Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's a recent Lustig video with nice slides, etc.

Al,
I just listened to the whole speech. Excellent. I have also heard that the movie, "Farmageddon" is good as well explaining what is happening to the local, whole food movement. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to.

Thanks Al.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

You can always blame your mother for Type 2 diabetes:

Quote:
Expectant mothers who starved during their final trimester as a result of the Dutch famine of 1944-45 were more likely to have babies who later developed Type 2 diabetes. And the children of obese mothers also are at high risk of Type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
and

Quote:
....most pancreatic beta cells — they produce the insulin that regulates blood sugar — are produced during fetal life, said Dr. Susan Ozanne, a British Heart Foundation senior fellow at the University of Cambridge. If the environment in the womb is suboptimal, as when a mother isn't getting enough protein to the fetus, the baby can wind up with fewer beta cells.
Pregnancy: How prenatal life may shape adult health - chicagotribune.com
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's a recent Lustig video with nice slides, etc.

Al, thank you for this. I have been avoiding high fructose corn syrup for a few years now, and now this lecture confirms the addictive nature of high frutose corn syrup that I was experiencing. I used to like Wishbone Italian Dressing, but I could feel this strange craving for it (as well as it increased my appetite once I started eating it); same with Prego spaghetti sauce. I quit eating both a few years ago, and recently, I realized Wishbone Italian didn't contain fructose anymore, so I bought it again. I still like it, but it just doesn't have quite the same appeal taste-wise as it did before.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Al, thank you for this. I have been avoiding high fructose corn syrup for a few years now, and now this lecture confirms the addictive nature of high frutose corn syrup that I was experiencing. I used to like Wishbone Italian Dressing, but I could feel this strange craving for it (as well as it increased my appetite once I started eating it); same with Prego spaghetti sauce. I quit eating both a few years ago, and recently, I realized Wishbone Italian didn't contain fructose anymore, so I bought it again. I still like it, but it just doesn't have quite the same appeal taste-wise as it did before.
Don't forget that simple table sugar, or sucrose, is approximately 1/2 fructose. To simplify, avoid sugar, wherever it is found.

Ha
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Another POV...

A retrospective of the fructose alarmism debate. | Alan Aragon's Blog

Quote:
“an increase in sedentary occupations; an increase in two-income households and single-parent households; transportation and infrastructure changes that discourage physical activity; a decrease in PE classes and extracurricular sports programs in schools; an increase in sedentary forms of entertainment (i.e. TV/movie viewing, video games, internet, etc.); demographic changes (i.e. aging population, immigration, etc.); a decrease in food costs with increase in food availability and changes in food consumption patterns”

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Concerning Alan Aragon's arguments, they boil down to HFC isn't any worse than sucrose, which is most likely true; however, fructose is still bad, and you should avoid it where possible.
rgarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
Concerning Alan Aragon's arguments, they boil down to HFCS isn't any worse than sucrose, which is most likely true; however, fructose is still bad, and you should avoid it where possible.
Yes, Lustig agrees with this, noting that within seconds of the sucrose hitting the stomach, the bond between the glucose and fructose is broken. Since most HFCS is around 50% fructose, they are nutritionally very close.

OTOH, because HFCS is cheaper and easier to transport, it finds its way into more foods.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote