weight loss retreat or "spa"

Beachgrl

Recycles dryer sheets
Doing some research for my mother who is 66 and obese. Her knee is shot and ankle soon to follow. I'm interested in learning about places you go and stay at with diet and fitness coaching and meals.

We're in NY, does anyone have any recommendations or idea of the cost of one of these places? Feel free to message me. Thanks in advance.

Would probably be cheaper to hire a trainer. My aunt had similar issues. She hired a trainer that came into the house and policed the food in the house and started her on an exercise program. Now my aunt wanted to do this and it worked for her. The trainer came twice a week for the first month then once a week for the next two months and then once a month. My aunt lost the weight and kept it off. This all took 4 years but she's going on 69 and kept the weight off. Your mom has to want to do this, you can't make her. My aunt had to have her doctor give her approval to work with the trainer. I believe that's a requirement with a certified trainer.

Would probably be cheaper to hire a trainer.

It would probably be more effective to hire a trainer too. A week at a spa won't change lifetime habits, but willpower, with ongoing coaching, might.

Go to the spa. Get pampered and rubbed. Have fun & lose a couple pounds.

Anything I've ever read about those places has a high emphasis on physical activity - which it sounds like your Mom might not be able to enjoy. These activities are also in groups, like hikes and things. For hours every day.

The meals are also tiny, nutritious, gourmet, but not a lesson in new habits. I think these types of resorts are more geared to the high end consumer (type A) who wants to quickly drop 3-5 lbs, in a high glam high touch place, and not really for the purpose of a life change, nor for someone who isn't already quite active.

Your mom might do better meeting with her doctor for a plan, working with a local nutritionist, and physical therapist/or her local YMCA might have resources.

i agree that there is no magic bullet approach. The single most effective plan I've seen, based on the small sample of people I know, is to begin a regular walking program. One person I'm quite familiar with dropped 45 pounds over the course of a couple of years simply by walking around the neighborhood. First day is just part way down the block and back, next day a bit farther, etc.

Another essential part is simply developing the will power to deny yourself any food unless you're actually hungry. Some will disagree and recommend constant grazing with very small portions, but that only works for some people.

I have a friend who used to go to those places--she was exceptionally fit but heavier than she wanted to be. Nothing worked long-term. If you want to give her the experience as a gift, why not, it would be a nice experience and might make her want to continue at home later.

You could also set her up with a nearby hospital's nutritionist and pay for several sessions. A couple of our area's hospitals offer a lot of programs (both diet and training) that might appeal to her and dollar for dollar might be more effective. They are nice and the programs might be more geared to her health level and age than a spa.
'

I have seen the correlation between obesity and joint replacements--by sitting in a orthopedic surgeon's office. If someone has seriously deteriorating joints, weight loss should be a priority. Even if a transplant is in the future, they'll all benefit from weight loss prior to the procedure.

But after joint damage is done, the individual is often "behind the 8 ball." They cannot get enough exercise to change their metabolism enough to where weight will reduce.

I'd be in our hospital's well care center to start. There are also weight loss clinics staffed by a M.D. that can use medication and vitamin shots to stifle appetites, and they work somewhat.

But ultimately, it's the calorie (and carbohydrate) intake that's the difference. And many people don't have the willpower or culinary ability to make low calorie cooking interesting.

We(DW and I) dropped 110 pounds together, total investment was a $15.00 food scale. Download MyFitnessPal and start logging your food. We did that and started walking slowly, after a few weeks we were walking two miles.

The biggest factor is diet. I measured all my calorie deficit over a 20 pound weight loss, fifteen pounds were attributed to diet, five to exercise.

They also have a social media site for some education and support for people. You can find many examples of folks who lost 50, 100, 200 pounds. Many of these folks are 50, 60+ years old.

Fifteen bucks and some time invested in education she'll use to keep it off.

FWIW DW had been told years before she needed a knee. Took meds for years, today no meds, no knee pain.

....The single most effective plan I've seen, based on the small sample of people I know, is to begin a regular walking program....

I agree. Several people I know have lost a lot of weight through a regular walking program.

If the weather isn't good where you live, take the $ you would spend on a spa or personal trainer and buy a treadmill instead. Spas and personal trainers are fine, but you still need to have a personal commitment to lose weight. Start off slow and work up to 10,000 steps a day.

Also work in some resistance training. Lots of info online. You can start off with exercise at home with no weights, and work your way up to weights / gyms.

Also cut back on food portions, and eliminate bad foods from your diet. Losing weight is as simple as burning more calories than you take in.

Simple? Really?
:facepalm:

It is if you constantly burn more calories than you take in. But I know it's a big if. I've been there - when I went months without burning more calories than I ate. But when you get in a groove where you consistently burn off more than you take in - it can be easy to lose weight. It just takes a lot of commitment.

Simple? Really?
:facepalm:

Yes it is simple, but pretty impossible for some folks as super high calorie food is yummy, easy to find, cheap (per calorie), and yummy yummy.

If a person cannot deny themselves junk food, then they will get fatter, unless they work out like an Olympic athlete

DW and I really enjoyed sharing a desert at Cracker Barrel a baked pie type of dish, last time we had it, they had the calories on the menu: 1,900 calories for a single desert :facepalm: Now we realize we cannot eat that anymore.
That is more than an average calorie intake requirement per day for most folks. :facepalm:

My fat relative used to complain how hard it was to lose weight as she munched down on potato chips, her grocery order always included 4->5 big size bags of potato chips. :facepalm:

Yes it is simple, but pretty impossible for some folks as super high calorie food is yummy, easy to find, cheap (per calorie), and yummy yummy.

If a person cannot deny themselves junk food, then they will get fatter, unless they work out like an Olympic athlete.

<snip>
My fat relative used to complain how hard it was to lose weight as she munched down on potato chips, her grocery order always included 4->5 big size bags of potato chips. :facepalm:

My first thought when I read the OP was that the spa was not a long-term solution. I see that I have plenty of company! I'll second the recommendation for myfitnesspal.com although I haven't logged onto it in a long time. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is a sustainable change in your eating and exercise habits. I lost 15 lbs. over a couple of years by eating less (including weighing some portions), reading labels and kicking up my exercise a notch. I've kept it off for 4 years now. My own method is to restrict my calorie intake to about 1,000 calories 2 days a week, and to burn 600-700 calories a day in cardio workouts. Not for everyone!

My gym is in a shopping center in a poorer area of town and when I stop by to pick up fresh produce, I despair at the carts full of "sports drinks", chitlins and ribs on special and other mostly empty-calorie foods in the carts around me. They're buying themselves big health problems and we all pay for it.

I would say save the week-end spa money and have her join a gym . Then have her sign up with the trainer and some easy classes . I would recommend the water classes . There are lots of large woman with bad knees at these classes . She will make friends and be more motivated .I especially like all woman gyms .

From what I've learned there's a few medical conditions(besides age) that can increase weight gain. I'd seriously have a DR. check for those and recommend a trip to an RD. She'll do well if she can just change the calories she consumes. Obviously any additional exercise is good for weight loss and physical conditioning.

One thing to keep in mind most of the medical doctors have very little training in diet so be aware this is a subject that they may not be an expert in! That's what the dietician is for. Most of the crap you find on the net is woo and can't be believed. There's no magic fat burning foods, nor does eating fat(in moderation) make you fat.

We found weight loss to be very easy when we:

Were honest about weighing and logging Everything we ate!

Made diet changes we could live with forever.

Review the foods we ate and in many cases found lower calorie substitutes, i.e. chicken vs beef, Greek yogurt instead of mayo.

Made most of our foods ourselves from items that were minimally processed. That makes logging easier too.

how long are the weight loss retreats? days or weeks?

what about that "positive changes" hypnosis thing? That seems to work.

I lost 40lbs a few years ago by walking 10k steps/day with an hour of fast walking included. I also ate 1600 calories/day. It took 2 years to come off and I have maintained for another 2 years. I bought a fitbit and weighed and measured everything I ate. I feel much better. I am 62.

I am currently maintaining a 65 pound weight loss and am only a few years younger than your mom. I also have bad knees. Many years ago I did go to a weight loss spa for a week.

The question you ask is a complex one and there is no one answer that works for everyone. I follow a number of weight loss blogs (and have one of my own) and I've learned that different people need different things. Just some thoughts:

1. What does your mom want to do? Does she want to go and stay somewhere? Does she want to lose weight? What has worked or not worked for her in the past? I know that for me some things worked well for me and some didn't.

2. On going and staying somewhere, it is unclear to me if you are asking about some place for a long term stay to lose weight or if you are talking about a short visit to a weight loss spa.

When I went to the spa (many years ago), you could choose to go to classes for fitness or not go to them. I wanted my money's worth so mostly went. However, I was not fit before I got there and I couldn't keep up with most of the exercise. I was soon sore and miserable. If your mom isn't used to exercise an intense exercise spa may not be a good fit for her. Also, I know that with my knee I can't exercise for several hours a day. My knee won't hold up to it. I know some people feel these places can be a good jumpstart for someone. It didn't work that way for me. On the other hand, I could see going to one to try to get the last couple of pounds off once I was already in good shape. I'm not sure of current costs, but I researched it a few years ago and there was a wide variety of costs.

There are also places that people and go and stay for a long time to lose weight. I have heard of the Duke program, but have no experience with it. It is very expensive.

2. For most people, no matter how hard it is to lose the weight, the most difficult part is maintaining weight loss. Most people regain a significant amount of weight lost. Part of that may be due to burning fewer calories than expected after weight loss and some may be due to increased appetite after weight loss. Regardless, I have found that what has worked the best for me is to find a way to eat and exercise that works for me in the real world and that I can sustain in the real world. I personally found that Weight Watchers worked best for me. But, this is all very individual. That said, I found the Weight Watchers weekly meetings really helped me to structure my week and to stay accountable and keep my head thinking about weight loss.

3. Depending on your mother's weight and whether she has any health conditions she might qualify for weight loss surgery. I'm not advocating it or not advocating it, but it is an option for some people. Another option for those with serious obesity who don't want weight loss surgery may be a medically supervised weight loss program. Some hospitals have such programs. In some instances the hospital may have exercise programs available as well.

4. I do think a trainer can be helpful for the physical activity part of it. Most trainers I've had though haven't been very knowledgeable about weight loss.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful and informative responses!

A couple of years ago I privately paid for my mother to see a dietician every other week for about 2 months. No results except my bank account got leaner (bar-um bum rimshot). My mother swears she doesn't overeat and minimizes carbs. Well, that may be (may) so then we discussed a possible endocrine problem and in the shuffle of life she never got to see an endocrinologist. That's something I think I need to push again.

Exercise: some of you have mentioned at these places there is an emphasis on exercise. Well count her out. She DOES walk a dog 3 times a day. Maybe about a half a block each time, so there is SOME activity. But there is no way she'd be able to keep up with any type of strenuous activity and she'd just get frustrated, angry, and i'd get a call to pick her up. So I think this is out for the moment. I also reached out to one not that far from me and did get pricing. $4,400 double occupancy for 2 weeks includes all meals and classes, which she can afford but as my husband and brother keep telling me "There's no way she's going!". We have a YMCA nearby, I have encouraged her to join before, it has a pool, I will try to encourage this again. I will also look into any hospital based programs. I will also have her sign in to myfitnesspal. So thanks for all those suggestions!!

We have a YMCA nearby, I have encouraged her to join before, it has a pool, I will try to encourage this again.

Look at that carefully. Our local Y has water aerobics and DW was initially attracted to that. She said the classes were quite strenuous -- they are designed to really get your heart rate up. That's a good thing, but I suspect your mom would be frustrated at the outset and stop attending. Maybe your Y has lower impact programs. Worth checking out.

I am currently maintaining a 65 pound weight loss and am only a few years younger than your mom. I also have bad knees. Many years ago I did go to a weight loss spa for a week.

