Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi everyone,
This is my first post aside from my introduction. I came out of lurkdom to say thanks to all here who posted problems and solutions with the ACA sign up. Your comments helped me.
I was able to enroll through Healthcare.gov in early December. It took about two weeks to hear from the insurer, Aetna. But I then made my payment and about a week ago received my membership card. I have also been able to register on their website.
So thanks again everyone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
DH got 2 cards in the mail today, both with his name. Is one for me? Or will my cards come tomorrow? Don't know yet. Supposedly on 1/1/14 we can see the new policy info online and I can print a card if I'm supposed to have my own.

Our previous insurance through DH's pension plan had each of us in our own individual policies so we each had cards with our own name and ID #s.

During December we refilled our prescriptions for the next 90 days and no appointments upcoming until Feb, so we should be fine for a while. I got printed prescriptions from my doctor so I can shop around if our plan's prescription costs are high.
just an update: ACA Covered California.

Applied in Nov. Blue Shield of California Paid, first premium. Dec. 17, credit card over phone.

Wife and 2 children (16 and 20). ID card only has wife's name. she called
and was told children do not get an ID card in their names.

One warning.....that is never discussed.....after you finally get insurance,
YOU STILL HAVE TO PROVIDE PROOF of INCOME....to covered California.

There is a time limit, dead line, that must be observed.

Again, for Covered California, (not sure of other states), even though, in the original application, you provided income verification, you have to do
it over again. (must FAX, MAIL, OR ┌PLOAD, THE INFO, TO COVERED CA).

Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGTVfan View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my first post aside from my introduction. I came out of lurkdom to say thanks to all here who posted problems and solutions with the ACA sign up. Your comments helped me.
I was able to enroll through Healthcare.gov in early December. It took about two weeks to hear from the insurer, Aetna. But I then made my payment and about a week ago received my membership card. I have also been able to register on their website.
So thanks again everyone.
I think we all really helped each other out. This forum was invaluable to me throughout the process, so I am very grateful too!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So I finally received a premium notice from BCBS (New York) as I was expecting. But the bad news is that it is not for the policy I chose through the NY Marketplace Exchange. Instead, it is for a different BCBS policy, one they put me into by default as a replacement for the non-ACA-compliant one I ahd through them since 2011. Earlier today, before I had checked the mail, I tried calling BCBS several times asking about the status of the policy I had signed up for through the NY Exchange, the one I was told twice by phone reps who called me to tell me I was finally in their system after signing up back in early October. But I have no patience for being put on hold for more than 10 minutes so I hung up each time. This leaves me with a premium notice for a policy that I don't want while awaiting a premium notice for a policy I do want.

And I am still trying to figure out why the NY Marketplace wants more documents relating to my income which is all investment income. A few weeks ago, after receiving an email from them asking for some documents, even though I am not seeking the subsidy to be applied to my monthly payment, I had a lengthy online chat with a rep who told me to upload a November monthly statement which included YTD investment income totals. Is this new request simply asking for a complete 2013 investment income total to retain eligibility for the subsidy or do they want something else? I tried calling the NY Marketplace's help number but guess what? I got put on hold for 10 minutes a few times and I hung up. With them, at least, I could leave a callback number so they can call me tomorrow. Then again, I will be out during the day for a few hours so I will probably miss the call.

This is beginning to be annoying, having to fight on two fronts, unable to actually speak to anyone when I call. I guess I could pay the premium notice I received, perhaps for the lower amount due with the policy I want. But who's to say they will apply the payment correctly. BCBS can't seem to get their act together and bill me for what I actually want instead of what they assigned to me by default and without my consent. I need that woman BCBS rep who called me twice a few weeks ago to call me again so I can tell her all the bad things which have happened since then.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #45

I completed signing up with coveredca.com in early December. Then I got the confusing letter than made me think I wasn't covered. I sent in a copy of my 2012 Federal tax return (as requested for income verification) and today spent 80 minutes on hold waiting to verify I was covered. Then since Kaiser had not sent me a payment request, I spent another 30 minutes waiting to make a payment at Kaiser.

I verified, paid and am ready for 1/1/2014 coverage with Kaiser on a new plan. I've had Kaiser for about 11 years, but this new plan will be subsidized.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think we all really helped each other out. This forum was invaluable to me throughout the process, so I am very grateful too!
+1 or more.
Many thanks to all that have helped educate me about the law. Signup was difficult at first, with all the help here, it became easier.

MRG
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

And I am still trying to figure out why the NY Marketplace wants more documents relating to my income which is all investment income. A few weeks ago, after receiving an email from them asking for some documents, even though I am not seeking the subsidy to be applied to my monthly payment, I had a lengthy online chat with a rep who told me to upload a November monthly statement which included YTD investment income totals. Is this new request simply asking for a complete 2013 investment income total to retain eligibility for the subsidy or do they want something else? I tried calling the NY Marketplace's help number but guess what? I got put on hold for 10 minutes a few times and I hung up. With them, at least, I could leave a callback number so they can call me tomorrow. Then again, I will be out during the day for a few hours so I will probably miss the call.
The documents they are requesting are for income verification. Even if you don't want the subsidy and will wait until year end for the credit you still need the verification process.

I would call and not hang up, even after 10 minutes. If you just start paying the renewal policy you lose the option for the tax credit.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The documents they are requesting are for income verification. Even if you don't want the subsidy and will wait until year end for the credit you still need the verification process.

I would call and not hang up, even after 10 minutes. If you just start paying the renewal policy you lose the option for the tax credit.
I understand that the income verification process needs the documents even if I am not claiming the subsidy until the end of the year. That matches what the online rep said.

I called BCBS just now and had to wait nearly an hour to get an agent who was very helpful in telling me how to make my first payment. I can't wait for the year-end Fidelity statement to get to me (so I can upload it to the NY Marketplace) and still meet the Jan 10 deadline for the first payment. The NY Marketplace has a Jan 28 (or Jan 31, I forget which) deadline for more documents so I can't see losing the option for the subsidy simply by making the first payment by Jan 10. I'll have to talk to the NY Marketplace folks about that, assuming they try to call me as they promised.

I still don't know what my 2013 income has to do with the subsidy I will be claiming on my 2014 income tax return in April of 2015. What if my 2013 income puts me out of range of a subsidy but my 2014 income is lower and falls within the range for the subsidy? They won't try to deny my eligibility for a subsidy, will they? And the Fidelity statement's 2013 income is not going to be my 2013 AGI (or 2014 AGI), either.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #49

Quote:
I understand that the income verification process needs the documents even if I am not claiming the subsidy until the end of the year. That matches what the online rep said.

I called BCBS just now and had to wait nearly an hour to get an agent who was very helpful in telling me how to make my first payment. I can't wait for the year-end Fidelity statement to get to me (so I can upload it to the NY Marketplace) and still meet the Jan 10 deadline for the first payment. The NY Marketplace has a Jan 28 (or Jan 31, I forget which) deadline for more documents so I can't see losing the option for the subsidy simply by making the first payment by Jan 10. I'll have to talk to the NY Marketplace folks about that, assuming they try to call me as they promised.

I still don't know what my 2013 income has to do with the subsidy I will be claiming on my 2014 income tax return in April of 2015. What if my 2013 income puts me out of range of a subsidy but my 2014 income is lower and falls within the range for the subsidy? They won't try to deny my eligibility for a subsidy, will they? And the Fidelity statement's 2013 income is not going to be my 2013 AGI (or 2014 AGI), either.
The rules say income must be verified as a prerequisite to subsidy eligibility. For most people with W-2 income that means looking at the 2012 tax return. In your case, they have chosen to look at your actual 2013 investment income. If you feel your 2014 income will be different you must show them why in a way that can be documented.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

We actually had a HC agent come over to our house to go thru the Health Gov. site and enroll. We kept getting kicked into Medicaid and can't figure out how to get out of it since our family income exceeds the Medicaid threshold in Illinois. We talked to a health gov. customer service agent (who, quite candidly, was useless). She kept telling us we need to contact the Medicaid office. We attempted that but you need a Medicaid case no. to actually talk to a human being.

Anyone have any suggestions here? We also note the " Life Change" option in the ACA site was not operational at the time.

In the meantime, we have coverage thru my former employer, but since it is very expensive, I want to exploring enrolling in an ACA plan in early 2014.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The rules say income must be verified as a prerequisite to subsidy eligibility. For most people with W-2 income that means looking at the 2012 tax return. In your case, they have chosen to look at your actual 2013 investment income. If you feel your 2014 income will be different you must show them why in a way that can be documented.
Interesting. I was never asked for a 2012 W-2 (which is helpful in my case because our 2012 income was likely to be more than 3x our expected 2014 income). I was just asked for our current employment and income as we expected it in 2014 and never had a request for any W-2.

As an aside, I noticed this morning that my payment for January's premium has been posted to my account. So I have my card, they have my payment processed, we should be all ready to go.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I was never asked for proof of 2012 W2 or 2013 income. They did ask if either of our incomes had changed. Just a yes, no radio button. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
MRG
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

...I still don't know what my 2013 income has to do with the subsidy I will be claiming on my 2014 income tax return in April of 2015. What if my 2013 income puts me out of range of a subsidy but my 2014 income is lower and falls within the range for the subsidy? They won't try to deny my eligibility for a subsidy, will they? And the Fidelity statement's 2013 income is not going to be my 2013 AGI (or 2014 AGI), either.

It doesn't make any sense to me either.

The list of documents they would accept from me as "proof" of something that hasn't happened yet was lengthy and most of them didn't even exist for my situation. I sent them a copy of my Vanguard IRA statement which will be sufficient, by itself, to prove that I will have no income, too much income, something else, or none of those. The system seems to be satisfied with that.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #54

Here in Florida, application complete, no call/invoice/email from BCBSFL, called today...expected wait time: 1:23:00-1:53:00 (that's right, expect an 1 1/2 hour wait)...and it appears there is no way to do this via web, yep, we're back in the 80s technology. Arrrgggg
Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Interesting. I was never asked for a 2012 W-2 (which is helpful in my case because our 2012 income was likely to be more than 3x our expected 2014 income). I was just asked for our current employment and income as we expected it in 2014 and never had a request for any W-2.

As an aside, I noticed this morning that my payment for January's premium has been posted to my account. So I have my card, they have my payment processed, we should be all ready to go.

Don't assume you are "we should be all ready to go". As mentioned in an earlier post, even though you have paid your first premium, and are covered as of Jan 1st, you still have to provide income verification.

In, Calif, the term they use is, "now you have provisional insurance"...which you will lose, unless you provide more detailed income verification. (ie. mail, fax, upload). by a certain date.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Our timelines are similar, but I chose Anthem and sit here insurance-cardless, uncharged despite credit card payment, and un-Welcomed.
Same boat here.

We paid by check on Nov 5 (with proof of delivery) -- it hasn't been cashed yet.

In December, I paid it AGAIN with credit card (belt and suspenders), and got an email acknowledging that I'd submitted payment, but the card hasn't been charged yet.

When I call, they say they are going to process the payments at the end of the month.

This doesn't make any sense. By not processing the payments, they are wasting the interested they'd receive. If checks bounce, that will be a mess.

My guess is that there is some government regulation saying they can't get the money ahead of time?

I've also mailed, uploaded, AND faxed Lena's proof of citizenship to coveredca, but that hasn't been taken care of.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
In, Calif, the term they use is, "now you have provisional insurance"...which you will lose, unless you provide more detailed income verification. (ie. mail, fax, upload). by a certain date.
Is a copy of the tax return sufficient proof?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I didn't go on a bike ride today, because crashing today could cost thousands -- crashing tomorrow would be much cheaper.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Don't assume you are "we should be all ready to go". As mentioned in an earlier post, even though you have paid your first premium, and are covered as of Jan 1st, you still have to provide income verification.
I said *should* be ready to go.

Worst case it only means they'd say I can't get an upfront subsidy because of 2012 income. I'm still covered. Worst case, they say I'm not eligible for assistance with the premiums because of 2012 income, but I'll get the tax credit when I file my tax return in early 2015 based on actual 2014 income. Not ideal, but not a showstopper or deal breaker.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Here in Florida, application complete, no call/invoice/email from BCBSFL, called today...expected wait time: 1:23:00-1:53:00 (that's right, expect an 1 1/2 hour wait)...and it appears there is no way to do this via web, yep, we're back in the 80s technology. Arrrgggg
Try bringing this up on social media. I did this with BCBSTX and they asked me to send them a PM with my phone number, and the next day I had an escalations/accounts specialist who gave me her direct number to work with (i.e. no waiting an hour or more on hold, either I got her immediately or I left a message and she'd call back). Made a big difference in my case, IMO.