Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I take my time.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Multivitamin, low dose, aspirin, b12, iron, vitamin A. But I cannot separate that from exercise. Go to gym 3-4 times a week to workout for an hour, do a daily 5 min "intense" workout, and try to get in 10-15,000 steps a day.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I take it easy....

No, not really. Cholesterol is not a problem, nor is any other data point in my blood work. Lucky, so far at 73.

I take:

20 mg bata blocker
81 mg aspirin
Vitamin D
Premier Protein drink (12 oz) (30% protein)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #44

Do a water fitness class and then swim laps 3x week.

Walk on the beach for 2 miles (longer on days with no water fitness class) every morning - 7days a week.

Sleep 8 hours/night.

I take methylized b12 and methylized b9 (our family has variants of the MTHFR mutation so we need the methylized form and can't break down the green veggie folate into the form that makes the neurotransmitters happy.)
I take Iron and Fish oil.

Feeling healthier now than I have in a long time- probably because of the swimming laps - which I added to the mix in late spring.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't take any food supplement.

I believe in moderation. I eat good meals with plenty of fruits. Dinner always before 6. Walk after meals.

Used to run half marathon every weekend, but that is my previous life 15+ years ago.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Used to run half marathon every weekend, but that is my previous life 15+ years ago.
I used to run 10 miles a day, every day, but that was in a previous life almost 45 years ago.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Walk 3-4 miles most days. Eat only whole, real foods--low carb. Take several prescription meds. Very few vitamin supplements. Get some sun for Vitamin D each day in summer.

And plenty of "me" time! I am happy and grateful for everything I have.
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I used to take a multi vitamin, krill oil, a probiotic, and a few other supplements. But I couldn't tell if these were doing anything for me, so I stopped and now I don't take any pill regularly. A healthy diet and moderate exercise is all I do to keep in good health. Knock wood...
I have an autoimmune problem and have my blood tested every four weeks, so I can experiment and see what happens. If I go out and party, eat party food and drink it shows on my blood results.

I take vitamin D (prescription), statin, low-dose aspirin, multi, calcium, krill oil, and turmeric. I keep trying to change my lifestyle in order to get off the statins.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I am a type II diabetic and chose to go on insulin pump for stability. I never stop building on my three houses and find my blood sugar reading to.he 40 points lower with a little hard work.

I eat healthy and can eat normally when on the pump.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
a dump.
Wow, you dont post much , but when you do its to the point.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
What do you take daily to keep good health?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #51

What do you take daily to keep good health?

Vitamin D and a multi vitamin.
10 mg statin but not sure any doctor has explained why it's good.
At least a 2 mile walk a day.
My food eats a plant based diet....
Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
.........10 mg statin but not sure any doctor has explained why it's good................
On a related note, the newest Consumer Reports magazine has an article about rethinking the drugs we take daily and the long term consequences of taking some drugs. I was on a statin, prescribed as kind of a "why not", that had left me feeling kind of fuzzy headed as well as omeprezole. Even the omeprezole, an OTC drug has some kind of scary long term effects including more susceptibility to antibiotic resistant bugs. So, I'm weaning myself off these drugs. If I suddenly quit posting, it killed me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
On a related note, the newest Consumer Reports magazine has an article about rethinking the drugs we take daily and the long term consequences of taking some drugs. I was on a statin, prescribed as kind of a "why not", that had left me feeling kind of fuzzy headed as well as omeprezole. Even the omeprezole, an OTC drug has some kind of scary long term effects including more susceptibility to antibiotic resistant bugs. So, I'm weaning myself off these drugs. If I suddenly quit posting, it killed me.
My 33 yo daughter was just prescribed 40mg statin! Her cholesterol was in the 300's. (That is all she could remember from her dr. visit; she said it is pretty much a blur with all the bad news.)

She gave blood about a month ago and subsequently received a letter stating her cholesterol level was significantly high and she should see a dr.

She is 5'3 and 110 lbs., exercises and/or jogs every day. Her M.D. said it has to be hereditary because nobody has a diet THAT bad. He told her that, without meds, he could almost guarantee she would have a stroke within 12 years.

Sorry to get off track. I am just worried about the statins, but not seeing she has much choice right now.

Me > no prescription meds. Taking Claritin and using Flonase these days..... should be over in about a month....or two

I tried fish oil a couple years ago, but if I had fish more than once a week, there were icky nose bleeds
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
My 33 yo daughter was just prescribed 40mg statin! Her cholesterol was in the 300's. (That is all she could remember from her dr. visit; she said it is pretty much a blur with all the bad news.)

She gave blood about a month ago and subsequently received a letter stating her cholesterol level was significantly high and she should see a dr.

She is 5'3 and 110 lbs., exercises and/or jogs every day. Her M.D. said it has to be hereditary because nobody has a diet THAT bad. He told her that, without meds, he could almost guarantee she would have a stroke within 12 years.

Sorry to get off track. I am just worried about the statins, but not seeing she has much choice right now.

Me > no prescription meds. Taking Claritin and using Flonase these days..... should be over in about a month....or two

I tried fish oil a couple years ago, but if I had fish more than once a week, there were icky nose bleeds

Yes it's familial high cholesterol. My daughter inherited this from her father and had to go on stating since age 11.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #55

Nordic Naturals Omega 3D fish oil. That's it.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Baby aspirin
Vit D 2000u
Colace 100mg
CoQ10 300mg
Mindful mediation exercise about 10 min (not quite every day but I think this one is probably what does the most to promote my mental and possibly physical health).
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Vitamin D and a multi vitamin.
10 mg statin but not sure any doctor has explained why it's good.
At least a 2 mile walk a day.
My food eats a plant based diet....
Re statins...

It is important for the public to recognize that most of the "scientific" research in favor of cholesterol-lowering statins is flawed and fraudulent (read Dr. Uffe Ravnskov's work).

The most reliable evidence has long tied statin use with memory problems, muscle disorders, liver damage, cataracts, nerve damage, arterial calcification, pancreatitis, erectile dysfunction, brain dysfunction, diabetes, and with an increased risk of cancer and higher mortality. There are practically no, or only marginal, benefits from these toxic drugs.

The physiological mechanisms of how statins do serious damage are also well understood, such as by their impairment of oxidative cell metabolism, the increase in inflammation and cell destruction, the lowering of cholesterol and sex hormone production, the promotion of pancreatic injury, etc. - rather thoroughly explained in this scholarly article by a published author of the Orthomolecular Medicine News organization, on how statins and a cholesterol-lowering popular diet pill promote diabetes at Do Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects Boost Diabetes? - look at Figure 7 to see how irrational it is to block the production of cholesterol!

Yet despite of the existence of that scientific knowledge, the medical business and the public health authorities keep ignoring it and, for example, continue to recommend statins to diabetics and make claims that they have a low risk profile despite that they are also significantly linked to cancer and higher mortality (just look at the propaganda put out by the Mayo clinic on statin drugs: "the risk of life-threatening side effects from statins is very low").

And because of such medical propaganda, few people are aware that the medical claims of benefits of statins are mostly based on junk studies conducted by people with vested interests. And, logically, it's mostly the corporate medical business and other people with similar vested interests tied to it (eg, mouthpieces, hacks) who promote the alleged value of these highly lucrative products.

Also, older people with HIGH cholesterol live longer than those with low cholesterol levels (see above mentioned article for numerous scientific study references confirming this).

Because the cholesterol-heart disease theory, or rather medical dogma, is wrong, the use of statins is also wrong by logical extension.

So the real truth is that statins have almost no real benefit in the very vast majority of users. They do more harm than good (read Uffe Ravnskov's "The Cholesterol Myths" and Malcolm Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con"). It's one of many "scientific" scams of the criminal mainstream medical business. But not too many old folks here are open to receiving information that opposes what the authorities have indoctrinated them with...
Zuamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #58

For me, fish oil, vitamin D, and a multi.

Good thread, just to see what people have been convinced is "good" to take (benefits outweigh the risks). Of course we're all different and benefits and risks can mean much more or less, depending on genetics and health status.

Has anyone found anything cause any side-effect, so stopped taking something?

For me, this was a long time ago, but I noticed that vitamin E apparently caused occasional PVC's (heart flutters). I went on and off vitamin E several times and it was certainly correlated. It was just synthetic E, not "mixed tocopherols", like they say is "good" nowadays.

Also, I think there is some vitamin that causes my hip joint to hurt. Recently I cut back to taking one of my "two per day" multivitamin because of the hip, and the twinge went away.

Another one was that CoQ10 messed up my digestion, so I never tried that again.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Has anyone found anything cause any side-effect, so stopped taking something?
Since I'm one of these get up and wander around, on the 'puter at 3 a.m. then back to bed types, I tried Melatonin once...once...and once was enough..no thank you.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Since I'm one of these get up and wander around, on the 'puter at 3 a.m. then back to bed types, I tried Melatonin once...once...and once was enough..no thank you.
How much did you take? Supposedly one of those drugs where less is more i.e., 1/2mg
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote