Join Early Retirement Today

What do you take daily to keep good health?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
gone traveling

I'm not on any doctor medications, I was on a BP med around 10 years ago after my doctor prescribed it with borderline hypertension, came off it 5 years ago and it's been around 115/75 since then. Daily, I take vitamin C for the immune system, Beta Sitosterol for cholesterol/prostate health and drink 1/2 gallon of green tea. For me BP is my #1 concern, as high blood pressure usually leads to other illnesses. Just curious as to what some of your "go to" natural cures you use
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I take low dose aspirin to reduce heart attack/stroke risk; lutein for eye health; and cranberry pills for urinary tract health. All are for family or personal health history issues, all recommended by my doctors. But my #1 daily health "fix" is to stay active. I'm the only one of my siblings not on BP meds, which I attribute to regular exercise, mainly running. I've seen your BP numbers at times, including today as taken at my doctor's office, but it's usually not quite that low. My thinking is that I keep my fitness level high, it keeps my weight lower, and my BP under control.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

100 gm minimum of milk chocolate daily, but more doesn't hurt either.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Aim for 8 hours of sleep and at least 8 km of walking. And as Meadbh pointed out, just try to eat real food - my definition of 'real' is relatively liberal.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Exercise and a mostly plant based diet.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Aim for 8 hours of sleep and at least 8 km of walking. And as Meadbh pointed out, just try to eat real food - my definition of 'real' is relatively liberal.
Most of our diet my grandparents would recognize, except for Ben and Jerry's.

Walk a couple of miles most days. Weights at the gym 3x weekly.

DW expressed an interest in fishing. The best fishing around is at the end of a four mile trail😁.

Sadly I've had to go back on a beta blocker. I appreciate what it does for me, but hate the fact I need a medication.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #7

Vitamun D and magnesium
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #8

Vitamin D. I also take a beta-blocker and a blood thinner.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

cranberry pill, vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, timed release vitamin B complex, and also a daily plate of spring mix greens for vitamin A as well as it just gives me energy and helps with digestive regularity, daily kefir is a relatively recent addition to my routine and provides benefits similar to the greens in terms of energy and digestion
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A lot more than anyone has listed here so far.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Multi vitamin + D and Mg
white tea
low dose aspirin
walk 2+ mi/day
regular sleep hours every day
Old 08-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #12
gone traveling

diet and exercise
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to take a multi vitamin, krill oil, a probiotic, and a few other supplements. But I couldn't tell if these were doing anything for me, so I stopped and now I don't take any pill regularly. A healthy diet and moderate exercise is all I do to keep in good health. Knock wood...
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #14

Magnesium, fish oil, a good multi. 8-9 hours of sleep per night. Daily exercise: spinning and pilates combined with a good amount of walking and biking outdoors. Minimize stress as much as possible. Pray and meditate daily. Quiet time reading books daily. Try to eat a balanced, whole food diet but fail more than I'd like to admit. At age 60 the only malady I suffer from is big toe arthritis but I've learned to live/work with it. Otherwise, I'm blessed with great health!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I used to take a multi vitamin, krill oil, a probiotic, and a few other supplements. But I couldn't tell if these were doing anything for me, so I stopped and now I don't take any pill regularly. A healthy diet and moderate exercise is all I do to keep in good health. Knock wood...
I'm skeptical of what I take, too. Sometimes I wish I could monitor my own cholesterol to see if the stuff I'm taking to keep it down (Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Green Tea pills) is doing anything. I suppose I could stop them all a month or two before my next doc's visit. I also take Vitamin C.

I think what really helps in my case is a 1- hour+ daily cardio workout and (mostly) very healthy eating.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A shower.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nothing... no meds at all. I used to take low-dose aspirin until they decided that it did more harm than good for those who have not had a heart attack so I stopped and my doc is fine with that.... truth be known, I didn't remember to take it more often than not. I d to take red rice yeast and fish oil too but don't bother anymore.

I do try to do something physical each day... be it golf, pickleball, walking or some strenuous chores... I was surprised at how much I walked when I golfed 18 holes with a cart... it is typically over 3 miles according to my vivofit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #18

One thing I try NOT to have daily is more than 3 beers. They say up to 2 beers per day is good for you, but more is not good. Also, I take 1 synthroid pill every day, one antacid pill (PPI) every 2 days. Used to take fish oil, but stopped after the news about its possible bad effect on prostate. Tried taking multivitamins a few different times, but they always made me feel tired, so stopped.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #19

81 mg Asprin. Fish oil capsule. Vitamin E, Multivitamin, CQ10, Resveratrol.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #20

I take a multi vitamin, krill oil, vitamins C and D, magnesium and garlic. Not sure the multi vitamin does that much but there seems to be better evidence for krill oil and D. I try and walk 3 to 4 miles two or three days a week and occasionally lift weights. I try and get some sun exposure for D. We eat a whole food, low carb diet that has helped me loose weight and stay thin (weight, blood pressure and cholesterol are all down). I sleep 8 to 9 hours most nights. The only RX is for an eye condition.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote