Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 on avoidance of caffeine after noon and avoiding exciting/controversial TV just before bed. Too much computer time also can make falling asleep tougher.
OTOH- I find listening to low-key, soothing music and a nice chamomile tea with a light snack helps me drift off.
Exercise after dinner is a 2-edged sword for me. It usu tends to keep me awake...... unless its a long near-exhaustion sufferfest like those late summer eve 'rip-yer-legs-off' training rides with young racer types from local cycling club. Then I almost fall asleep on the way home
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #42

I used to listen to this audio (and of course follow the instructions). I still practice this, but don't really use the audio any more. Most of the time when I listen at night, I don't make it to the end of the recording. Or if I do, I roll over an nod off quickly.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I used to listen to this audio (and of course follow the instructions). I still practice this, but don't really use the audio any more. Most of the time when I listen at night, I don't make it to the end of the recording. Or if I do, I roll over an nod off quickly.
Very similar to what I use for self hypnosis. Different words but same basic principles.

As an aside when our Malteese was a puppy, he was they most hyperactive pup we've had. Deceided one day to try this technique on him as DW held him. Didn't do much for the dog, DW always went out, had a nice nap! Vet told me dogs don't have the part of the brain that responds to hypnosis/meditation.
Thanks,
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, Happy2retired and Mpierce. I just downloaded EA Scrabble ( free version). I too like to play Scrabble though I am more addicted to Candy Crush.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #45

Words with Friends--and if you know your friends' WWF user names, you can play them without going through Facebook.
Try going outdoors in the morning
Old 02-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #46

Try going outdoors in the morning

Early morning sun exposure triggers melatonin production. If you have chronic trouble sleeping, try to make a habit of going outside for 10 minutes or so as early in the morning (once the sun is up) as you can. Some people are exquisitely sensitive to the exposure. Also, some people are "slow metabolizers" of caffeine. Little or no caffeine for those people can really improve sleep. Daily exercise doesn't hurt either. I usually stagger outside in the morning and ride an exercise bike for 30 minutes. When my joints were younger, a morning dog walk did the same trick.

I find that if I wake up at night and start reading, I'll stay awake for hours. If, however, I resist the urge, I'll go right back to sleep, as long as I've been careful about all of the above. I got my results back from 23 and me today and found that I was officially a slow metabolizer of caffeine. Yep, that one was already obvious.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #47

I am having one of those nights right now. It's 2:25am and I am wide awake after trying to sleep for the past hour or so. I finally gave up and got up.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Some of the responses above are my experiences too. I usually have some physical symptom that prevents sleep.

Trouble getting to sleep
1. Too active a mind. Solution is not to drink coffee in afternoon and not to do active things like spreadsheets after maybe 5PM. Also I've noticed that combining caffeine with mind activities can really get me too excited for bedtime.
2. Cold feet. On cold winter nights where my feet get exposed before bed I seem to not drift off. Solution is to wear socks to bed and pull them off after awhile.
3. Jumpy legs. Seems to happen occasionally. Solution for me is to scrunch up into a fetal position for a few minutes which seems to turn off the nerves. I tell DW not to worry about me when I do this. But she's usually asleep by then.

Trouble in middle of night
1. Stuffy nose from allergies. Sometimes (but rarely) I use Afrin if it's really bad or maybe after 4am. Many nights I get up at midnight and take one Benedryl. Works great and no side effects for me. One's nose can be just slightly stuffed up and it still can affect sleep.
2. Too hot in middle of night. Reduced bedtime clothing. Get out of bed and cool down a lot. In extreme cases drink a cool glass of water or milk.

Well maybe some of the above will help someone here. I've read that one does not always need 8 hours sleep. Sometimes a good 5 hours is all you really need. Probably very individually dependent.

Happy sleeping to all.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #49

About TV and computer work before bed...I have read that the light levels from those devices may disrupt your melatonin levels. Certain wavelengths of light affect sleep rhythms.

An excerpt from Wikipedia alludes to this:

Light dependence

Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light to the retina and permitted by darkness. Its onset each evening is called the dim-light melatonin onset (DLMO).
It is principally blue light, around 460 to 480 nm, that suppresses melatonin,[36] proportional to the light intensity and length of exposure. Until recent history, humans in temperate climates were exposed to few hours of (blue) daylight in the winter; their fires gave predominantly yellow light. The incandescent light bulb widely used in the twentieth century produced relatively little blue light.[37] Wearing glasses that block blue light in the hours before bedtime may decrease melatonin loss. Kayumov et al. showed that light containing only wavelengths greater than 530 nm does not suppress melatonin in bright-light conditions.[38] Use of blue-blocking goggles the last hours before bedtime has also been advised for people who need to adjust to an earlier bedtime, as melatonin promotes sleepiness.[39]
When used several hours before sleep according to the phase response curve for melatonin in humans, small amounts (0.3 mg[40]) of melatonin shift the circadian clock earlier, thus promoting earlier sleep onset and morning awakening.[41]

Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
About TV and computer work before bed...I have read that the light levels from those devices may disrupt your melatonin levels. Certain wavelengths of light affect sleep rhythms.
Needless to say, "There's an app for that!"

f.lux: software to make your life better
Quote:
... it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Thank you for posting this! I occasionally have difficulty falling asleep, and even more difficulty going back to sleep if I awaken in the middle of the night.

After three minutes of listening to this guy, I was almost unconscious. There is NO WAY I will ever make it through the entire 45 minutes.

Thanks for an effective, non-chemical sleep aid.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Needless to say, "There's an app for that!"

f.lux: software to make your life better
Wow...I did not know there was a way to fix that! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #53

I took a short holiday (4 nights, 5 days) and slept like a baby every night. Now that I am back home, I hope I can still continue my sleep mode and not have those sleepless weeks again. I note that during my holiday, I did not have to think and plan on activities the next day. Keeping my fingers crossed that my good sleep days can stay for some time. Otherwise, I'll be using all the tips given in this thread.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I have EA Scrabble, it appears to be the original Hasbro game from the App Store. It has the little banker guy logo. It looks like there is a free version and one that costs $9.99. I can't remember if I paid or not..but I'm guessing I did. I love playing it - very addictive. I play against the computer. You'd can also pass the iPad around and play with others. You can play with others across the web too but that's not my cup of tea. There are 3 levels of difficulty and more than one dictionary to use. Is there a way for me to tell if I have the paid version? It didn't tell much when I looked at the "about" page.
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

Thank you for posting this! I occasionally have difficulty falling asleep, and even more difficulty going back to sleep if I awaken in the middle of the night.

After three minutes of listening to this guy, I was almost unconscious. There is NO WAY I will ever make it through the entire 45 minutes.

Thanks for an effective, non-chemical sleep aid.
Copied to all my devices. Better than ambien.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I'll try this. I'm not sure it will help since I am used to meditation, but it's worth a try - thanks.

When I "copy" on an iTouch, I get the URL. Is there a way to get the raw mp3?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
After three minutes of listening to this guy, I was almost unconscious.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Copied to all my devices. Better than ambien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'm not an "i-anything" person, but could you pull it up on your computer and email it to yourself?

This audio goes with this book, by the way.

It's great, at the beginning he says "it's best if you can manage to stay awake"... he KNOWS it's not easy!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm not an "i-anything" person, but could you pull it up on your computer and email it to yourself?

It's great, at the beginning he says "it's best if you can manage to stay awake"... he KNOWS it's not easy!

I can sure try and will. I am rarely at a "real" computer anymore but it's tax time! In the meantime, it's bookmarked on the i-thing Thanks!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'll try this. I'm not sure it will help since I am used to meditation, but it's worth a try - thanks.

So many devices out there. When I quote the post with the link, I get the text of the URL in my Android phone. When I went to the link on my nexus tablet, it downloads the mp3, and also plays the file. You should get a download. If you don't, try to copy the post and email it.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #60

""what-activities-do-you-do-during-sleepless-nights""

Just the usual last night. Woke up in a cold sweat at 5 am and lay there for 2 hours mentally recounting every financial, business and personal mistake I've made for the last 10 years... you know, for kicks. (

man i hate insomnia.