Join Early Retirement Today

Anthem Phone # I Have Used
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anthem Phone # I Have Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
After one hour on hold (the rep told me it had been four hours recently), I was told that we are indeed signed up. Our account number is the same as it used to be, except the the character prefix will be different and can't be determined yet.

He said that the payment processing is just held up, since "over a million people" are signing up.
I guess we still have to hide out at home, eh, Al? No venturing forth w/o our insurance cards....

I wonder what phone number people are calling to have these very long holds. I have never had a hold like that with Anthem. Once I've gotten through various menu choices, I think I've been on hold not longer than a few minutes.

I've been calling this number:

1-800-333-0912.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my new, correct ACA insurance card in the mail today from Blue Cross. It's a post-Festivus miracle! I'm still waiting for them to re-deposit into my checking account the money they improperly took from it, however.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I used my bcbskc card today, was accepted, still won't trust it till I see an EOB.

Meanwhile the folks at healthcare.gov continue to robo-call us. They need information for the phone app from around October 15.
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #104

Not only has my first payment cleared my bank, but, today, I received my bill for FEBRUARY!

I'm so proud.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #105

My new insurance card worked just fine at the podiatrist today. The receptionist said he's seen a bunch of them today.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

So the world didn't end? (Sorry, couldn't resist, )
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #107

Weirdly, I saw the same doctor that I saw last August.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Weirdly, I saw the same doctor that I saw last August.
I admit, I've run across too many recent headlines warning about a huge rush of people running out to get healthcare on Jan 1, OMG!, so I've gotten a bit cynical.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #109
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was successful after some serious sleepless nights over snaffus, that would have always worked themselfs out, but I just didn't know...Clocked many,many hours on phone with ACA and Anthem/Blue Cross (live in Virginia)...but,yes, I have a policy number. No real, physical card yet, as even though I paid via phone to Anthem 3 weekS ago(whoa did it take me a long time to get through!) apparently that payment didn't go through, even though an email from them said it did. A call I made to them, a few days ago,also said i had paid (though no debit to my account), then today in the mail a letter,saying i had insurance, but they hadn't received payment. Soooooo, went online, and paid (again). We'll see if it goes through. But I have a Policy Number and a policy...and records of me trying to pay it. so I am OK(ish)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #110
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I guess we still have to hide out at home, eh, Al? No venturing forth w/o our insurance cards....

I wonder what phone number people are calling to have these very long holds. I have never had a hold like that with Anthem. Once I've gotten through various menu choices, I think I've been on hold not longer than a few minutes.

I've been calling this number:

1-800-333-0912.
I was on hold for hours with Anthem,for Virginia..The number you cited isn't the one I had..I'll try your number if I need to call them again!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2retireearly View Post
I was on hold for hours with Anthem,for Virginia..The number you cited isn't the one I had..I'll try your number if I need to call them again!
I think this may be just a number for Covered CA, based on some of the menu choices I heard. Sorry I didn't make that more clear.

I have called this number at least 3 times, and each time I have been assured that my payment is 'in the system' although I still haven't been charged and haven't received our cards.

This week I have received 2 letters from Anthem, though: one is trying to sell me some insurance and the other is the 3rd letter telling I'm signed up but haven't paid. At least today's letter has the right application # on it, and it is dated Dec. 12, which is the day I called and got log in info to pay online.

I suppose I could in again and try to pay again, just for kicks. If nothing else, I will have paid in advance for February.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #112
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I think this may be just a number for Covered CA, based on some of the menu choices I heard. Sorry I didn't make that more clear.

I have called this number at least 3 times, and each time I have been assured that my payment is 'in the system' although I still haven't been charged and haven't received our cards.

This week I have received 2 letters from Anthem, though: one is trying to sell me some insurance and the other is the 3rd letter telling I'm signed up but haven't paid. At least today's letter has the right application # on it, and it is dated Dec. 12, which is the day I called and got log in info to pay online.

I suppose I could in again and try to pay again, just for kicks. If nothing else, I will have paid in advance for February.
Hi, I got that same letter...as I DID pay 3 weeks ago,but apparently, it never made it to my credit card...calling them a few days ago,they said don't worry about it, it 'showed I paid'. But when I got this letter today, I went ahead, and 'paid again'. Did it online, so didn't have to go through the Anthem for Virginia Hold torture again. Now, I need to see if it actually gets credited to them this time.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did a quick internet search on that Anthem number 800-333-0912 and it came up as a California customer service number. Won't do me much good in NY.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So the world didn't end? (Sorry, couldn't resist, )

+1

Living in a blood red state I sure have had to listen to it.

One of the stupidest encounters I recently had involved the following conversation. They asked how I could be willing to enter personal info on a government site. I asked what personal info they were referring to. they said address and SSN. Once I quit laughing in their face I explained that since I file a tax return every year among many other reasons the government already had my address. I also told them that since the government assigned me my SSN I figured they already knew it too!

They responded they had not thought about that and had just heard a report on a certain 24hr news channel about the security risk.

The really bad part is that person is quite wealthy, has a college degree, and is a CFP. I certainly will not be using their service.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
+1

One of the stupidest encounters I recently had involved the following conversation. They asked how I could be willing to enter personal info on a government site. I asked what personal info they were referring to. they said address and SSN. Once I quit laughing in their face I explained that since I file a tax return every year among many other reasons the government already had my address. I also told them that since the government assigned me my SSN I figured they already knew it.
But I'm sure they understood that if you have make $45K, have a family of four and get a break on the cost of your insurance from the gov't indirectly through your employer, that's gooood, but if you make $45K, have a family of four and get a break on the cost directly from the government because you're self employed, that's baaaad.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
+1

One of the stupidest encounters I recently had involved the following conversation. They asked how I could be willing to enter personal info on a government site. I asked what personal info they were referring to. they said address and SSN. Once I quit laughing in their face I explained that since I file a tax return every year among many other reasons the government already had my address. I also told them that since the government assigned me my SSN I figured they already knew it too!

They responded they had not thought about that and had just heard a report on a certain 24hr news channel about the security risk.

The really bad part is that person is quite wealthy, has a college degree, and is a CFP. I certainly will not be using their service.
In fairness - the report security concern probably wasn't so much about the govt having that info, but about other entities being able to hack the govt site and get sensitive info. But yes, folks do seem to conflate those issues.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #117
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm not 100% certain but I think the answer is "no". The income verification is for premium assistance, for applying the tax credit on a monthly basis against the premiums. If you don't verify income, you wouldn't be eligible for a subsidy during the year but you should be able to claim the tax credit in early 2015 off of your 2014 tax return if your MAGI qualifies you for it.
I agree this is the "sensible" interpretation of my issue. But the online rep said that to even be eligible for a year-end subsidy I had to supply some income verification. Calling the NY Marketplace number is useless. Earlier this week I left a callback number but they never called. (They MIGHT have called one morning when I was in the bathroom and just missed picking up the phone before the machine took it.) Subsequent attempts to call them leave me on hold for too long. I wanted to leave another callback number so they could try it again but that option never appeared in the phone system again .

I just uploaded the December 2013 statement which includes year-end income in it. I had an income spike in December which probably puts my 2013 income out of range but remember it will be my 2014 income which determines my eligibility for a subsidy via that year's income tax return I will file in about 15 months from now.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Scrabbler1,

Our magi number will have dropped to 20% of what it was in 2012 for 2014. I got accepted on the fed. site with a checkbox 'Yes our income changed'.

Frankly it seemed too easy, projecting 2014 from numbers that are 2 years old, while circumstances have changed. Seems like you're having to predict something that's unpredictable. In the end we sign a statement of 'under penalty or fine of...or....'. Seems like the wording of my tax statement.

Sorry to hear of folks that are still fighting the 'systems'.

Best wishes,
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I agree this is the "sensible" interpretation of my issue. But the online rep said that to even be eligible for a year-end subsidy I had to supply some income verification.
Right. But your 2014 tax return *will* be that income verification, so worst case, if your 2014 income qualifies you, you can get the tax credit when you file early next year.

I just got a followup call from my BCBSTX contact today. She was just calling to confirm that all was well, as she saw my account properly enrolled, linked to their billing system and was paid. I'll probably need to write a very nice letter (if I know where to send it) to her superiors to thank her for her diligence in getting through this for me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Here is our latest plot twist. Anthem sent a letter in October 2013 telling us our policy at that time was non ACA compliant, was nonrenewable, and was being cancelled as of December 31st, 2013. They said we needed to purchase a different policy either through them or the exchange starting January 1, 2014. We did as they advised and purchased a new policy with Blue Shield.

Last week we had a letter delivered to our mailbox on January 4th, dated December 31st, from Anthem stating our old policy was being extended through March, 2014 after all, and if we wanted to cancel it we had to let them know in writing by January 1, 2014, four days into the past, or else we would be obligated for the January payment, (over $2K!).

I am glad I saved the October, 2013 letter from Anthem telling us our old policy was being canceled and was nonrenewable as of December 31st, 2013. I will have to call on Monday to sort it out so they don't try to charge us for an extra month's premium.

Also, here is another heads up - Blue Shield billed us for 3 months in December for our new ACA policy, then backed out 2 of those months on our credit card, without us asking for that to happen or telling us they were going to do that. The February bill showed us paid up through March. If I had not looked at the charge activity online, we would not have known to make another premium payment for February payment. If you are paying by credit card for an exchange policy you might want to keep a close eye on your card activity to look for overcharges or possibly unexpected / unwanted refunds.