The question you ask is a complex one and there is no one answer that works for everyone. I follow a number of weight loss blogs (and have one of my own) and I've learned that different people need different things. Just some thoughts:

1. What does your mom want to do? Does she want to go and stay somewhere? Does she want to lose weight? What has worked or not worked for her in the past? I know that for me some things worked well for me and some didn't.

2. On going and staying somewhere, it is unclear to me if you are asking about some place for a long term stay to lose weight or if you are talking about a short visit to a weight loss spa.

When I went to the spa (many years ago), you could choose to go to classes for fitness or not go to them. I wanted my money's worth so mostly went. However, I was not fit before I got there and I couldn't keep up with most of the exercise. I was soon sore and miserable. If your mom isn't used to exercise an intense exercise spa may not be a good fit for her. Also, I know that with my knee I can't exercise for several hours a day. My knee won't hold up to it. I know some people feel these places can be a good jumpstart for someone. It didn't work that way for me. On the other hand, I could see going to one to try to get the last couple of pounds off once I was already in good shape. I'm not sure of current costs, but I researched it a few years ago and there was a wide variety of costs.

There are also places that people and go and stay for a long time to lose weight. I have heard of the Duke program, but have no experience with it. It is very expensive.

2. For most people, no matter how hard it is to lose the weight, the most difficult part is maintaining weight loss. Most people regain a significant amount of weight lost. Part of that may be due to burning fewer calories than expected after weight loss and some may be due to increased appetite after weight loss. Regardless, I have found that what has worked the best for me is to find a way to eat and exercise that works for me in the real world and that I can sustain in the real world. I personally found that Weight Watchers worked best for me. But, this is all very individual. That said, I found the Weight Watchers weekly meetings really helped me to structure my week and to stay accountable and keep my head thinking about weight loss.

3. Depending on your mother's weight and whether she has any health conditions she might qualify for weight loss surgery. I'm not advocating it or not advocating it, but it is an option for some people. Another option for those with serious obesity who don't want weight loss surgery may be a medically supervised weight loss program. Some hospitals have such programs. In some instances the hospital may have exercise programs available as well.

4. I do think a trainer can be helpful for the physical activity part of it. Most trainers I've had though haven't been very knowledgeable about weight loss.

Great questions.

1. I haven't even broached the idea of going somewhere with her, first because I didn't know cost, second, well, it's obviously a touchy subject. She always SAYS she wants to lose weight but somehow can't. In the way past, Weight watchers worked for her. She has been obese for so long, I've never known her not obese. It scares me because I know that health crises are around the corner.

2. I was really looking for an extended stay place. but i think this is out.

3. i think i will encourage weight watchers. I'm not sure if there are meetings near me anymore and i doubt she'd do the online thing (she's a people person and the interaction motivates her).

4. my mother has had bad reactions to other surgeries in the past so i'd be super nervous with her going for that option but i think she has considered it. I just wish there was another way without that.

There is also an element of depression mixed in. my mother refuses treatment or medicine for this. that plays a huge (no pun intended) role. I'm sure when she's depressed she binge eats.

Look at that carefully. Our local Y has water aerobics and DW was initially attracted to that. She said the classes were quite strenuous -- they are designed to really get your heart rate up. That's a good thing, but I suspect your mom would be frustrated at the outset and stop attending. Maybe your Y has lower impact programs. Worth checking out.

Thanks. I've actually seen the class when I had a membership and it looked easy enough. The ladies were my mom's age and younger.

Beachgrl, You can encourage but since your mother is not doing anything to help herself then you are fighting a losing battle. It would be one thing if she was asking for help, is she?

My Mother is about to turn 89, and has been in the water for the past 30 years. She does the water aerobics class (and teaches it when the instructor doesn't show!). I took the class (I am overweight and out of shape), and it was a bit tiring, but not overly strenuous. Considering that the people taking it were doing as much as they wanted to /could, it was a great class for everyone. It also would be a good social outing for any senior.

Back
Top Bottom