What group can you join to get health insurance

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wanted to gather more info on heath insurance after FIRE. As we discussed there are various programs but any ideas about joining a group now so you will have the option of buying group insurance in the future.

One poster mentioned beomming a member of IEEE for 2 years. Can anyone join?
Any other stable organizations where one can pay annual dues put the membership card in the drawer and when necessary apply for group heath as a member of this organization.

Looking for organizations that do not have any requirements except dues.

AARP has a health insurance program. Also, some college alumni associations have group insurance. I did a masters with University of Phoenix online and they have a group program available to graduates.

Both Costco and Sam's club offer some sort of health insurance. I'm not sure what the requirements are, though.

In some states, simply having your own business lets you get in at the "non-retail" rates...Mass is one of them. No underwriting/no pre-existng exclusions, guarantee issue and no cancellation of coverage except for non-payment...

The state will even pay for about 60% of it (the small business plan) at the insurance company of your choice -  if you have less than 50 employees and meet the income guidelines. On an ER income, and with a big family, its not hard to meet the guidelines. They don't even ask about assets... :)

To join IEEE, I think you need to have an electrical engineering degree, which I have. When I joined there didn't seem to be any actual verification of the engineering degree requirement though. YMMV.

I've heard that in California you need to have at least 2 employees in your small business to buy into employer health insurance programs.

Old McDonald...where can I find more info about the health insurance coverage you describe for Massachusetts? Have you used this in the past in MA? Do you use it currently?
Thanks!
Adventuregirl  8)

Hi Gerald -

You don't need to be a member of a group to get health insurance. My wife and I each have an individual policy with Blue Cross Blue Shield at reasonable rates.

As others suggested, we used ehealthinsurance.com which allowed us to price out and evaluate the plans offered in our state.

If you are a member of a credit union.... they may offer group insurance.

Good luck.

You might look at your state Farm Bureau. In my state they contract with Wellmark (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) and cost about $40/year for the annual membership plus the insurance premium. When I started they were cheaper than individual Wellmark policies. (Membership is open to anyone, not just farmers).

Back
Top Bottom