Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
The concept of individualistic goes right down the drain when a highly individiualistic person needs expensive health care, due to injury, illness, but mostly old age. He may have been the marlboro man paying his insurance premiums, but the big hit is being taken by the rest in society, spread among us all.

Here society pools together the resources to pay for the care, whether medicare, medicaid, private insurance, or hitting the uninsured with the big bill.

The fact is when we take off our politically tinted glasses and look at the what reality is, is that the society, the US for example, is the risk pool. Each of us in most emergencies will receive medical care. When you are young and healthy, you feel why should you pay for the old and sick, but reality again strikes, chances are you will get old and sick.

I for one believe that we all need to kick in our bucks early into the system, whether private or national, when we first start working, since we all are at risk, and any insurance fool knows, the more in the risk pool, the cheaper per capita it is.

As for being paid for services, I agree, as a doc, you should be fairly paid, and the system can sustain that.

jug
Your post highlights two thoughts...

1) (Really just restating) - politicians and other universal health care advocates love to tell us 'there are 47 million Americans without health care!' The fact is, those 47 milllion have health care (at least major/catastrophic) that is subsidized by them and every other American one way or another. So we're already paying pretty close to the full cost like other countries (we just get to pay a premium for administrative costs, more R&D, malpractice, obesity/lack of exercise/poor diets, med school loans, etc. - but I digress).

2) The system you describe is really another pay-as-you-go system like Soc Security, with the same demographic challenges. It's insurance, not savings or banking for your own personal health care expenses.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hopefully the fixin' is beginning.

Private sector signs on for health care reform - May. 10, 2009

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
"pledge from the private sector could reduce the growth in health care spending by 1.5 percentage points a year, for a savings of $2 trillion over 10 years"

Well, this is a small concession, when you stop and think about the percentage that they are offering...seems like more PR than anything else.
Somehow, if you compare it to a retail store that offers to give you a 1.5 % discount, would you be overjoyed? However, the savings of
$2 trillion makes one wonder just how much money is really being spent and could possibly more be trimmed from future expenses.
Patsweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsweb View Post
I think that it is time that we let our members of Congress know that this is un-acceptable. They need to stand up for up and not just for who gives them the biggest contributions for re-election.
As long as 98.6% of the voters vote for one of the two dominant political parties, things will go on as they have.

-ERD50
Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
Well, I think she does have Medicare, but evidently you only have so many days you can stay in hospital under the Medicare plan, and I believe you are charged a % of all cost under Medicare (20%, maybe). My belief is that Medicaid pays for all the costs Medicare won't pay. I'm not old enough yet to participate in Medicare, so I don't know all the ins and outs.

But my mind struggles with contribute basically nothing (she has never had money/income to amount to anything) and take so much. Truly, I'm not being negative; just trying to wrap my mind around this situation and the health care debate going on in our nation.
Yes, because she is elderly if she is poor enough she will be eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid is always short of money so who they cover is restricted, being poor alone is not enough.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Your post highlights two thoughts...

1) (Really just restating) - politicians and other universal health care advocates love to tell us 'there are 47 million Americans without health care!' The fact is, those 47 milllion have health care (at least major/catastrophic) that is subsidized by them and every other American one way or another. So we're already paying pretty close to the full cost like other countries (we just get to pay a premium for administrative costs, more R&D, malpractice, obesity/lack of exercise/poor diets, med school loans, etc. - but I digress).
Not according to what I have read. Hospitals have to treat emergencies to the point of stabilization, but they don't provide ongoing care. Chemo. Drugs for heart disease. Etc. Sometimes there are sources, but often there are not. Choices are made. Delay going to the doctor because you can't afford to pay. Other people bankrupt themselves paying for care. About 18,000 people a year die as a result of not getting care due to inability to pay for the care. Diabetics who don't get their drugs. People who are depressed but don't get treated and commit suicide. People with heart disease. People with cancer. Etc.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote