Join Early Retirement Today

Made the Payment for 3/1 Start
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made the Payment for 3/1 Start

Milestone reached! Paid the first month's premium!

Having a 22 year old child who may or may not need to file their own tax return in 2014, and an 18 year old that is still considered a child complicated things. The ACA site wanted to split them off into separate plan (22yo) or onto the state/local Medicaid (18yo). Gory details here: ACA and College Aged Kids

But by raising my income to around 230% of FPL, and saying that since before the 'life event' when Ms 22 will only earn $1000 (no tax return required), I got 'em all on the one policy with a nice subsidy!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #202

Nice!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just got a refund check from BCBSTX today. When I saw my enrollment looked successful in late December and I couldn't pay with my bank account on the website, I paid January's premium by credit card on December 28 and ate a $9.95 charge for it. (Normally I wouldn't do that but given the potential stakes I wanted something that gave me proof and confirmation that I paid.)

The letter I got today said the vendor processing these payments "voluntarily" waived their fee for January payments and a check for $9.95 is sitting on my desk now....

(I paid for February with a mailed check a few days ago and it already posted to my account. Looks like we're finally stabilizing.)
They got the pay on-line from bank account thing working very recently. DH was able to pay that way on Monday 2/3.

It didn't work for me one week prior, so I opted to do a bill pay from my bank using the member number as it was shown on my invoice. It was credited to my account a couple of days after the scheduled payment, so clearly that works also.

DH also got the refund check for the wrong Jan draft on his old policy.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #204

So has everyone who's enrolled in the ACA been covered since the start of the year?

If not, is it due to the state they live in?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So has everyone who's enrolled in the ACA been covered since the start of the year?

Policy start date for me was 2/1 because I had (former) employer coverage until 1/31.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #206

It would be interesting to have a poll in a couple of months, to see how the ACA policies are faring, like provider choice and such.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #207

Quote:

I started working on the signup on 1/25, the day after my employer HI ended. I got done before 2/15, so have a 3/1 'go-live'. So me and mine are ridin' dirty for about 35 days, but I've got the COBRA card to play, should something big come up. So far only a flu shot during the blackout period.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #208
Full time employment: Posting here.

We paid for January in mid-December by phone, but were not able to pay on-line until yesterday. We are now paid up for January and February and have auto-pay arranged.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
We paid for January in mid-December by phone, but were not able to pay on-line until yesterday. We are now paid up for January and February and have auto-pay arranged.
Were you able to browse the providers before you selected a policy?

Presuming you went through coveredca.com, since San Diego is listed as your location?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #210

Two things happened with my ACA in the last 24 hours. First, I finally received a premium notice for my new policy. Unfortunately, it and the February premium check I mailed out last week crossed in the mail, so the bill was for both the "missing" February premium and the March premium, the latter I expected.

Second, I got a call from a BCBS rep. She told me she was going to print out the Welcome Package and mail it to me right away. While I had her on the phone, I told her about the premium notice I just got and the check I had mailed out last week. We agreed that I would wait another week or two until I saw the February premium check clear my own checking account, then mail out my March premium. There was a mysterious 4-cent outstanding balance, caused perhaps by an incorrect original premium amount I was given. I told the rep I would simply subtract whatever I paid from the outstanding amount to resolve any tiny differences. She was fine with that.

Making progess slowly, one step at a time.......
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #211

Last Friday, not having received a bill for February 2014, I logged into Anthem and finally found an invoice posted there. WOW! I printed it out and sent off my payment for February and March, for which they had prepared the invoice.

I checked this morning, and the check has not been cashed. I was not worried.

Then in today's mail, I received that invoice, due 2/1/14, which I've already paid.

And then I logged into Anthem and got the following message:

Pay My Bill
Your health plan was purchased through a health insurance marketplace (also called an exchange), not directly from Anthem.

To pay your bill, or for other billing questions, please contact the health insurance marketplace where you purchased your health plan.

How can I contact the marketplace/exchange?

You can call the local health insurance marketplace at

Email the local health insurance marketplace at

Go to the local health insurance marketplace website at

No phone numbers or websites included in the above.

We're not done with this yet, are we?

Oh, and when I checked to see which hospital(s) we would use in case we need one, there was none listed within 100 miles. Should I be worried?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #212

Could you see the providers before you signed up?

I can't imagine no providers in the Bay Area.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #213

Quote:
Could you see the providers before you signed up?

I can't imagine no providers in the Bay Area.
I saw a few doctors, not our own, nor did I see our local hospitals. I just figured it was yet another website problem back then.

I looked last week and did just a hospital search and found nothing; however, I will try again.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #214

A lot of insurers offered lower rates to medical providers for these ACA plans and a lot of them declined the lower rates.

But if that means all the doctors and hospitals in a major metropolitan area dropped out of ACA plans and all you can do is go to some smaller cities far away from the Bay Area, I would think there would be a huge outcry.

I haven't looked at coveredca.com yet so I'll be curious to see if my provider is there.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #215

Quote:
A lot of insurers offered lower rates to medical providers for these ACA plans and a lot of them declined the lower rates.

But if that means all the doctors and hospitals in a major metropolitan area dropped out of ACA plans and all you can do is go to some smaller cities far away from the Bay Area, I would think there would be a huge outcry.

I haven't looked at coveredca.com yet so I'll be curious to see if my provider is there.
I just looked again on DH's laptop, using Firefox instead of Safari. The site looked somewhat different, I wasn't punted off to pay via the exchange, and best of all, I found the hospital down the street IS in the network. What a relief!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Two things happened with my ACA in the last 24 hours. First, I finally received a premium notice for my new policy. Unfortunately, it and the February premium check I mailed out last week crossed in the mail, so the bill was for both the "missing" February premium and the March premium, the latter I expected.

Second, I got a call from a BCBS rep. She told me she was going to print out the Welcome Package and mail it to me right away. While I had her on the phone, I told her about the premium notice I just got and the check I had mailed out last week. We agreed that I would wait another week or two until I saw the February premium check clear my own checking account, then mail out my March premium. There was a mysterious 4-cent outstanding balance, caused perhaps by an incorrect original premium amount I was given. I told the rep I would simply subtract whatever I paid from the outstanding amount to resolve any tiny differences. She was fine with that.

Making progess slowly, one step at a time.......
Yay! I received the welcome package, finally. The February premium check has not cleared yet, so I won't be paying my March premium yet but there is sitll time for that. The welcome package does not include a list of area doctors or hospitals, I have to go on line for that. Not a big deal.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #217

I got a 'thank you for submitting your application...' letter from BCBSNC after working through the healthcare.gov site (many tries). But the letter said "...please return the Initial Payment Form...", and then, later, "Please disregard this notice if you have recently paid...". Geeze. They should know. I paid with credit card online. When I try to log into the BCBS NC site, it says I can only do so after my policy effective date (March 1).
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Not yet, but in Vermont our 2013 HDHI policy was extended for 3 months so until the end of March I have the same plan and rates as 2013.

I am trying to get a federal exemption certificate so I can purchase catastrophic coverage (even though we are older than 30). The feds issued the form just before Christmas. I filled it out and sent it to the feds. It is pretty clear that I will qualify because 1) our 2013 plan is being eliminated and 2) the lowest cost bronze level plan exceeds 8% of our projected income.

The feds erroneously sent my application for an exemption certificate to my state exchange. My state exchange has sorted it out with the feds and sent the federal exemption certificate application back to the feds for processing. Still waiting but I have been away from home for a month so it may be in my mail pile.

I'll be back home in a couple weeks and sort it out in March. If it works my 2014 premiums will be $200/month lower than what I currently pay and $250/month lower than the lowest cost bronze plan and the benefits are substantially similar.

BTW, I was lucky and was put in contact with a higher level person at the state exchange who has been tremendously helpful in sorting this whole thing out. OTOH, the feds seem like Keystone Cops and are totally clueless in my experience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #219
Dryer sheet aficionado

I enrolled through Healthcare.gov in October, with BCBSKC, and received phone calls, welcome packet and card in November. Paid the first premium in December (just called BC and did it over the phone, because their site couldn't handle 2014 billing periods just yet.) I'm now on auto-pay, where BC bills my Discover at the end of each month.

The insurance has worked well, at the pharmacy, my PCP, and a dermatologist (for some basal cell removals.) And, I had my first colonoscopy this week -- covered now as a screening procedure. But, if the path reports show any polyps were malignant, follow-up treatment will be covered @ 90% of allowables, with a $500 out-of-pocket max, most of which I've already met. (I was able to qualify for significant premium and cost-sharing reductions, because most of my assets and "income" are sheltered in IRAs -- I do small Roth conversions as needed...) So, the added bonus is that when MRD time comes, my taxes will be much lower, too.

The initial enrollment process did require a lot of patience, but it was worth it. This site was very helpful, so thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #220
Recycles dryer sheets

I successfully signed up in Dec after a few fails.

We're quite happy with our plan and the unsubsidized cost.