Weight training as we age ... NY Times article

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As I understand things there are maybe 3 types of exercise for a healthy body:
1) Aerobic
2) Weight training
3) Stretches

I've only just recently been concentrating on #2 and #3. For #1, I've done running for decades.

Regarding weight training there was an interesting NY Times article here, Can You Regains Muscle Mass as You Age?:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/can-you-regain-muscle-mass-after-age-60/?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fhealth&action=click&contentCollection=health®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

The key, he continues, is regular and progressive weight training. If you don’t belong to a gym, consider joining one, and then plan on tiring yourself. In order to initiate the biochemical processes that lead to larger, stronger fibers, Dr. Bamman says, you should push your muscles until they are exhausted.

In his studies, volunteers used weights calibrated so that the lifters could barely complete a set of eight to 12 repetitions before their arms or legs grew leaden and they had to rest. They repeated each set two or three times and visited the gym three times per week.
I have joined a gym recently and the orientations did not emphasize pushing you muscles to higher weights. I am not trying to bulk up to attract the babes (DW could care less).

I am skeptical of most expert's opinions as the objectives seem to be varied and for many guys it's about physical attractiveness. That's not a bad objective, just not mine. For me, it is about doing regular tasks and activities without strain or injury i.e. having the muscle mass to be healthy. Looking good is a nice side effect. :)

So what do those who have been doing gym workouts think about increasing weights and how much to push things?

Last edited:
I am one of those highly sporadic, off-and-on (mostly off) types when it comes to weight training, but I will say that I've noticed a distinct improvement in results when I sustain a heavy lifting schedule--with gradually increasing weights--over several months. I've found as I've gotten older that this is much harder to do week after week, month after month due to injuries and setbacks, but it's definitely provided the best results for me. So I'd say I generally agree with the idea of consistently pushing your muscles to (near) exhaustion for optimal benefits. Three days per week sounds about right, as well.

I do not think you need to be lifting weights that are so heavy you can barely complete a set. That could easily lead to form problems and injuries. Use weights that are doable for you and let your body be your guide. I think its more important to get three weight training sessions in per week and I would shoot for ~ 45 minutes per session. Going heavy is not necessary to avoid sarcopenia.

Body by Science recommends a set of 5 core weight exercises, one set of 8-12 taken to failure, once a week. These do not need to be massive weights. You can get the benefits you need with lower weights than you might expect lifted, pushed, or pulled slowly. A recent studied (I think it was referenced in the Harvard Med review) suggested that weights are best two days a week. You definitely need time for recovery. And pushing to failure is mentally hard.

I do not think you need to be lifting weights that are so heavy you can barely complete a set. That could easily lead to form problems and injuries. Use weights that are doable for you and let your body be your guide. I think its more important to get three weight training sessions in per week and I would shoot for ~ 45 minutes per session. Going heavy is not necessary to avoid sarcopenia.
Sounds like sensible advice. But how to judge what weight to set? Right now I am just setting the weights according to what the gym trainers OK'd.

Most of the weights are pretty easy for me to handle now. Maybe I should go up gradually in 5 pound increments on several machines until the weight feels like a bit of a challenge but not giving me any trouble completing 2 reps of 12 lifts? Just a thought.

Body by Science recommends a set of 5 core weight exercises, one set of 8-12 taken to failure, once a week. These do not need to be massive weights. You can get the benefits you need with lower weights than you might expect lifted, pushed, or pulled slowly. A recent studied (I think it was referenced in the Harvard Med review) suggested that weights are best two days a week. You definitely need time for recovery. And pushing to failure is mentally hard.
What does "taken to failure" mean? Seems like it would be a strain.

My hardest weights right now are on the curl machine. One 12 set rep is OK but on the second one (after a rest of maybe 30 seconds) it is hard to complete at a count of about 10. So I would definitely think this is getting towards "failure". Sound right?

Sounds like sensible advice. But how to judge what weight to set? Right now I am just setting the weights according to what the gym trainers OK'd.

Most of the weights are pretty easy for me to handle now. Maybe I should go up gradually in 5 pound increments on several machines until the weight feels like a bit of a challenge but not giving me any trouble completing 2 reps of 12 lifts? Just a thought.

Yes, if it feels too light, you can probably handle a higher weight. I would try to lift for a week or two at a particular weight and then bump up if its something you can handle. Lifting slowly is also important and will help fatigue the muscle more effectively than those who try to speed thru their lifts. Time under tension is important.

Interesting article. But I question what good is done by lifting so much weight that you can barely finish a set.

I have sporadically lifted weights since high school, but not much in the last 5-10 years. I started regular lifting again 6 weeks ago, doing weight workouts 3 times a week following a 3 mile run. For me, the cardio / weights combined workout seems to yield the best results. I think the good cardio warmup promotes blood flow that heightens the results of the weight workout.

The most important thing about physical fitness in the older person is: DON'T GET HURT.

Go SLOW and LISTEN to your body.

I am not lifting weights right now, for the first time in decades. :( I miss it and will probably get back to it soon.

Here's my approach.

I would lift weights 3-4 times a week on the weight lifting machines, doing all the machines I had chosen on each of those days. I don't "knock myself out" weight lifting, but got a feel for what level of effort feels challenging but not too much for me.

The way I could tell when to increase, is that at some point one of the machines would start seeming easy. Then I would know that I could increase the weight. It could be anywhere from a week since the last time I had increased on that machine, or months sometimes.

I tried to focus on the effort it takes, rather than the actual amount of weights. Some days it takes more effort to lift the same weights, and on those days I would cut back a little. Other days everything seemed easier and then I would increase.

Listen to your body. As galeno hints, getting injured will set you back more than anything so if you think something is not going right and you might be heading towards injury, back off for a few days. "Light and right, not strong and wrong" is a good mantra; in other words, be meticulous about form and get that right with lighter weights before you even think about increasing weight at all. Focus intently on your form and breathing.

Another thing is that I started out with two sets of 10 on 6 machines, and gradually worked my way up to two sets of 10 on 22 machines over a number of years. I prefer not to rest between sets for any longer than it took to lift, so for me there's also a cardio component in weight lifting, and just getting worn out is not such a great result. Add a new machine when you feel ready.

Doing it this way, I ended up lifting WAY more weight than I ever would have thought possible for me. So that's how I choose to do it. A caveat is that I don't work with a personal trainer so maybe everything I do is stupid. But it works for me.

Last edited:
I've had a 310 lb Olympic set of weights since I was in my mid 20's. Now I'm in my mid 60's and I believe they (the set of weights) have gained more weight than I have. (and I've gained 40 to 50lbs over those years) I had to move them "again" a few weeks ago and they seemed to be twice as heavy as I recall. Maybe it was all the rust and dust on them? :LOL:

Last edited:
There's a good cliche that the best exercise is one you will do regularly. I love the aerobics parts that I do (running, cycling, swimming). I do resistance training, but don't enjoy it per se.
The weights regimen I do is at most 3 times/week (lat pull, bench presses, a few others), with each exercise limited. But, at least I do it, and I have progressed in the weights I lift. If I endeavored to do it more frequently or "to exhaustion" I'd probably end up hating it and quitting altogether.

...The way I could tell when to increase, is that at some point one of the machines would start seeming easy. Then I would know that I could increase the weight. It could be anywhere from a week since the last time I had increased on that machine, or months sometimes.
Sounds like a very sensible way to progress.
Listen to your body. As galeno hints, getting injured will set you back more than anything so if you think something is not going right and you might be heading towards injury, back off for a few days. "Light and right, not strong and wrong" is a good mantra; in other words, be meticulous about form and get that right with lighter weights before you even think about increasing weight at all. Focus intently on your form and breathing.
Yep, I do this with running. Have had very few injuries and those I did get were minor. So I take any steps up in exercise very gradually.
Another thing is that I started out with two sets of 10 on 6 machines, and gradually worked my way up to two sets of 10 on 22 machines over a number of years. I prefer not to rest between sets for any longer than it took to lift, so for me there's also a cardio component in weight lifting, and just getting worn out is not such a great result. Add a new machine when you feel ready.
I've been working out on about 9 machines with 2 sets of 12.

Yes, if it feels too light, you can probably handle a higher weight. I would try to lift for a week or two at a particular weight and then bump up if its something you can handle. Lifting slowly is also important and will help fatigue the muscle more effectively than those who try to speed thru their lifts. Time under tension is important.
I had not thought about lifting slowly but generally do a smooth continuous motion. Seems the workouts last around 20 to 25 minutes but I don't hurry things.

What does "taken to failure" mean? Seems like it would be a strain.

My hardest weights right now are on the curl machine. One 12 set rep is OK but on the second one (after a rest of maybe 30 seconds) it is hard to complete at a count of about 10. So I would definitely think this is getting towards "failure". Sound right?
You want to be unable to complete the last lift. When you are unable to move the weight for a count of ten you have taken the muscle to failure. The weights don't have to be overly massive to do it, just lift them slowly and evenly to fatigue the muscle. Try your curls next time with 15 seconds up and fifteen seconds down. Adjust the weight such that at the 11th or 12th rep you get to the point that you can't lift it all the way - i.e., stuck for 10 seconds.

I started lifting weights for real in March. Previously had been using machines with little results.

Best thing I have ever done. I've gained about 15 pounds. I know it is muscle because my body fat percentage has gone down and my Levi's waist size decreased to 32.

I use the Stronglifts 5x5 program (there is an app and website). The lifts are squat, bench, and row. Next time squat, overhead press, and deadlift. Alternate each workout. Starts light and increases by 5 pounds each workout 3 days a week.

I don't want to get big just strong and this is working great for me.

It is not clear if the blog is recommending 3 sessions a week of the same muscle groups or one session a week for each of 2 or 3 groups on different days.

I don't go to the gym, but I do chin-ups and pull-ups to failure a couple times a week, but failure is zero or one on the bar I have across my closet door.

And one just doesn't go from doing nothing into such a program to failure. I'd imagine a 3 to 4 week "warm-up" period of lighter weights and more reps would be appropriate before pounding it out.

Last edited:
You have to go to failure (unable to complete last rep in a set) and increase your weights over time to build muscle mass. Doing less will keep your muscles toned and healthy but no muscle mass gains.

I laugh when I hear people say "I don't want to lift too much because I don't want to get big muscles." This is especially common from ladies. Don't worry, it probably would not happen if you tried to, it takes alot of hard work, hour or more per day in the weight room (split routines, only a couple body parts worked per day), pushing to failure on each set, alot of focus, proper diet, good sleep habits.

Male over 40/50 years old will lose lots of muscle every year. I think strength training is more important than aerobic for us.

I do 6 big muscle group every week day, for about 25 minutes. I walk 30 minutes after lunch and dinner. Not running anymore so that I can have healthy knees in my 80s.

You have to go to failure (unable to complete last rep in a set) and increase your weights over time to build muscle mass. Doing less will keep your muscles toned and healthy but no muscle mass gains.

I laugh when I hear people say "I don't want to lift too much because I don't want to get big muscles." This is especially common from ladies. Don't worry, it probably would not happen if you tried to, it takes alot of hard work, hour or more per day in the weight room (split routines, only a couple body parts worked per day), pushing to failure on each set, alot of focus, proper diet, good sleep habits.

DW was afraid, not any more. She'd lost close to 50 pounds when we started lifting a year ago. She was a size 8 and pretty proud of what she accomplished. Over the next few months her 8s got too big. She only lost 5 pounds, but now she's a size 4. No big muscles, nice definition.

Well I guess taking the "muscle to failure" is associated with building muscle mass? Sounds also like it gets one closer to injury territory which is a trade off I suppose.

I think I'm more after just strength maintenance or slight enhancements. Maybe call it muscle toning plus. I don't injure myself around the house and I do a lot of gardening. Was just out there doing some pick work to take out deep roots on an area I will plant in the Spring. Then there are those occasional boulders I have to dig out of the soil for plantings. So in general my upper strength is fine for daily tasks.

It seems I should go with modest weight increases and leave the impressive stuff to the body builders I see in the gym.

Male over 40/50 years old will lose lots of muscle every year. I think strength training is more important than aerobic for us.

I do 6 big muscle group every week day, for about 25 minutes. I walk 30 minutes after lunch and dinner. Not running anymore so that I can have healthy knees in my 80s.
One size does not fit all. I'm 68 and have never had knee problems but I run on dirt trails and never more then 6 miles (with an occasional 8) at a time. Plus I use really good shoes which I retire at 500 miles and am not overweight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom