Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We buy a 3 kg bottle from Costco - Can't remember how much we paid for it, but yep, I got a lot of honey.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my long runs get up over 1.5 hours, my favorite recovery drink is chocolate milk. It seems to have the right balance of carbs/fats/protein to perk me up. Or maybe I just like the taste.

I buy the case of ultra-pasteurized single-serve cartons at Costco. I only do long runs every 10-15 days so if I bought a carton of chocolate milk it would go sour in between.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #23

Back when I raced enduro motorcycle races, I'd carb up the night before with pasta. Day of the race, which last several hours, I'd tape frosting packets to my handlebars pre-torn open. When I needed a burst of energy, I'd grab one, suck it dry and toss it. The frosting, mostly sugar, gave me a quick energy burst. Your body processes sugar easy.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #24

I don't like sugary drinks either, and prefer something like this:

https://nuun.com/blog/electrolytes-hydration/

You can make your own with some diluted fruit juice, salt, Nu-Salt (potassium), magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) or chloride, and crushed up calcium tabs. Not crazy about the baking soda in there, the taste is not so good.

I had a fatigue issue for several years, but it went away shortly after I switched from calcium+D supplements to calcium+magnesium+D supplements. Maybe just coincidental, but that's that the only dietary change I recall making.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #25

From my marathon running days, before the race was limited to bananas, oranges, toast or bagels.
During race only bananas, oranges, and diluted sports drink. At any water stop would take a cup of water, cup of sports drink, dump together and chug. Can't take sports drinks while exercising it would upset my stomach.
Anything more solid would bring me to a stop.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't handle much sweetness when I'm working out, so I've become a fan of savory bars like Tanka, nut and seed bars (Clif Bars makes one), and other similar items. Something that includes both carbs and protein. Kind bars have a new savory line that I'd love to try but I can't because they contain hemp seeds. If I was retired I'd buy one and eat it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me, it's milk (in a thermos to keep it cold) and cereal or cereal bar most of the time.

Occasionally, I will do some kind of home made trail mix, mostly raisins and almonds.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I tried water, honey and lemon juice and that didn't cut it. I think it goes through me way too quickly. I had a banana and that lasted a little longer, but still not as good. I think I would have been OK if I added peanut butter to the banana though since granola bars with nuts definitely work, but I just don't enjoy stuff like that. (I really need to experiment making my own. I bought parchment paper so I could try something, but I want something other than gooey, sticky honey for a sweetner.) For now, I got whey protein powder, so I could add that to water and lemon/honey and then put some extra virgin olive oil to it to slow down the absorption? (gulp....)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #29

If I were making new year's resolutions--which I'm not--it would be to stop talking to people about diet and exercise. It becomes oppressive: no matter what I tell them, they never do it anyway. For decades, people have asked me for advice on either diet or exercise or both, only to go back to what they were doing. I've found when it comes to this subject most are all talk and no action, not long term anyway.

Here's a key reason why:

How Did Americans Get So Fat, In Seven Charts | Zero Hedge
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess I'm kind of old school low-tech. For long mountain bike rides or baseball doubleheaders, bananas and Fig Newtons are about all I can stomach. I tend not to want to eat when I'm exercising (especially baseball when there's a certain amount of nervousness), but those always work for me. Sometimes Clif Bars or something like that, and on really hot days Gatorade or Powerade so that I'll drink enough.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Homemade energy bites. This date-lime-coconut recipe is one of my favorites: http://paleogrubs.com/lime-energy-bite-recipe

Sent from my SM-T710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
If I were making new year's resolutions--which I'm not--it would be to stop talking to people about diet and exercise. It becomes oppressive: no matter what I tell them, they never do it anyway. For decades, people have asked me for advice on either diet or exercise or both, only to go back to what they were doing. I've found when it comes to this subject most are all talk and no action, not long term anyway.

Here's a key reason why:

How Did Americans Get So Fat, In Seven Charts | Zero Hedge
Not sure what your point is pertaining to this thread. The OP is already doing the strenuous exercise, and is just looking for ideas that might work for her for energy during the activity. That's a real personal thing as to what one can actually handle. I know that there are a lot of foods and even drinks that will unsettle my stomach while running, so if someone is upset that I'm not following their advice on nutrition, that's their problem.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
Homemade energy bites. This date-lime-coconut recipe is one of my favorites: Coconut Lime Energy Bites | Paleo Grubs

And speaking of energy bites (balls).....

Oct 4, 2015 - Uploaded by Donal Skehan
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Not sure what your point is pertaining to this thread. The OP is already doing the strenuous exercise, and is just looking for ideas that might work for her for energy during the activity. That's a real personal thing as to what one can actually handle. I know that there are a lot of foods and even drinks that will unsettle my stomach while running, so if someone is upset that I'm not following their advice on nutrition, that's their problem.
Everyone's body is different (the Weider Principle), so asking for advice on nutrition is tricky. It might work for you and it might not. Joe Weider advocated experimenting with any exercise/diet regimen until you find what is exactly right for your own individual body. I've found most people are unwilling to do this, as it takes work, commitment, and persistence.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
What do you eat during strenuous exercises
Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you eat during strenuous exercises

My wife likes to use sport bean jelly beans on her long runs and races. I would always mix up Cytomax drink for my long hard bike rides, it really kept the lactic acid from building up in my legs. I would eat energy bars, cliff bar etc, but you need to experience with them because some are very difficult on your digestive system. Thats why my wife like the Sport Beans, quick boost without stomach issues.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
twolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Everyone's body is different (the Weider Principle), so asking for advice on nutrition is tricky. It might work for you and it might not. Joe Weider advocated experimenting with any exercise/diet regimen until you find what is exactly right for your own individual body. I've found most people are unwilling to do this, as it takes work, commitment, and persistence.
Hi Options, like Runningbum said, I am not trying to come up with any exercise regimen. I play volleyball like some people play golf, or garden, or listen to music. It's what I love to do, and I am happy that I have time to play more now since I no longer w*rk. (I started playing volleyball when I was in junior high (well, I played in the elementary school too, but with my mom and some friends just doing passes and such without the court/net - I had wanted to become a volleyball player since I was in my 3rd grade.) and throughout my adult life playing in local leagues.) It's true - it's a plus that I don't have to go to the gym and get on the treadmill (BORING!) or whatever because of this.

I was asking around to see what people ate during strenuous exercises because my body craves calories (my very first post on the thread explains the details) in the middle of my volleyball sessions, and I haven't found tasty/lasting foods. There are some great suggestions and snack idea sharing going on here and I am starting to experiment.

Some people said honey and then someone said protein powder and some others said nuts and... Anyway, I made a shake today with protein powder, some honey and some peanut butter and it is sooo very tasty! I think this can work. It does last longer than honey and lemon water for sure. I do want some varieties so I will experiment more.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
Homemade energy bites. This date-lime-coconut recipe is one of my favorites: Coconut Lime Energy Bites | Paleo Grubs

Yum!! These look so delicious! And quite portable (not too sticky)! Gotta try something like this.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
And speaking of energy bites (balls).....

Oct 4, 2015 - Uploaded by Donal Skehan
Meadbh,

Lovely balls!! LOL! I am going to check them out - The recipes look a bit more complicated so I may modify some, but Meadbh, are you the one who once posted a chickpea based burger recipe by the same guy? (I remember him!) I printed out the recipe from his website and made the burgers and they were very, very good, and my DH loved them too, so thank you! I made them several times and then forgot about it. (We were on the bean burger kick for a while, and transitioned to fish cakes for some reason) I should make them again.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Meadbh,

Lovely balls!! LOL! I am going to check them out - The recipes look a bit more complicated so I may modify some, but Meadbh, are you the one who once posted a chickpea based burger recipe by the same guy? (I remember him!) I printed out the recipe from his website and made the burgers and they were very, very good, and my DH loved them too, so thank you! I made them several times and then forgot about it. (We were on the bean burger kick for a while, and transitioned to fish cakes for some reason) I should make them again.
Yes, I posted the chickpea recipe. Everything I've made from Donal Skehan's recipes is delicious, and I enjoy his humor, which may have something to do with the fact that we are both Irish, so I subscribe to his YouTube feed.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes, I posted the chickpea recipe. Everything I've made from Donal Skehan's recipes is delicious, and I enjoy his humor, which may have something to do with the fact that we are both Irish, so I subscribe to his YouTube feed.
Yes, he is funny and quite charming.