Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2018, 03:54 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Many thanks to everyone's reply.

FYI - we had steaks on the grill last night using our 15 yr old falling apart cheap grill. Definitely needs replacing. Marinated steaks in olive oil/onion powder/garlic powder/pepper for about 8 hrs in refrigerator. Medium rare came out great. Grilled corn on the cob, grilled pineapple, grilled zucchini, and grilled peaches. Everyone had lots good grilled foods.

I'm hooked, just want to wait for sales - decided to go with ....
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a Vision kamado grill that is a Big Green Egg knockoff and I love it. I have used Big Green Egg’s in the past, and this Vision is identical. It was half the price though.

Costco and Sam’s Club carries them. Highly recommended.
ndlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote here for the Big Green Egg or knockoff. I have grilled and smoked for decades on propane and charcoal, Weber, Charbroil, you name it, and would never have bought a Big Green Egg, but about 3 years ago our son gave us his because he was moving, and I am completely hooked now. One the most surprising features is how much less charcoal is used. That saves a lot of money over time.
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do hardly no grilling any more but at one time I loved to grill. The one thing I learned is what ever grill you buy the one thing that is important is the quality of the grates you cook/grill on. The heavier/thicker grate the better IMO.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if it were just a choice between a Weber or one of the cheap propane grills, I'd definitely go with a Weber. I have had several cheapos, and they fall apart, rust through, and eventually you can't find replacement parts.
I now have two Webers (propane), as I took the small one from my city home when I moved permanently to the lake, and a larger one.

Now, I am intrigued by the Green Egg, and I bet they are wonderful. Probably a bit more fussing around than the easy simplicity of a propane grill, but if you are interested in that, I'd bet you'd get awesome results.

I have a simple electric smoker, which I am using right now to smoke a beef brisket.

Enjoy your new hobby!
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I'm on my third Weber grill. Currently Weber genesis II E410 with 4 burners has been excellent. Even heat throughout.

Yes I agree on this one. I think likely the best i have had although the Vermont Castings unit currently at the cottage has been very long-lived though evenness of heat and time to preheat not as good.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1, and I think the same about any outdoor grill.

I can't imagine wanting to stand outside and grill in the extreme heat and humidity of our New Orleans summers, when I could cook in my nice air conditioned kitchen for less money.

Besides, you could get a countertop electric grill just like mine for $27.

I have something similar. Quick and efficient. Perfect for people who are single. When I want that charcoal flavor I have a small Weber grill. Does the job and easy to set aside on my smallish back porch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Ju...FY7ZwAodu48J8Q
Old 07-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #48

Webber all the way. The smaller Q series are good for patios and camping or 2-4 people.

Genesis or upper end lines are good for everything else. You can add charcoal briquettes between the flame guards for more flavor too. They get crazy hot even in cold climates.

Green eggs and knock offs are awesome too. Just limited space to cook on, IMO.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We went up to a premium grill about 3 years ago and bought a Fire Magic. It’s amazing. The main reason we bought it is it was the smallest one we could find depth-wise and we needed this for our condo’s balcony. It cost 10-15 times more than a CharBroil but the grill rack is so sturdy we will probably have it for life. Heats up very quickly, even heat, really nice grill.
I agree with Scuba. It all depends on the budget. But a big leage choice would be FireMagic. I own 2 of these after many successful years with Weber. I had never heard of Fire magic until by accident I walked into their California assembly plant. I got a tour and was hooked . A bit pricy but worth the $ if you are seriously into the grill. I am doing a chicken as we chat. Like you the RE got me into grilling and my DW does the inside cooking and I do the outside.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post

I agree with Scuba. It all depends on the budget. But a big leage choice would be FireMagic. I own 2 of these after many successful years with Weber. I had never heard of Fire magic until by accident I walked into their California assembly plant. I got a tour and was hooked . A bit pricy but worth the $ if you are seriously into the grill. I am doing a chicken as we chat. Like you the RE got me into grilling and my DW does the inside cooking and I do the outside.

A little pricey More like a LOT pricey...

I could buy 3 nice Webbers for the price of one FireMagic.... and I thought the Webber was pricey
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I don’t plan to get a Big Green Egg, or even a little one. I’m very happy with my gas grill. But I am considering a smoker.

I have a tiny Little Chief that I’ve used for hot smoked salmon. It does a nice job of smoking the fish (great flavor), but lately doesn’t bring it high enough for a safe temp so I finish in oven.

I’m looking at the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. My cousin served us an awesome smoked chicken the other day.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

We bought a Traeger smoker grill from Costco 5 years ago and will never go back to gas/charcoal grill again. It burns wood pellets, and the taste of the meat/fish, etc is delicious. Check it out...
RetireRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1, and I think the same about any outdoor grill.

I can't imagine wanting to stand outside and grill in the extreme heat and humidity of our New Orleans summers, when I could cook in my nice air conditioned kitchen for less money.

Besides, you could get a countertop electric grill just like mine for $27.

I used to have a propane grill on my patio, but during the summertime it didn't get much use. When it self destructed I was relieved and I never replaced it. A countertop grill like mine is perfect for 1-2 people. If you normally have to cook for a huge family, maybe you would have no choice but to stand outside in the heat.
OK, I still have no desire to grill outside, but I had a rather alarming thing happen last night. I grilled a wonderful 6 oz steak for myself at 11 PM, and then after I finished it, Frank came over and we talked until 2 AM. Suddenly we heard a sizzling, popping sound and I discovered that I had left the grill ON!!! Pretty scary and it ruined the grill. If he had not come over, I would have been sound asleep and probably would have burned the house down.

So, I retract my recommendation. I ordered an InstantPot (see the Amazon thread) and plan to pressure cook my steaks. I just won't grill any more with my handy-dandy electric grill. I definitely don't have dementia but I am getting older pretty fast these days, and old people get drifty. I want something with an automatic shut-off for safety.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... old people get drifty.
Thank you!

At last I have a diagnosis...
Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Pressure cooked boiled steak does not sound good. Don't think that slab of grey meat will look good either.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #56

I've stayed at several five star vacation rentals that seem to favor DynaGlo brand. I think that will be my next brand when my cheapie $120 grille bites it (after I of course swap + replace the burners a few time).

By then there might be a new kid on the block in terms of good BBQ grille.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #57

Quote:
OK, I still have no desire to grill outside, but I had a rather alarming thing happen last night. I grilled a wonderful 6 oz steak for myself at 11 PM, and then after I finished it, Frank came over and we talked until 2 AM. Suddenly we heard a sizzling, popping sound and I discovered that I had left the grill ON!!! Pretty scary and it ruined the grill. If he had not come over, I would have been sound asleep and probably would have burned the house down.

So, I retract my recommendation. I ordered an InstantPot (see the Amazon thread) and plan to pressure cook my steaks. I just won't grill any more with my handy-dandy electric grill. I definitely don't have dementia but I am getting older pretty fast these days, and old people get drifty. I want something with an automatic shut-off for safety.
I've left a grille on near the house. Just cost me a propane tank and I heated the neighborhood for a night.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Pressure cooked boiled steak does not sound good. Don't think that slab of grey meat will look good either.
I found a video by a guy who cooks a frozen steak in his Instant Pot. It doesn't look great, but I think it should be (marginally?) edible.

Anyway, it would look better than my Dream Home burning down. (I attached a photo of somebody else's house burning down! Mine hasn't yet.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (27.4 KB, 22 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

If you plan to get a gas or propane grill, pay extra attention to the burners. Some are made from stamped steel (like sheet metal) and the upper and lower halves are welded or brazed together. These burners are too lightweight to last very long. Instead, look for cast (one-piece) burners which will be noticeably heavier and will last far longer.
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You can do a brilliant job roasting a steak in the oven in a cast iron pan. You sear it stove top first. For tenderloin we prefer this over grilled steaks.