Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the problems of diminished capacity, is the Rumsfeld point about "knowing what you know" etc. .
This is tougher than it may seem. Alzheimers is often accompanied by personality changes that range from passivity, to persistent agitation, to
paranoia and aggression... and there may be no prior indication of these symptoms.
I am not convinced that even in early stages, that introspection can identify these predilections. Trying to plan for ones' own walk down the path is difficult.

One of the suggestions, made here on many occasions, is to obtain early diagnosis. Well meaning, to be sure, but not as easy as it sounds. There are many, many downsides to obtaining a diagnosis... either a private diagnosis or a legal diagnosis. While the progress in treatment is advancing, it is very slow, and even the most optimistic results show marginal improvement, short term, while long terms results are even less effective. Very tough call!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some time ago, I read about a couple, or was it just one person, who left the home to a non-related care giver in exchange for the help when they were alive. Sounded reasonable to me, but that must be a long-time care provider that they knew and trusted.

It's tough, even for people who have children to rely on. I have heard of elderlies who were practically robbed by their offsprings, and I am sure you all have too.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Elder abuse is a worry. We will all be vulnerable, some more than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_abuse
Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #44

I was going to make a comment along the same lines. Thank you, Meadbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Elder abuse is a worry. We will all be vulnerable, some more than others.

Elder abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #45

I hope I do not live so long that I will need to worry about it. Perhaps I can turn my pacemaker off somehow......
Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

the key word is trust.......who do you trust to tell you it's time to turn over the keys to your car or your finacial affairs to another. Find someone you trust and tell yourself every day you'll listen to them when they tell you it's time. I feel myself slowing down mentally, no one else sees it yet.......but they will and I'll be ready. I hope! And, some get dementia in middle age, others in their 80's and 90's. No one knows ahead of time......and some remain in denial, making life miserable for themselves and their family.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

When the circumstances of cognitive impairment warrant it, and depending on among other things family dynamics, drafting of a Power of Attorney or appointing of a Conservator of Estate is often a good idea. The former usually occurs with a functional family where, for example a child can act on behalf of the impaired individual. The POA implies that they will act as the cognitively impaired person would do if they had the ability to make the financial decision. The latter usually occurs when the cognitively impaired person has no family or trusted person to turn to or when the family is dysfunctional.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I know of two cases where this is going on. People in denial can get really nasty, and cause a lot of harm. They refuse to see a doctor or give up anything (including driving), can't remember a thing they said an hour ago or that was said to them, get mean and accusatory when they're shown written evidence of what was said or done, and generally drive everyone around them nuts. I imagine some cases of "elder abuse" are caused by caregivers being driven over the edge.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
t....and some remain in denial, making life miserable for themselves and their family.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Ay, ay, ay! The curse of living too long. Not that I can pick my fate, but a quick stroke or heart attack would be something I wish for myself.

Now, where's that bottle of eau de vie I bought in Idaho. What is the price of a pack of cigarettes now? I have not bought one in a decade.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I 'm in the same boat but I only have one competent niece, and I am sure she will have her hands full taking care of my older sister who's health is already starting to fail. My executor is sharp lawyer my age, but I doubt he'll be in much better shape by the time we are in our 70s.
There are couple of young dreamers on the forum who've impressed me enough that I might be comfortable giving them control and even willing to pay 1% but that seems unlikely to actually occur.
I think probably some managed payouts funds and pray I don't get Alzheimer are my best bets.
We can take care of each other. If we can remember who each other is...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
A cautionary tale
Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

A cautionary tale

I think this link may have been posted on this board once before.

This is what can happen when one is on one's own. This was in a far place, but it could happen anywhere.

Dale Marsh, born 1935, died one month after this entry, in Sept, 2011, age 76 (if my maths are correct), having lived alone at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala for 10 years.

Dale Marsh Retired Expat In Panajachel Guatemala Becomes Senile - Retirement

What would I do differently? I wonder.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote