettuce and carrots, with high fat dressing. The dressing takes away hunger, and I get the goodness of the veggies. Also have apples and bananas around to have during carb cravings. Cut out pretzels and popcorn.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Eat Below Your Means:

I could eat that
I want to eat that
Everybody's eating that
But, it will keep me from achieving my goals.
So I won't eat that.

Spot on. Or, maybe said any of 3 other ways: Portion Control. Everything in Moderation. Diet and Exercise.
I was heavy my whole life, and at 5"10 180 lbs I'm not skinny now. But I was 220 when I took off the weight for good following the aforementioned mantras. I recognize, also, that combination of my genetics and having a sweet tooth means I'll never be at the correct text-book weight, but I'm happy as I am.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #119

One of the big problems I see regarding eating today is an apparent fear of not having food around to snack on. So many people at work keep bowls of candy on their desk and bring in cookies, chips, and other snacks to share with their poor, starving coworkers. Recently my group started up a snack bar stocked with cookies, candy, and chips. Who really needs any of that?? Just about every group meeting includes donuts, cookies, or cake and soft drinks. And people seem to feel obliged to eat that stuff just because it's there. One time when donuts were on the table at a 1:00 meeting, a coworker asked me if I was going to take one. I said no, I was still full from lunch. Heads turned to stare, and the coworker laughed and said, "Since when is that an excuse?"
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #120

Monday's weigh-in showed a loss of 1/10th of a pound.

Losing that 1/10th took 6,682 days. A little bit more than 18 years.

Up to that mark 18 years ago, I had lost 62 lbs.

Within the subsequent 18 years, I gained 74 lbs, reaching my high weight 11 years ago.

I started losing that weight nine years ago next month. I lost about 45 of it in a year, then bounced around in a 10-lb range for six years, lost 25, DH got sick and died, gained the 25 back, and now have lost almost 35 lbs since November.

Which gets me to 1/10th of a pound lost.

So now I'm working my way through what I weighed in college. Next stop, high school weight, which is about another 19 lbs to go. And hopefully another 10 lbs after that. I hope it doesn't take another 18 years.