Join Early Retirement Today

What do you eat during strenuous exercises
Old 01-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What do you eat during strenuous exercises

I am an avid indoor volleyball player. I am no longer w*rking, so I have been playing volleyball Monday, Wednesday and Friday and each session lasts for about 1.5 to 2.5 hours, and sometimes, without much break except for very short bathroom breaks. I am too short to block (I am female and the coed volleyball uses men's net height), so my energy usage is definitely lower than guys who are tall enough to block, but still, it is a lot of workout - I think it is a bit like low intensity interval training.

Anyway, usually one hour into it, I start feeling drained (I do eat about an hour before the play), and some of the time I get a slight blurry vision - both of which I found goes away if I eat some carbs. (I was branded as a prediabetic a few years ago, although my numbers got better when I started exercising a little. I am not really overweight except around my tummy 5'5 128lbs) I eat carbs (sugary stuff, rice, pasta, etc) and have no problem with my blood sugar (no spikes or my numbers going too low) during playing volleyball, or after playing volleyball (up to a whole day or maybe even more depending upon how hard I have played.) I don't do well with starchy food at other times so I *try* to restrict my starchy food intake when I am not exercising as much.

Anyway, I started eating granola bars while playing and that totally takes care of the tired/blurry eye problem while playing, but I don't enjoy those bars at all (They are so yucky sweet). I have tried bananas and they seem to work as well too (and I enjoy the taste) although it gives me a slight stomach discomfort some of the time. I see some players drinking sugary drinks with electrolytes like Gatorade, but I don't think I would like to drink something like that at all. (I do not consume sugary drinks at all.)

What do you eat?

I just love being able to play my favorite sport so often now, which I couldn't have possibly done when I was working since it takes a lot out of me and I need time to recuperate (The maximum I've done when I was working was 2 nights of league volleyball per week and that was when I was in my early 40's. I might have been able to do more but I needed time to come down from the high and I usually ended up not being able to go to sleep until very late after playing volleyball) I cannot believe I have actually improved a bit at this age (accuracy and reaction time)- Reaction time doesn't seem to correlate with age, or just doing it every other day keeps my reaction time more sharpened or something?

OK, I am rambling now.

Anyway, would you share what you eat? Thank you!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Bananas were my first thought, as were sports drinks. If you don't like how sugary Gatorade and Powerade are, you could try one of these:

Hydration Drink Mix

If I had to suggest one I would probably pick Tailwind. I use Perpeteum myself but that is more for ultra running, as it's slower release over more time. Heed is good but some people call it Heave because of how it tastes and what it does to their stomach. I like Gu Brew too. Can't vouch for most of the others.

Another idea, probably a better one really, is energy gels. Energy Gels

They should be easier to digest than solid food. A few people don't handle them well, so the only way to know is to try them. Roctane is for ultras so you don't need to spend the extra $ for those. My personal taste is Honey Stingers, but I've had GU, ClifShot, Hammer Gel and Power Bar Gel with no problems. Compare ingredients and pick your flavor. Take with some water to help digest them, but not with a sports drink as that may be too much for your stomach.

A local running store should have these in single packets. I take one about every 45 minutes in a marathon. They may have samples of the drink mixes too, though you may have to ask.

The site I pointed you to (no affiliation) has free 2 day shipping and I've never had an issue. Got a box of gels once where a few burst, and they shipped me a new box, no questions asked.

You might also pay attention to what you eat before and make sure you start with a pretty full tank. Of course don't eat immediately before exercise.

If this doesn't help consider whether you are getting low on electrolytes. Electrolyte Supplements & Salt Tablets fixes that, but usually I don't worry unless I'm sweating a whole lot or going over 3 hours. I'm talking totally soaked clothes, not just sweaty. You can start by just taking in some salt or eating something salty like pretzels. Beware of too much water as that dilutes electrolytes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
For intense workouts I usually go with a liquid protein (powder) mix, that also contains l-glutamine. During intense training, glutamine levels are greatly depleted, which decreases strength, stamina and recovery. Liquids are preferable to me, because I generally can't eat (and am not very hungry) during strenuous workouts.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I don't eat anything during heavy exercise - - I just can't. My digestive system shuts down and I can't do it.

