weight loss retreat or "spa"

I agree that unless your mom makes up her mind to lose weight, it won't happen.
Weight watchers may well work for her if she's a people person. I'm on it and go to meetings: I've lost 10 lbs in the last 2 months--10 to go--and the meetings are actually fun--a great group of people. Another idea is to hire a personal trainer. If I wasn't so cheap I'd love one myself. Such a person can keep your mom accountable for diet as well as working on exercise.

If your mom enjoys people, Weight Watchers might well be a good option for her. I'm an introvert, but I've gotten to know the people at my location and love my leader so it really works for me. Most areas have multiple meetings. If she goes to one and doesn't like the leader, I would encourage her to try a different meeting. Some leaders click with me and some don't.

On the YMCA - many YMCAs have Older Adult programs that have exercise programs for older people and around here some have water aerobics programs that are for the older group and I would think would be less strenuous. Also, around here you can get personal training at the Y so that might be an option and then she could get training at her pace.

What he said. Exercise is really important for health, but it won't make you lose weight unless you are working like a farm hand in hot weather many hours per day (and I grew up on a farm and worked like an animal before anyone gets offended). Diet is probably 80%+ of the total weight loss package. Intermittent Fasting is my latest thing. I'm not overweight (maybe 10 lbs.), but I'm not happy with the fat percentage of my body. Does IF work? Who knows, but I feel healthier.

We(DW and I) dropped 110 pounds together, total investment was a $15.00 food scale. Download MyFitnessPal and start logging your food. We did that and started walking slowly, after a few weeks we were walking two miles.

The biggest factor is diet. I measured all my calorie deficit over a 20 pound weight loss, fifteen pounds were attributed to diet, five to exercise.

They also have a social media site for some education and support for people. You can find many examples of folks who lost 50, 100, 200 pounds. Many of these folks are 50, 60+ years old.

Fifteen bucks and some time invested in education she'll use to keep it off.

FWIW DW had been told years before she needed a knee. Took meds for years, today no meds, no knee pain.

Back
Top Bottom