Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would also recommend taking a look at a Bowflex machine, I've had one for about 10 years and still use it regularly. One with a lat tower and leg attachment offers so many different workout options. The resistance is very smooth unlike some cable machines that can get jerky if not greased properly. Have seen many for sale on craigslist for a reasonable price.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A bowflex would be a great option, but I tried one, and instantly felt that it wasn't as pleasing to use as was lifting weights. Hard to describe, but for me it was yucky.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I recognize the machine, but without my laundry hanging all over it I can't say for sure! LOL
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I think I recognize the machine, but without my laundry hanging all over it I can't say for sure! LOL
I can relate to this as DW uses my power cage and bench as a clothes hanger and stand for the laundry basket. Problem is that my setup is located in our Texas sized master bathroom since there is no other space available elsewhere in the house.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A bowflex would be a great option, but I tried one, and instantly felt that it wasn't as pleasing to use as was lifting weights. Hard to describe, but for me it was yucky.
Probably wasting my your time, but I also vote (third vote) for a Bowflex. I've had one for about 11 years and I think it's not only safer than freeweights (of course), it's safer and a better workout than most if not all weight stack machines. My only gripe with all these machines is how much space they take up.

I use dumb bells, but not larger free weights, because you'd have to have a spotter and I want to be able to work out safely alone.

I prefer the Bowflex because it's all cables and pulleys vs tracks, so it brings stabilizer muscles and others muscles into the workout (aside from the major muscles most exercises target). You don't get that benefit when your lifting on tracks and the path of the weights is outside your control - the other muscles don't get into the game. Using more than just major muscles should provide a greater benefit in real life when your muscles are actually called to act. FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

OK, so suppose you buy somebody's used Bowflex and somehow manage to haul it home. Is it possible for the average person, with average tools, to set it up?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Probably wasting my your time, but I also vote (third vote) for a Bowflex. I've had one for about 11 years and I think it's not only safer than freeweights (of course), it's safer and a better workout than most if not all weight stack machines. My only gripe with all these machines is how much space they take up.

I use dumb bells, but not larger free weights, because you'd have to have a spotter and I want to be able to work out safely alone.

I prefer the Bowflex because it's all cables and pulleys vs tracks, so it brings stabilizer muscles and others muscles into the workout (aside from the major muscles most exercises target). You don't get that benefit when your lifting on tracks and the path of the weights is outside your control - the other muscles don't get into the game. Using more than just major muscles should provide a greater benefit in real life when your muscles are actually called to act. FWIW...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I'll give the bowflex another look, thanks.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
OK, so suppose you buy somebody's used Bowflex and somehow manage to haul it home. Is it possible for the average person, with average tools, to set it up?

Amethyst
If you can put together a conventional weight machine, you can certainly put together a Bowflex - neither is very difficult. And if you buy used, there's no reason it would need to be completely disassembled, just broken down into a few manageable pieces.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

If I have to disassemble something I will take many photos first
Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The bowflex assembly is nothing. One of the easiest things I've ever put together. Easier by far than anything that ever rolled out of Ikea. I suspect the designer was sober and the instruction writer spoke English. Also, there aren't any weights so it doesn't weigh much at all. And it has wheels so you can tip it and roll it without even taking it apart. Just bungee the bench up to the tower and away you go.

I gave mine away when we moved a few years ago, due to lack of space. I've been thinking about seeing if my buddy is using it, and asking for it back if he's not. It's certainly not as good a workout as free weights, but it's fine for most things. I do think the leg workout is rather weak, for some reason. But for upper body and core, it works pretty well.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mine is a Bowflex Ultimate (old model that offers 90 different exercises) and it took a little doing to put it all together originally but the instructions were good. But now you could easily break it down into 3-4 big pieces (rods, bench, tower & leg attachment) and move it - there is no need to fully break it down again. If you had a pickup truck, you could move it without disassembling at all (provided you could also get it in-out of respective homes). But the same would be true for a conventional weight machine...good luck whatever you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 710857.jpg (12.9 KB, 131 views)

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the tips & hints. Will keep an eye out for a good deal on a bowflex...will have to rent a pickup truck though.

A.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Mine is a Bowflex Ultimate (old model that offers 90 different exercises) and it took a little doing to put it all together originally but the instructions were good. But now you could easily break it down into 3-4 big pieces (rods, bench, tower & leg attachment) and move it - there is no need to fully break it down again..
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

You can have our bowflex, all the stuff, and the owners manual. In great shape. I have shipped heavy things & even horses via a company called uship.com, dont know if they are still around.
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

This bowflex is only $100.

But it looks more limited -- does anyone know what model that is?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This bowflex is only $100.

But it looks more limited -- does anyone know what model that is?
It looks similar to what I have (Bowflex XTL) except there is no leg attachment and the lower horizontal pulley attachment isn't adjustable like it is on the XTL. Not a bad deal for $100. If you decide it's not for you you'll have no problem getting your money back.

Don't see it in the photo so I would check if this one comes with a squat attachment, it's something I use all the time.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Right. I think that one's out, since the leg exercises are a high priority. I am going to look at an Elite

tomorrow just to try out the feel of a bowflex again, to see if my old impressions were correct for me. The seller wants $650, which is the price of a new one. It's been on craigslist for over a month, so I'm sure she'd be willing to consider a much lower price.

I'm really only interested in something like the Body by Science "Big five" exercises: pulldown, chest press, seated row, overhead press, and leg press, so much of the capabilities of the machine I get will go to waste. I can currently do the approximate equivalent of the first three with pullups, pushups, and this:

RowExercise.jpg

If I do the pullups and pushups very slowly, the rep count is in a good range.

Of course, I'm tempted to make one of these:

Old 06-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Today I bought this:

BowflexFront.jpg BowflexSide.jpg

I gave Bowflex another chance, (thanks Ronstar, Zinger and Midpack), and I decided the feel was OK. I figured a Bowflex would be of better quality than most home gyms, have continued company support, add those micropositional movements, and be easier to move.

This had been listed for $600 over a month ago, then $500, and I bargained them down to $400. The seller and her boyfriend and I manhandled it onto my truck, then at home I partially disassembled it, and put it back together upstairs. I was impressed with the assembly manual and the alignment of the parts. It was slow, easy, and fun. It's in like-new condition.

I've tried some exercises with low resistance, and I'll take it easy when I start.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Looks great, Al!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Al. I really hope you like the Bowflex and I know you can get good results from it like many home gyms. You got a good deal and that's one of their more compact models (I'm jealous, mine takes up a lot of space).

We're here to pump you up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hans_franz.jpg (10.8 KB, 61 views)

Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I did my first high intensity training on the Bowflex today. I was careful not to overdo it. It will take a while to get just the right amount of resistance.

The lat pulldown, chest press, seated row, and seated overhead press all worked well, but I haven't gotten the squat working well yet. This is how it is supposed to work:

Squat.jpg

But the problem is, when I load things up, it's hard to get the squat bar into position without having to bend down too far. I have to pull it over my head. If I have to bend way down, they I'm risking my back. I'm talking to their tech support, which is good, and I've got some things to try.

I could do the leg extension instead, but a number of sites say that that puts too much stress on the knee.

LegExtension.jpg

I was worried that the seated row would put too much stress on my back, but that's not the case at all.

Row.jpg