How about checking with your doctor to see what he says about this question in the context of your pre-diabetes? He probably has the best answer to this question.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for your post. I am in Canada, and I cannot find Tailwind. Anyway, I like this energy gel idea (if I can find something with no caffeine.) They seem to be costly here (well all supplement kind of things are very costly here), but I may check out Costco here for some of the things you've mentioned since prices are pretty reasonable there.

No I don't sweat that much, but I've seen some guys changing shirts mid-way.

Yeah, I hear you about the full tank. I don't like a very full feeling and sometimes, I underdo it before exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Bananas were my first thought, as were sports drinks. If you don't like how sugary Gatorade and Powerade are, you could try one of these:

Hydration Drink Mix

If I had to suggest one I would probably pick Tailwind. I use Perpeteum myself but that is more for ultra running, as it's slower release over more time. Heed is good but some people call it Heave because of how it tastes and what it does to their stomach. I like Gu Brew too. Can't vouch for most of the others.

Another idea, probably a better one really, is energy gels. Energy Gels

They should be easier to digest than solid food. A few people don't handle them well, so the only way to know is to try them. Roctane is for ultras so you don't need to spend the extra $ for those. My personal taste is Honey Stingers, but I've had GU, ClifShot, Hammer Gel and Power Bar Gel with no problems. Compare ingredients and pick your flavor. Take with some water to help digest them, but not with a sports drink as that may be too much for your stomach.

A local running store should have these in single packets. I take one about every 45 minutes in a marathon. They may have samples of the drink mixes too, though you may have to ask.

The site I pointed you to (no affiliation) has free 2 day shipping and I've never had an issue. Got a box of gels once where a few burst, and they shipped me a new box, no questions asked.

You might also pay attention to what you eat before and make sure you start with a pretty full tank. Of course don't eat immediately before exercise.

If this doesn't help consider whether you are getting low on electrolytes. Electrolyte Supplements & Salt Tablets fixes that, but usually I don't worry unless I'm sweating a whole lot or going over 3 hours. I'm talking totally soaked clothes, not just sweaty. You can start by just taking in some salt or eating something salty like pretzels. Beware of too much water as that dilutes electrolytes.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What do you take? I need fast acting carbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
For intense workouts I usually go with a liquid protein (powder) mix, that also contains l-glutamine. During intense training, glutamine levels are greatly depleted, which decreases strength, stamina and recovery. Liquids are preferable to me, because I generally can't eat (and am not very hungry) during strenuous workouts.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My doctor in Canada doesn't consider me to be pre-diabetic.

I got my blood work done here in Canada a couple of months ago (I brought the numbers from a few months ago in the US, but he wanted to run them again probably because Canada uses different units for many of the tests) and my numbers came back within the normal range. I told him my fasting blood sugar came back 101 a few years ago (A1c of 5.8) and I was then considered prediabetic but then subsequent tests were better (I think it was fasting BS of 91 and A1c of 5.6 or something like that a year later...) He said that is not considered prediabetic either, so in his mind, I am not prediabetic. I still watch what I eat because to me, once a prediabetic, always a prediabetic and I know for a fact that I do poorly with starchy food when I do not exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Personally I don't eat anything during heavy exercise - - I just can't. My digestive system shuts down and I can't do it.

How about checking with your doctor to see what he says about this question in the context of your pre-diabetes? He probably has the best answer to this question.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I'm with WR2.

What your describing sounds like how I used to feel every day. My belief is I was eating too many refined carbs for breakfast. Sugary "berry" greek yogurt and a banana. By later morning I'd get light headed and feel like I was going pass out. I find by replacing the sugar with steel cut Oatmeal and whole milk I never get those feelings.

Post workout we take a half a measure of protein powder. Nitro Tech.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
What do you eat during streneous exercises
Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Gatorade, bananas, trail mix, potato chips/Fritos, and protein bars on long bike rides and hikes. My runs are less than 1 hr so far, so no eating is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Since you have more time now, why not try making your own granola bars, with natural ingredients?

Sep 14, 2015 - Uploaded by The Domestic Geek
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I run for exercise, so don't eat anything while I'm running. But right afterwards, if I feel particularly drained, a couple of pieces of dried fruits and/or nuts helps. I typically have a dried apricot or two along with some almonds. I don't need much - just this little bit helps.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #12

Second the gels. Find some that taste good to you. I've personally had good experience with Clif Shots (vanilla is fave), Carb Boom (apple pie), and Gu (plain). AccelGel is good too (strawberry kiwi) and has 4g protein per serving. I've used those at various times during triathlon training and racing up to half ironman, marathoning, 5-HR bike rides, etc. for you, I'd recommend finding a couple of flavor a you like, eat something before you play, then shoot a gel every half hour, take before you crap out and you'll go strong. Marathoning, I take one every 20 min.

Save the protein shake for after. Your muscles need the glycogen from the carbs to function, and unless you take a whey isolate, there is a good chance it'll upset your stomach during exercise involving running, jumping, etc. (Sorry, but I don't think weight lifting advice applies here.) Many gels also have electrolytes which will help avoid cramping and fogginess.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I never eat or drink anything during workout, skating or lumberjacking, or in my younger days during extended Ju-Jutsu no matter how strenuous. It is a leftover habit from my Army days.

I do drink a glass of water before getting on with it, and drink lots of water afterwards. Only eat an hour after, never less than an hour. Never eat before any of the activities.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Since you have more time now, why not try making your own granola bars, with natural ingredients?

Sep 14, 2015 - Uploaded by The Domestic Geek
These look absolutely delicious - I am definitely going to try making some - I think they will make great snacks even if you don't exercise.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What do you take? I need fast acting carbs.
For those very intense workouts (ie olympic powerlifts) that can lead to a crash, I'll mix up about 8 oz of Intek Post Workout powder w/water and sip it during the session. I cannot eat any solid food during workouts, just cannot do it.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I checked out some energy gels, but boy, they are kind of expensive, especially here in Canada (not exactly cheap in the US either.)

In the same vein as what meadbh pointed out, I started looking at DIY drinks/gels and there seems to be a lot of sites with different recipes. (I was surprised that most of the links I looked at were written by cyclists.) Here is one
DIY Sports Nutrition | CyclingTips
(There was a whole different world out there I didn't know about)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Honey is a very viable alternative to gels. I just have trouble finding a way to carry honey on the run, especially during races, without risk of it getting sticky all over. In a gym during breaks playing volleyball you shouldn't have that problem. As long as you can handle honey and like it. I love it.

I posted this before reading the link you posted which suggests honey as well.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Honey is a very viable alternative to gels. I just have trouble finding a way to carry honey on the run, especially during races, without risk of it getting sticky all over. In a gym during breaks playing volleyball you shouldn't have that problem. As long as you can handle honey and like it. I love it.

I posted this before reading the link you posted which suggests honey as well.
Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it.
When I think of it, when I played volleyball in high school (This was in Japan back in the 70's, so decades before any sports drinks were invented), we sometimes had an all day tournament that lasted pretty much all day (if you keep on winning, which we often did.) Our coach told us to bring lemon slices soaked in honey and that's what we ate throughout the tournament between games, so yeah, what you say confirms what we did back then. Yep, I can easily bring honey with me - I can dilute it with water and add some lemon rings to it. That would be tasty! (I might add some L-Glutamine later to see if that helps with muscle soreness..)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

You might be able to find those gels at a bike shop if you have one fairly near.
I do fine on ~2hr bike rides, but was having issues at 4hrs and up. Especially during summer. Bicyclists call it 'bonking'. Various symptoms, but I'd start having mild nausea off and on at about the 5 hr mark on the first couple of long rides.

Diet becomes especially important on endurance rides. I've found that a very light breakfast is best for me. I start the day with a small bowl of oatmeal. During the rides, I eat very lightly at the rest stops. Bananas are ok. The rest stops usually have them cut in half, which is all I need. I stay away from sweets. Honey is ok for a boost, but cookies at the rest stops made things worse. I usually nibble on salted almonds with a swig of water while underway.
I've stopped drinking the gatorade type drinks and go with gels and water.

I'm dialed in pretty close with what works for me personally, but still experimenting. You'll likely need to do the same.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

Honey would be good. Amazon? That's where I find mine, usually around $.75 per
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote